Replacing Tubes

toothace

Zombie Thirteen, DFZ
Any advice on tube replacement? Brands to stick with? Avoid? Boogie F-50 with 2 6L6 and 4 12AX7 tubes. Thanks everybody!

For a Boogie I would go with Mesa tubes !!!! easy matched work every time.

I think Mesa is purchasing tubes from JJ, and re-testing them. Unless you are interested in trying NOS, JJs and Mesas are consistent and sound good.

There's another thread on this recently, and I wrote it there but will say it again: The Tung Sol EL34 reissues are great, and so are the Tung Sol 12AX7s. I would not hesitate to buy any tube model made under that brand name.

There's another thread on this recently, and I wrote it there but will say it again: The Tung Sol EL34 reissues are great, and so are the Tung Sol 12AX7s. I would not hesitate to buy any tube model made under that brand name.

The Tung-Sols are made in the Ukraine by Reflector. They sound pretty darn good in the right amp. I do like the Winged Cs better in an EL34 amp, but that's just a personal preference for the types of tones they have on tap. I think the Tung Sol 6L6 variants are especially good, though.

The Tung-Sols are made in the Ukraine by Reflector. They sound pretty darn good in the right amp. I do like the Winged Cs better in an EL34 amp, but that's just a personal preference for the types of tones they have on tap. I think the Tung Sol 6L6 variants are especially good, though.
Right, a lot of tubes are made there (actually the old Reflektor factory called Expo-Pul, originally opened in 1953 and continuously operating in the same Saratov, Russia factory, now owned by New Sensor) including Sovtek, Mullard reissues, Electro Harmonix, "Svetlana", and Genelex. There are only two other tube factories in the world - JJ/Tesla in Slovakia and the Shaguang factory in China, but according to what I have read, something like 60% of the world's vaccuum tubes come from Expo-Pul.

Back