Solid/Opaque colors

gball

I'm thinking of getting a 408 and I've been looking at the color options. I've realized, perhaps begrudgingly, that I prefer the solid colors in general and in particular, Frost Blue Metallic. I also realized that I tend to prefer solid colors over transparent with all my guitars (the only one that I have currently that shows wood being my Les Paul - and its a plaintop!).

Am I crazy for sticking with solid colors when PRS are available with the most stunning tops in the industry?

Great question. I guess I feel as though I "should" want a nice flamey top, but just don't. And one correction to my earlier statement, I have an SE245 that you can see the top on, but its the Grey Black and so dark it doesn't even look transparent most of the time so it doesn't register as transparent to me. Either way, I think I just like solid colors the best: when I got my Mira I went for black when there was a cherry, sunburst and sienna available as well.

Am I crazy for sticking with solid colors when PRS are available with the most stunning tops in the industry?

No, and while you may be in the minority, you are far from the only one. Give me cool opaque finishes any day. I can certainly appreciate nice wood, but the carves and lines of the PRS guitar are what sold me on it. Bling'ed out tops just don't highlight those elements of the design as well as opaque finishes do. I love the PRS guitar for the design and engineering that went into it, not the fancy tops (that are darn nice, and that consistently blow the competition out of the water!!).

That being said, I still have a Modern Eagle in my stable, which I love. The top doesn't make it sound any better, and if anything takes away from the understated beauty of the Brazilian neck. Great guitar though, for when I feel like being "fancy".

To me, figured tops are like putting makeup on a naturally beautiful girl....if the beauty is already there, why do anything to distract from it? But hey, it sure is fun to dress up and show off once in a while too! ;-)

Why would you cover up that beautiful wood? HA! This is how I do PRS Guitars.
531233_10151040493477412_393765980_n.jpg

You might be crazy, but that's probably not the reason. :D

I am the opposite. I always think I want a solid color, but I can't resist the wood. To each his own.

Another solid color fan here. I almost blew out my credit card last year because there was a black top 408 with all the specs I wanted. I regret letting it go, I do not regret spending a bunch of money I did not have.

I have six guitars currently, 5 are PRS and 4 are opaques. I have a vintage cherry over solid mahogany Mira, and a clear over swamp ash Jazzmaster-ish parts guitar. I'm all for plaintops and subtle figuring, but just don't go for the flametops the way some folks do.

I think if you like something, run with it. You like solid colors, go with it, you like translucent, also a nice choice. I'm personally a fan of both, I've owned both, and will continue to do so as long as it's something I want :)

The heart wants what the heart wants. Nothing wrong with preferring the opaque to the flamed - goldtop is classic for a reason. It's true that in the end, what matters is how it sounds, but if you like how it looks as well, you'll reach for it more often.

I'd have posted pics of my top two, but Mike done posted the same colors.

And as I typed this, I realized that my guitars of other brands (gasp!) are more opaque tops than figures. Huh.

I've owned a ton of Purdy topped PRS's....but like you I prefer opaque. If it ain't Jet White it ain't Right!!!

IMG_1347.jpg

IMG_1124.jpg

But one must own a Goldtop as well !!!!

IMG_2344.jpg

My version of a 10...well lets say 5 Top !!! LOL

DSC_8962.jpg

For me, solid colours are the bee's knees. Goldtops are the best, and black's not bad too. :D That said, the transparent colours on flame maple are still pretty cool to me.

I love when you can see a crazy flamed top covered by paint in the natural binding... its kinda subversive.

Back