SE245 buzzing truss rod cover

AAT

Don't know if anyone else has ever seen / heard this problem...

My first PRS is an SE 245 in Vintage Yellow which I bought a few weeks ago. Through an amp, every note sounds great... But after a few days I noticed an apparently intermittent buzz when played unplugged. It was usually around the 5th fret on the G string. I checked the relief and it looked good, checked for high frets and all seemed fine... I was in the verge of taking it back into the shop when I worked out what it was: the truss rod cover buzzes.

On these SEs the truss rod cover (and the covers for the electronics on the back) are made of a very cheap flexible black plastic. Since the TRC is only held by one screw, if you hit the right frequency (it's apparently tuned slightly sharp of C, so a hint of choke on 5th fret G string sets it off!) it buzzes like crazy.

Anyone else seen this? Any suggestions for a cure? For now I have gone for a folded bit of paper behind the TRC which does the job... I might change it for a bit of Elastoplast!

If if I buy a new SE TRC from the PRS store, will it be just the same (frankly, crappy) plastic?

(BTW I just want a solution for now... I may come back and moan about how this cost cutting isn't really in keeping with PRS's standards or the tremendous quality of the rest of the guitar later... Oh, wait, I just did...:))

Thanks BeerBatteredPhish -- that looks a nice option.
I'm tempted by a rosewood one to match the fingerboard. Anyone else here tried something from this seller?

@LSchefman - those do look good, and are nearer for shipping for me... but I don't see SE TRCs listed there. I might contact them to see if they can do an SE TRC though.
@sergiodeblanc - taking the TRC off seems an extreme solution, and not the most aesthetic! I'll keep that for a last resort.

@LSchefman - those do look good, and are nearer for shipping for me... but I don't see SE TRCs listed there. I might contact them to see if they can do an SE TRC though.
@sergiodeblanc - taking the TRC off seems an extreme solution, and not the most aesthetic! I'll keep that for a last resort.

The regular PRS sized covers are just a bit shorter than the SE ones, but they still work well enough... Leaving them off isn't the most elegant looking solution for sure, but I'm always tweaking the truss rods.

It's hard to compete in today's musical instrument market; the pressure to keep the price down is immense, especially at the SE end of the market, and every penny counts.

If I were an SE buyer I'd rather have them save a little on the Truss Rod Cover than somewhere else on the guitar.

@LSchefman - agreed, I'm just being picky -- as I said, the guitar overall is amazing quality and value for money. Compared to the Epiphone Les Pauls - which have solid 3-ply plastic truss rod covers with 3 screws, no less! - this SE245 is easier to play (the action on some of the Epis was horrible, and none of them has as comfortable a neck profile), the finish is better, and the pickups match any of the Epiphone Burstbuckers. The only thing I really had to compromise on at all was giving up the coil-tap options which most of the Epis have, but to be honest I wasn't that impressed with their single-coil or parallel-coil sounds anyway.

I might try a standard PRS TRC if you reckon it fits, I will check the sizes.

I see the same people do fancy knobs too... I can't decide if that's tempting or not!

Back