Something Different

]-[@n$0Ma☩!©

Zombie Zero, DFZ
I have always imagined that Paul would, one day, retire to a home workshop where he would spend his golden years chasing after grand-babies and hand-carving archtops; what I regard as the ultimate expression of the guitar. Until then, I suppose this will have to do.

It belonged to a well-known jazz player in my home-town. He passed in 2017 and his widow is selling some of his gear through a trusted friend.

2004 Eastman AR810CE

IMG_1499-X3.jpg

IMG_1510-XL.jpg

Last edited:
I'm an old Guild archtop guy, have been for years. Although they vary insanely in quality, the good ones are fantastic. No Chinese for me, thank you. It is a very beautiful archtop nonetheless.

Although the MT15 is made in China, it's very easy for me to let that one slide when i hear the awesome tones I get from it.

I feel the same about guitars. In truth, its my only issue with this one. I’ve turned my nose up to Eastman’s for years.

I feel that way about most goods from China, instruments, fishing gear, everyday items too, but Eastman is a beacon of quality in a sea of sweatshop trash. They've been making classical instruments for a very long time and recently expanded into guitars. Finding archtops as their strength from the years of making top quality cellos.

Being a jazz head, I've played a few, and with the exception of a couple lower end models, I was more than impressed with the quality, playability, and sound. They actually are highly regarded in jazz guitar society.

Now that you mention it, I use an SE 2 Channel 20, made in China, as an open mike house amp, so I’m a hypocrite also. I don’t know their availability in Germany, but I gigged a Guild Dearmond X 135 for years that was made in Korea. I sold it to stay afloat after the divorce, and really wish I hadn’t. You may want to look at Peerless arch tops as well.

Eastman's are nice instruments, regardless of where they're made. Every one I've picked up has been top-notch.

I’m not an expert on archtops, far from it.

Other than the pickups, what’s so different?

Here’s a clip, sounds jazzy to me.

That PS Archtop sounds fantastic.

They really do a good job of bridging the gap between a 'semi-hollow electric' and an 'electrified acoustic' archtop. I love that there is no block between the hard-mounted bridge and the back. I wonder how it would sound with a floating bridge pickup mounted to an floating/elevated fretboard and no knobs or switches mounted on the top (so it can really vibrate).

I'd love to give one a spin.

I played a retromatic the other day. Nice guitar for what it is.

Back