Satin SE CE 24 Action

Mickbonin

Hi, just bought the satin SE CE 24. Oh really? Great guitar at the price point. The action is just a little bit too high for my liking. Anyone know how to lower it? Anyone ever tried?

Check neck relief first. The neck should be near straight with just a minute amount of clearance.

Per PRS instructions:

“Using a capo at the first fret, measure the distance from top of fret to bottom of string while depressing the string at the 1st and last fret: Relief for PRS SE guitars should measure .3/64" - .6/64" (.1mm - .3mm) at the 8th fret.”

You should be able to feel that clearance by tapping the string rather than see it.

Lower the saddle with the supplied Allen key / hex wrench to suit your tastes.

Plenty vids on YouTube if you get stuck.

Yes and yes.

Lowering action/set-ups are a process...

Insure the wood is as acclimated as it can be to your normal playing environment; this includes moisturizing the fretboard if needed/desired.
Relief, nut slot height, tremolo baseplate height(and angle if necessary), saddle height and then intonate
I've gone as low as I can with the factory fret job; I have some fret out at about the 19th fret and higher. When I change strings I plan on a leveling frets with fallaway, re-crown, re-dress, de-burr the fretends and polish.
Then I repeat the aforementioned process.

Last edited:
I wouldn't touch the bridge screws!!!! Look at neck then lower saddles....

Why?!!!
I suspect what you might say; you need to explain though.
The screws are set up with the divots perfect to keep the bridge piece parallel to the body...its not like a strat 6 screw....just adjust the saddles and straighten the neck...I made that mistake 20 years ago with an SE and it screwed up the guitar...its actually simple if you lived close by I'd swing buy and set it up for you lol

The screws are set up with the divots perfect to keep the bridge piece parallel to the body...its not like a strat 6 screw....just adjust the saddles and straighten the neck...I made that mistake 20 years ago with an SE and it screwed up the guitar...its actually simple if you lived close by I'd swing buy and set it up for you lol
I wouldn't screw it up.

It can inform you how jacked the screw holes or screws are; important information.

But you're absolutely right, cautioning a novice...

IMO, the SE CE 24 Standard Satin is the perfect platform to inform oneself and learn on.

Last edited:
Back