repair and value advice

cmedcoff

I have a red (candy apple) PRS SE EG2. I purchased it used for < 300 bucks. It has Fender Noiseless pickups on it which alone are worth a bit.

I had a local guy perform setup on it. It plays quite decent. Better than any Strat I've owned/played. It's got a couple of cosmetic issues. The worst being the tallest tip of the headstock has a small chunk out of it. A minor dig else where.

It's a great guitar for what it is. It's just really not my thing. I'd love to hear some advice on repairing the headstock, or not, and what I might be worth.

I've got 3 PRS guitars; this one, a CU24 and a Torero. All floating bridges. I'd like to get something with a fixed bridge and a humbucker at the bridge.

Thoughts?

I personally don't see a reason to fix it, but I'm not a stickler for used guitars being closet queens. As for Value, 300 - 400 is normal for SE EG's. You aren't going to get more than that IMO.

Yeah, a used SE with some dings on it, especially an older one, probably won't pull in a lot of cash. If it were in great, condition, considering it's a rarer model, maybe more, but it would cost more to fix than you would get out of it in the end. If you don't need the money, I would hold on to it if you like it. Probably worth more to you than it would be worth in cash!

The SE EGs are neat guitars, but unless/until they become the new darling of some group of obscure collectors (hello TGP!) (and I'm a member, so I can make fun of them/us), they will not be worth a whole lot, especially when not in mint condition.

If someone offered me one for $200 I'd probably pick it up, but there are other SEs I'd look to buy before an SE EG. But that's just me...

btw, say hello to Helen for me. [xref your location for those that don't get the joke]

You will have to decide if you think the cost of the repairs will be less the the additional incremental increase in the final sales price will be. Personally, I don't think that repairing it will increase the value of the guitar much.

Maybe get a quote for the repairs as a 1st step???

Back