SE Custom 22 stoptail bridge... and nut...

Ryebread

Not Texas Toast!
I have a new SE Custom 22 with the stoptail bridge. When I changed the strings for the first time the stoptail bridge fell off and the set screws twisted out of whack. For some reason I thought this wasn't supposed to happen? Am I missing something or is this just the way it's supposed to be? And if the stoptail is just supposed to do this, is there any recommendation on how to change strings without disrupting the bridge? Besides changing one string at a time. Next time I change strings I want to work on the nut to file down the sharp corners. So I'll need to take all the strings off. I'd also like to here of good ways to go about smoothing down the nut? Thanks!!

That is suppose to happen. The bridge will fall off even on USA Core models.

Put some low tact painter's tape to hold the screws and bridge while you have all the strings off.

Yep, that's just the nature of a stoptail and why companies like Tonepros make locking studs.

I generally do three at a time. Bridge stays put and gives enough room for a little cleaning.

For when you must remove all the strings, Johnny is spot on with the painter's tape. I use the blue stuff.

Painter's tape. Cool, I'll try that! And the 3 string at a time too. I do that sometimes anyway so guess I'll get used to it on this one.

How about the nut? I'm thinking about one of those women's fingernail file board thingy's? I figure that might be better than straight up sandpaper because of the flat surface and squared edge. With sandpaper I might slip and hit the fretboard.

Edit: Actually if I cut a small thin strip of sandpaper and use it like dental floss I might get a better and more even rounded edge?

As he says, he cannot believe his client asked him to do such cosmetic damage on this guitar.
On the other hand, he also made it play extremely well with fret job and setup ;)

I use the blue painters tape also to hold the lock screws in place without turning them. In fact, I have taken to covering the whole bridge area behind the bridge in case of slip and fall, out of your hands. my McCarty wears the scars of knowledge......;-)

Back