Should I ('01 Santana SE)? Possible NGD

Cedarburger

I am looking at what appears and is reported to be a "like new" 2001 Santana SE stopbar this morning. I own an SE Custom (24) that I love. The price on the Santana is sub $300. My thought is even if I don't like it, at the price of a Sqiuer Affinity (new) or less than a used Classic Vibe, if nothing else it can be modded. So, never having even seen one up close, am I Iooking at this the right way? How are these guitars really? Reviews seem to range from poop to hidden gems. Any advice is appreciated.

Last edited:
@Cedarburger , whatever you do jump on this before you miss out on it. Don't even read the rest of my post! ;) Go buy it and then come back and read the rest of this!

My wife and I took a quick "long week-end" vacation in April to Kansas City. Just a 4 hour drive for us but far enough to seem we were getting away. A nice steak dinner and some shopping, etc. You get it. But curiously, considering we had limited time, my wife was very agreeable to my checking out a guitar store, a PRS dealer, Big Dude's Music City. I was really disappointed because they only had a couple core PRS guitars. But hanging there was a used 2001 Red PRS Santana SE. It was also mint. They were asking $449.99 for it. I thought that! was cheap! Compared to "su b $300"!!! It played really nice.

I didn't buy it but it kept calling out to me and finally bought it and had them ship it. I looked at it a little differently than the way you are. I figured if I didn't like it, I could dump it on Reverb and not lose much, if anything. I got it home and it is even better than I remembered it. I own a core PRS Santana. I don't want to admit it because I want to continue to justify what I paid for the core. But comparing the two....... read between the lines.

My SE is really hot. I'm not sure how the pu's on the SE, on the Korean SE's, compare to the Indonesia ones. But when I plugged it is it was LOUD!

Speaking of Reverb, if you haven't already, go there and do a search of used PRS Santana SE's. The cheapest I find is $350.

Here is a 2001 PRS Santana Stop tailpiece that is only in "Good" condition and they are asking $429 plus $100 shipping!!! "Body: there are marks, dents, dings, etc. all over the body (front, back, and edge). The most obvious/severe issue is the dent/ding on the front just above the bridge pickup — see the pix."

You didn't say how you are "looking at". I don't know if you are looking in person, or Craigs List or what. But if you think your find is legitimate, it is a steal at that price. I hope it is a NGD soon!

@Cedarburger , whatever you do jump on this before you miss out on it. Don't even read the rest of my post! ;) Go buy it and then come back and read the rest of this!

My wife and I took a quick "long week-end" vacation in April to Kansas City. Just a 4 hour drive for us but far enough to seem we were getting away. A nice steak dinner and some shopping, etc. You get it. But curiously, considering we had limited time, my wife was very agreeable to my checking out a guitar store, a PRS dealer, Big Dude's Music City. I was really disappointed because they only had a couple core PRS guitars. But hanging there was a used 2001 Red PRS Santana SE. It was also mint. They were asking $449.99 for it. I thought that! was cheap! Compared to "su b $300"!!! It played really nice.

I didn't buy it but it kept calling out to me and finally bought it and had them ship it. I looked at it a little differently than the way you are. I figured if I didn't like it, I could dump it on Reverb and not lose much, if anything. I got it home and it is even better than I remembered it. I own a core PRS Santana. I don't want to admit it because I want to continue to justify what I paid for the core. But comparing the two....... read between the lines.

My SE is really hot. I'm not sure how the pu's on the SE, on the Korean SE's, compare to the Indonesia ones. But when I plugged it is it was LOUD!

Speaking of Reverb, if you haven't already, go there and do a search of used PRS Santana SE's. The cheapest I find is $350.

Here is a 2001 PRS Santana Stop tailpiece that is only in "Good" condition and they are asking $429 plus $100 shipping!!! "Body: there are marks, dents, dings, etc. all over the body (front, back, and edge). The most obvious/severe issue is the dent/ding on the front just above the bridge pickup — see the pix."

You didn't say how you are "looking at". I don't know if you are looking in person, or Craigs List or what. But if you think your find is legitimate, it is a steal at that price. I hope it is a NGD soon!
Thank you for the response! I was supposed to meet the seller this morning. They did not respond to my texts to meet. Then later they said they were out and would meet me Monday. We shall see.

Serial number may have been valid but doubtful PRS verified the actual knock off guitar.
Response in email from PRS:
"Thank you for writing PRS Guitars. I’m sorry but this would not be an authentic PRS model guitar and unfortunately is a fake."

Response in email from PRS:
"Thank you for writing PRS Guitars. I’m sorry but this would not be an authentic PRS model guitar and unfortunately is a fake."
Ohhh, you saw a fake PRS verified was a fake. I read it as you meant it the other way around. Yes, a manufacturer will tell you if it's fake or not.

Last edited:
Interesting. Where did you see the fake? Was it an obvious fake? What clued you in?
There's knock offs floating around but it's fairly obvious they are, even to the untrained. If there's ever a question post it here and people will let you know pretty quick. But honestly there are always multiple tells and in person it's even more obvious.

Back