Silver Sky guys...

thewesdavis

Do you have any "holy grail" pedals that you use just for singlecoils? I'm a humbucker guy but picked up a Swamp Ash Special, so wondering if any additions are needed to my pedalboard to better cater to the single coil/split sound.

A good compressor always helps.

Flavors of dirt is really up to your own personal tastes. If you've never tried a fuzz/muff, maybe give one of those a go. I find fuzzes/muffs a bit too wooly/muddy with HBs, but sound quite good with SCs.

If you are exploring Gilmour tones via Single Coils, a delay and some sort of modulation (or several!) would be useful.

But this really is a personal taste thing, unless there is a specific tone/artist you are chasing.

I always only needed two pedals with single coils.

1. Good reverb. As far as the stompbox reverbs go, Topanga is hard to beat.

2. Light overdrive - I have used good old TS9 for years and recently became a big fan of Nobles ODR style ODs. Now, I own Nordland ODR-CC+, made by an original Nobles designer. It has additional controls to take down bass or boost mids. It takes you from Nashville to Texas. Added bonus - it rips with humbuckers

I always only needed two pedals with single coils.

1. Good reverb. As far as the stompbox reverbs go, Topanga is hard to beat.

2. Light overdrive - I have used good old TS9 for years and recently became a big fan of Nobles ODR style ODs. Now, I own Nordland ODR-CC+, made by an original Nobles designer. It has additional controls to take down bass or boost mids. It takes you from Nashville to Texas. Added bonus - it rips with humbuckers
I have a mini tube screamer I am thinking of "dedicating" to single coil sound to really dial it in. I also just picked up an old Juggy Boost (I had one years ago and loved it as an always on tone shaper - so that may also quickly become a single-coil tone shaper.

Compression is a good suggestion - I've used an ego compressor sparingly in the past, but it never stuck enough to have a permanent spot on my board.

Thanks, all, for the input!

I have a mini tube screamer I am thinking of "dedicating" to single coil sound to really dial it in. I also just picked up an old Juggy Boost (I had one years ago and loved it as an always on tone shaper - so that may also quickly become a single-coil tone shaper.

Compression is a good suggestion - I've used an ego compressor sparingly in the past, but it never stuck enough to have a permanent spot on my board.

Thanks, all, for the input!

Yeah, I use a compressor, too. But not like an average, non-insane person would

Yeah, I use a compressor, too. But not like an average, non-insane person would

OK, since I am not average (well below, actually) and clearly am insane, I need more details.

FWIW, I run 2 compressors. An Ego up front like "an average, non-insane person" might, and a Ross post-gain pedals, Trey Anastasio style. Sometimes I don't run either one. Sometimes, I run both!

OK, since I am not average (well below, actually) and clearly am insane, I need more details.
Haha, ok then.

First thing: I'm using a Cali76 Bass compressor. I don't play bass, but according to Origin, the audio patch is the same and the only difference is Attack/Release is now one control, and it has an additional control called HPF; it makes the low frequencies not be processed by the compressor. I like fast, spongy, low response; it's important to me to keep it that way, so this compressor was quite a natural choice for me.

The second thing is the placement; I have it very last in an FX Loop and set as a limiter. It does drag a bit, but it mainly works as a mastering tool for me. I'm using a couple of boosters, and I like to hit the master differently depending on what I want them to do and how hard they hit the amp front end.

My amp has a master volume before the FX loop, so my compressor is my new Master Volume control. I have the preamp gain and channel master set the way I feel it sounds best, and then I put the overall amp volume from the pedalboard level.

As a bonus, it helps me to mimic natural amp sag on ANY volume.

My compressor is always on. All the pros, zero cons

I tend to use my compressor with my SE Silver Sky...but I'm really digging the Xotic Super Sweet boost I got last week far more than the comp.
Even a klon/klone with the gain under 9 oclock, treble at noon, volume to taste is a great pedal with single coils.

Back