SE Standard 22: WOW!

sergiodeblanc

Man, I'm not sayin' I want one because it's not really "my thing" but.... WOW!

Under $500 for a 22 fret, W/F, toggle equipped, stoptail, mahogany monster! This thing boils down the last 20 years of PRS history and "advancements" into the most affordable package ever. This seems like it would be an amazing guitar to buy for a beginner or a kid, or maybe even a backup for somebody who really digs the McCarty/Dragon/Paul's platform.

Some of the newer offerings have made me scratch my head a little wondering who they're marketing them to, but this one....What a smart move by PRS.

Anybody getting one?

Yeah you do! :hello:

I don't know why I said it's not my thing.. I kinda have a similar one with the SE Soapy, and I love that guitar. These are gonna be impossible to resist on the used market in a year or two.

What's old is new again. These are basically the original two generations of SE Santana (which in the early 2000s sold for $399) with a slightly different top carve and birds instead of slashes. No ill will intended, not at all, I love my '03 Santana SE, which came with the original $399 sale receipt in the gig bag. I like the top carve of this one a little better than my start-like '03, but it's still a fantastic instrument for what I paid for it.

I am kinda wishing the 245s didn't have binding though.

I gotta tell you, I'm also jonesing for a white guitar. If I wait for a CH, I have dirty thoughts of making it a "peekaboo"

What's old is new again. These are basically the original two generations of SE Santana (which in the early 2000s sold for $399) with a slightly different top carve and birds instead of slashes. No ill will intended, not at all, I love my '03 Santana SE, which came with the original $399 sale receipt in the gig bag. I like the top carve of this one a little better than my start-like '03, but it's still a fantastic instrument for what I paid for it.

The original two lines of the Santana SE were not 399, they were 899. Yours had to have been either a massive closeout or used piece before you got it to be 399.

I am kinda wishing the 245s didn't have binding though.

I gotta tell you, I'm also jonesing for a white guitar. If I wait for a CH, I have dirty thoughts of making it a "peekaboo"

I like the binding on the 245's, they look like BM's which I've always thought looked cool. I have a project in mind if/when one of these 245's comes my way.

Dude! Justin! If you paint a white-top CH you will be my best friend!

The original two lines of the Santana SE were not 399, they were 899. Yours had to have been either a massive closeout or used piece before you got it to be 399.

That seems more in line with how I remember the list pricing for those.

I dunno, I found an archive that says retail price (not MAP) on a Santana SE in 2005 was 738. Mine's a very early '03 (serial D00048), the first year for neck binding and strat-esque body carves. Wish I could find that receipt, but I remember clearly it was sold in '03 for $399 from Elderly.

$400 is about right for back then. My SE Soapbar II was about that price in '05. Talking street, not list.

So yeah, what's old is new again. Smart move only if the Indonesian labor is able to live up to the quality standards PRS is famous for.

I dunno, I found an archive that says retail price (not MAP) on a Santana SE in 2005 was 738. Mine's a very early '03 (serial D00048), the first year for neck binding and strat-esque body carves. Wish I could find that receipt, but I remember clearly it was sold in '03 for $399 from Elderly.

I also have the Santana SE w/ slash marks (no PRS logo on the truss rod cover which I think was the first year), and still use it to this day as my heavily down-tuned guitar. It costed me I think $400-500ish from Music123 online, but I also ordered a PRS hardshell case to fit it. Might have been $550 total. Mine must be an '02, I have it without the binding (and I believe they did added the pickguard when they added binding?)

Going to replace it with something from the Core line eventually, but it was excellent for the price and truly my workhorse for many years from when I started to learn to play. Very cool to see what I started with make a return.. and I would have preferred a "standard 22" name to Santana's name on the guitar. I like some of the color options, too.

Nice to hear you got it from Elderly... the place I ordered my long-awaited Custom 22 (first "real" PRS) a couple years ago :)

... so are these any hint of a core line standard guitar? Please? (although, I don't know if I can go back to non-maple top anymore!)

I'm going to have to go dig through old catalogs. I remember a friend of mine bought it when it first came out from Sam Ash for 899. But yea, it definitly was not under 500, that would make PRS flat out lying saying that the new standards are the least expensive SE's ever.

I'm going to have to go dig through old catalogs. I remember a friend of mine bought it when it first came out from Sam Ash for 899. But yea, it definitly was not under 500, that would make PRS flat out lying saying that the new standards are the least expensive SE's ever.

I wouldn't be surprised if the LIST price is the lowest they've ever done. But the STREET price has definitely been well below $500 in the past.

Got a little 'un on the way in August which rules out getting one anytime soon.

I would have loved the standard 22 if it had come with a trem, although I could happily rock the stop tail version too. Looks sharp as fu.....!

Hoping there's a regular SE Custom 22 in the works.

The 245 is interesting with the binding at that price point. I'd pass on that only because it's similarity to the Bernie. A trem equipped PRS would make more sense to me at least. I have my Strat but I have the trem decked and the PRS trem (Even the SE version) is superior. Again, with the binding it looks hot!

The price these are going for in the UK... I'll be keeping tabs on fleabay for some bargains down the line.

Back