soldering - what's the best way to solder in a sweet-switch and rotary switch?

Sir_Ricardo

Greetings - I've got an older Standard. When I got it, it had no pickups or pots.

I've since sourced some older PRS pickups, a volume pot, sweet-switch and a 5-way rotary switch.

So, now I need to solder all this stuff together.

I've got the diagram (schematic), so I can see how the wires are supposed to go. I also have an old Custom that has the same configuration, so I can use that as a visual reference.

Any thoughts on doing this? Do people first install the pots/switches, and solder the wires to them? Or, do you have the pots/switches slightly detached from the guitar for easier access? Or??

any advice / thoughts would be welcomed - thanks - Ricardo

Last edited:
i agree with above, do most of the soldering as you can outside the cavity. place a cloth on top of the body to prevent solder spray or splash ( it will come of so don't freak out if you get some on the guitar). Having wire that is a little longer than you want when done is better than burning yourself trying to solder in a tight space. ( the more you do the better you get. take your time)

Plan the setup first as well. know how you want to run the wire from each connection before you begin. This will provide a good step by step method and will help if you need to trouble shot later.

Back