SE McCarty 594 detailed review

Totally. I remember the massive purge to CME!! It's weird to do, but sometimes it feels great. When I sold off 18 Cores after my wife left, I was traumatized. Now, three years later, I am totally digging where I'm at guitar-wise. I only have what brings me joy. And that applies to all aspects of my life.
Yep, me too. It was a HUGE purge in 2019 to make sure the Mrs could retire early. Two years later it was WTF am I doing with 20 guitars again. I committed (to myself) to 7, five that I had, and two I need to acquire. I was good from May, 2021 to May, 2022. I added two more, one in May, 2022, and one in August, 2022. I think I can hold tight at 9. Plus, I have no desire for another guitar...........except maybe a V :p

WOOT!! Have another update....all the tracks of each pickup and combination have been recorded clean and crunchy. Interesting part? Same amp, output levels on hardware, input level on interface....ALL configurations level the same in the DAW. Equal output. Pretty sweet from import pickups.

The upgrades from John Mann will be hete Wednesday. I also ordered a Core 594 bridge from "the Stratosphere Guitar". I grabbed the one they had with the block saddles - which is the bridge that was on my 2016 Core 594. Hope it fits...

I expected to swap the pickups in my Indonesian ZM, but the 245’S’ is a nice hot PAF.

That was the problem with the old Korean made SE humbuckers. They weren't hot enough. Even the Bernie Marsden pickups I have can't keep up with a Duncan 59.

That seems to have changed now.

It seems that the Indonesian made pickups are able to meet the price point needed to keep the guitar affordable, and also sound really good!

I'm impressed with what I've heard in videos of the SE DGT and with my own SE Silver Skys too.

That was the problem with the old Korean made SE humbuckers. They weren't hot enough. Even the Bernie Marsden pickups I have can't keep up with a Duncan 59.

That seems to have changed now.

It seems that the Indonesian made pickups are able to meet the price point needed to keep the guitar affordable, and more importantly: sound really good.

I'm impressed with what I've heard from the SE DGT and my own SE Silver Skys too.

I am tremendously impressed with this 594. My wife commented last night that she can see no regrets in moving the Moder Eagle V. I am hoping I get the "right" taper on the pots using the Core wiring harness. No reason I shouldn't.

The pickups are giving me exactly what I want. They are darker and woodier than the perfect 57/08s I usually use.

Last night I ordered everything for the DGT:

* Mannmade USA hybrid trem
* SE locking tuners
* Gold screws and small parts to make hybrid hardware
* Core pickup rings
* lampshades

Still gotta find somebody to do a killer harness for me...

But more on the DGT later

Here’s mine, totally digging it.

Update - still loving this SE HB Piezo. Actually, more every time I play it. So much so that I should hopefully have a Trans-Cherry 594 SE SC next week from SW complete with a set of 58/15's, locking tuners and a FREE PLEK and set up! That should complete the collection. Can NOT wait.

@markd21 how did your 594 turn out?

Last edited:
Update - still loving this SE HB Piezo. Actually, more every time I play it. So much so that I should hopefully have a Trans-Cherry 594 SE SC next week from SW complete with a set of 58/15's and locking tuners. That should complete the collection. Can NOT wait.

@markd21 how did your 594 turn out?

It came out killer. I'm doing a video for it currently. Got the playing done, I just have to talk. Planning on doing a post with photos and the video when done. Shooting for Sunday...

It came out killer. I'm doing a video for it currently. Got the playing done, I just have to talk. Planning on doing a post with photos and the video when done. Shooting for Sunday...
Where can we find that video? I’m looking to perform all the upgrades you noted :)

ha! No worries man…where did you purchase your drop in (I’m guess tone and volume pot upgrades) from? I have the SE McCarty single cut and I’m wonder what the stock pots are..250k? I’m wondering if upgrading to the 500k pots, instead of pickup upgrade, is worth it. I think the stock pickups are pretty nice! Whatcha think?

My drop electronics came from PRS. Same harness as used in the Core. They have 'em in the accessories store.

I have 500Ks in my 594 and SC245 (SEs). I just went with what was in the Core equivalent for each.

Regarding the stock pickups vs. the 58/15LTs....honestly I wish I hadn't spent the money. While there is a difference, I don't know if it's worth $500.

I'm hitting that in the video.

Back