Random. No more or less

4000YearLanguageRecycle.jpg

I figured me out. I am so fascinated with my brain and how it functions. Every time I play something new or differently my neurons are firing up and creating new neural pathways. Guitar is a super way todo this. This is super exciting. I want to buy a book on the brain in layman’s terms.
I have to figure away to make stress vanish at will. It is doable, it just takes practice.
My husbands surgery got cancelled. His doctor had to fly to Brazil on a emergency. Operating on Some foreign dignitary. Hubby is pissed.

Last edited:
I figured me out. I am so fascinated with my brain and how it functions. Every time I play something new or differently my neurons are firing up and creating new neural pathways. Guitar is a super way todo this. This is super exciting. I want to buy a book on the brain in layman’s terms.
I have to figure away to make stress vanish at will. It is doable, it just takes practice.
It's funny that even at "our age" we still find things out about ourselves. I would say that reading about the brain is both fascinating and, at times a bit disturbing. I have been fascinated by how the brain works (or in some cases, doesn't) since I was a teenager. I read Psychology Today magazine from the time I was 18 to well into my 30s. I minored in Psychology in college.

I said all that to say this: Be careful with going down this rabbit hole. In my few years of deeper study into this, I formed a strong opinion and then when discussing it with some others (my favorite psych professor and others) found out that they felt much the same, and that is this. In this field are some of the brightest minds you'll ever encounter. And, some real, for lack of a better word, psychos! (Ok, maybe not psychos, but weirdos for sure!) And the while there are varying degrees of these two, there doesn't seem to be a lot of people in this field who fit into the more normal middle ground between them. Psycho is extreme, and not really what I mean, but neurotic is an understatement for many people that I met or on a much larger scale read/studied in the field.

I always thought the TV series Frazier was absolutely brilliantly written, and not just because he was a great character on an all time great show (Cheers) but his show also became one of the all time greats as well. But that show really showed how neurotic and in many other ways "quirky" people can be in that field of study. In fact, it's fairly well known that it's not uncommon for people who study the brain for years to eventually drive themselves to a mental hospital. I'm just saying, be careful what you read. As much as I loved this field, that's what eventually drew me away from it. I remember the last year of my subscription to Psychology today, it seemed like for every truly fascinating article or study that was written about, there was one that was just weird, and many times disturbing. I saw replies that "the psychologist who wrote the article is more disturbed than the subjects he's writing about" type things.

My suggestion as a friend, is to stay on the 101 level of this topic. If you get very deep, it can get weird fast.

Last edited:
It's funny that even out "our age" we still find things out about ourselves. I would say that reading about the brain is both fascinating and, at times a bit disturbing. I have been fascinated by how the brain works (or in some cases, doesn't) since I was a teenager. I read Psychology Today magazine from the time I was 18 to well into my 30s. I minored in Psychology in college.

I said all that to say this: Be careful with going down this rabbit hole. In my few years of deeper study into this, I formed a strong opinion and then when discussing it with some others (my favorite psych professor and others) found out that they felt much the same, and that is this. In this field are some of the brightest minds you'll ever encounter. And, some real, for lack of a better word, psychos! (Ok, maybe not psychos, but weirdos for sure!) And the while there are varying degrees of these two, there doesn't seem to be a lot of people in this field who fit into the more normal middle ground between them. Psycho is extreme, and not really what I mean, but neurotic is an understatement for many people that I met or on a much larger scale read/studied in the field.

I always thought the TV series Frazier was absolutely brilliantly written, and not just because he was a great character on an all time great show (Cheers) but his show also became one of the all time greats as well. But that show really showed how neurotic and in many other ways "quirky" people can be in that field of study. In fact, it's fairly well known that it's not uncommon for people who study the brain for years to eventually drive themselves to a mental hospital. I'm just saying, be careful what you read. As much as I loved this field, that's what eventually drew me away from it. I remember the last year of my subscription to Psychology today, it seemed like for every truly fascinating article or study that was written about, there was one that was just weird, and many times disturbing. I saw replies that "the psychologist who wrote the article is more disturbed than the subjects he's writing about" type things.

My suggestion as a friend, is to stay on the 101 level of this topic. If you get very deep, it can get weird fast.
I just want to know how neurons are made, how they function in any given situation. What happens to neurons when they no longer become useful, do they die? What chemical compounds create these pathways. Are some permanent do others appear at will. How does a neuron revolve into something useful to aid the function of the brain .

@DreamTheaterRules can you recommend something to read on this matter.

This biggest thing that I watched that blew my mind was when a patient was hooked up to listen to Ozzy Osbourne you could see the guys brain turn into a dazzling light show. There’s the hook, reel, line and sinker. I all in.

Your brain is so amazing. No copy cats around because it is yours and only yours!

Last edited:
I learned what I know about psychology from a class I took in college and then from a different angle through a series of management training classes I went through. That is all I care to study. I do like knowing about what motivates people and what makes them act the way they do. I have seen how things have changed over the past 15 years in this area and how some things have very much so stayed the same. I am more into behavioral studies than the medical aspect of it. I have seen some very smart people that are also very strange people to spend time with.

Last day at my current job. We spend a lot of hours in this life playing the work game, I want to spend the last chapter of my professional career enjoying what I do. It's a little late to become a rock star so I'm going back to my former industry, where I'm at least reasonably well liked. ;)
Much Respect! Carnival Barkers Deserve Far More Love Than They Get. ;)

One year ago today I suffered a stroke. In the immediate aftermath I could not form a simple chord or play a basic scale. In addition to formal physical therapy I spent hours relearning how to play guitar as a way to stimulate my brain, regain manual dexterity and preserve my sanity. Apparently my damaged already feeble brain was able to find new pathways to recover what I had lost. Pretty amazing stuff.

One year ago today I suffered a stroke. In the immediate aftermath I could not form a simple chord or play a basic scale. In addition to formal physical therapy I spent hours relearning how to play guitar as a way to stimulate my brain, regain manual dexterity and preserve my sanity. Apparently my damaged already feeble brain was able to find new pathways to recover what I had lost. Pretty amazing stuff.
Awesome that you were able to get those new paths firing! As I am sure you know, many are not as lucky after being hit with such an event (but many also, likely, do not put in the effort you did)!! Keep challenging yourself and growing, it is the silver lining to the cloud that was the stroke!!!

Very nicely done sir!

Congrats on the recovery, and much respect for your efforts. Back in September I suffered a spinal injury due to disc compression and woke up from the surgery initially not being able to use my hands and paralysis in my legs. I'm returning to work Monday, and though I still rely on a walker a bit, I'm back to managing with just a cane as well, driving myself to p.t., etc. It's a tough pill to swallow in those first days, but neuroplasticity is a reality, yet medicine has only been really aware of it since the latter half of the last century. They told me 'maybe in twelve months', I got there in less than six.

Like you, I chose to fight, work hard, (...and take in Moon's creative audio offerings...) and let the chips fall where they may. Slowly things came back on line, and the more I regained control, the harder I pushed, and the harder I pushed, the more I regained, rinse, repeat. Either you buy into the opportunity, or you don't, but sadly, it doesn't always work out for some as I witnessed too many times.

Your story 'struck a chord' 😉 with me because I get it, and am totally stoked for you. Keep pushing yourself to surpass your previous abilities.....PROPS!

This is exactly what I am talking about. The brain is the most complex and fantastical piece of machinery ever.

I have to go for a full body MRI. Never even heard of a full body MRI before. I am studying the basics of how MRI’s work right now.

@tiboy i am so happy that you never gave up on yourself! Very very proud of you!

@tiboy RESPECT man! Never give in.
@Lola If the wind ever quits blowing (it's a spring thing in these parts I reckon) I will make some loud noise of my own with my chain saw. Have a lot of trees to take down to clean up my property and make more landscape work. Words of wisdom: if you ever begin work on an acreage, take as much down as you can when you are clearing to build (like friggin' everything!) and plant whatever you want. You'll thank me later I promise. This would have been a whole lot easier on the body 35 years ago and a whole lot less messing around.
I have 6 huge bams that are a serious threat to my house now. As beautiful as they are, they would make a trainwreck of my home should they decide to go down in a wind storm. And of course they are of a nature that I will require professional help to remove them safely. The others I can do myself but then once the smaller ones are gone, that weakens the stability and increases the vulnerability of the large dangerous ones.

Back