Replace PRS locking tuners with non-locking on Custom 24

bugsbunny

I have a 2020 Custom 24 and while I love everything about it, I feel locking tuners are not for me. Does anyone know what kinds of non-locking tuners that will fit nicely into the Custom 24 headstock without any modification and damage to my PRS?

Thanks

If you're talking core I think this is looney tunes talk but its your guitar..

Vintage tuners have the same mounting holes as the phase 3 but will leave an outline in the finish if removed. While on there you wouldn't know the phase 3 were there. Everything else is going to require new holes and possibly show the phase 3 outline.

But really what problem are you having with the phase 3? I think they are some of the coolest tuners out there and functionality is tops.

I'm definitely not the world's tuner expert but I've seen SO many people have issues with the tuners and most of the time it's because they're still wrapping the strings around the locking pegs. I've had my share of guitars with locking tuners and I've never understood peep's propensity for this.

Just last week on TGP someone with a 594 HB II detailed how he put lockers on then "discovered" they sounded different, so he put the original non-lockers back. The pics he showed of the lockers had 2 or 3 wraps on each string, and a poor wrapping job at that - no bend/lock on the wraps! Makes me wonder.

Maybe this doesn't apply to you and you have some other reason? Or maybe you just should take a left-turn at Albuquerque? ;)

If you don't like the lock, just don't use it. you can wrap the strings around instead. take the lock screws off, put them in a sandwich bag and put them in the case for the next person to use!
Good call. Heck do you even need to take the lock screws off? Just don't cinch em down..

Good call. Heck do you even need to take the lock screws off? Just don't cinch em down..
If they aren't tight, they are likely to fall off. I wouldn't risk losing them.

I am kinda having second thoughts about using the tuners as non locking, the taper on the posts isn't really designed to take more than a wind for the bass strings, so it might not actually be a good idea.

You can grab a set of these, but it will set you back around $250

Back