PSA - PRS signature gig bags half price at the PRS accessories store.

I recently set up my amps a little differently in my studio rig, and as a result, had a couple of speaker cables that weren't long enough to reach from one of the amp and cab combinations to the KHE amp and cab switcher I rely on in sessions.

With an Amp and Cab Switcher, you need a cable for the amp to the switcher, and a second cable from the switcher to the cab. If you buy good cables, it can get costly! But quality counts, too, and I don't skimp on the stuff I use.

PRS sale to the rescue. I bought two of the 20 foot Signature speaker cables on sale; it's a great price for an extremely high quality, well made, tough cable.These are made by Van Damme in the UK,

Van Damme did the re-cabling for the Abbey Road Studio rooms and control rooms, including the echo chambers, etc. So you can have confidence that it's high quality.

I've been using these speaker cables and their guitar cables ever since they came out, and zero issues, no tone suck. They're very flexible and lay flat on the floor without kinking, which is helpful for longer runs, and reduces any tripping hazard when I go behind the amps to make an adjustment. Couldn't be happier. Highly recommended.
What am I doing wrong?

20240130-225129.jpg

This begs the question of when to humidipak.
Because of its chemistry, a humidipak absorbs moisture in summer when it's humid, and releases moisture in winter when it's dry. It keeps the RH in my case between 45-50%, which is where the factory keeps the RH (their factory is humidity controlled). So I use them year 'round.

I only use one pack in an electric guitar case; in my PS cases or WL cases, I stick it in the open compartment under the headstock. In a standard case, I put it in the pocket nearest the neck. I put the packs in cloth envelopes - I bought extra acoustic kits to get the bags, but you could probably use an old sock.

I use the recommended 3 in the case with my acoustic in the pouches that come with the kit.

Since I started using them (maybe 7 or so years ago) I've needed zero seasonal adjustments. Before I got into the humidipaks, I kept them in a room with a PITA humidifier. It worked great in winter, but I hated using it. With the humidipaks the only maintenance is changing them periodically. I find they last about 3-4 months in winter, a bit longer in summer.

Last edited:
Beats me.

Just messing with you. I move around a lot when playing.
I really do like the PRS Signature cables. Your previous posts about them is part of what convinced me to buy. I just wish they had a tweed covered, as I tend to kink them less. First world problems and all that...

Last edited:
Just messing with you. I move around a lot when playing.
I really do like the PRS Signature cables. Your previous posts about them is part of what convinced me to buy. I just wish they had a tweed covered, as I tend to kink them less. First world problems and all that...
I figured you were messing with me, but honestly a cable works great!

I ordered a few Van Damme cables from a custom cable company covered with Techflex so I could have fairly long cable runs from pedalboard to amp - they lay flatter and the extra weight in the covering seems to make them less apt to cause me to trip. I don't have to worry about damaging them or tripping if I happen to step on them.

The company I ordered mine from (Sinasoid) is apparently no longer making up custom cables, but I've been getting cables recently from Revelation Cable Company, and they will make up Van Damme cables with Techflex,

The only drawback with Techflex is that the nylon feels pretty abrasive, so if you loop your cable through your strap, and the strap doesn't have a cable loop to keep the cable away from the guitar, I'd suggest having them leave some uncovered length for the cable end so you get the smooth surface of the cable without the Techflex near your guitar.

I had them make up some heavy duty Techflex-covered power cords and extension cords, too. AC cords tend to get all tangly and curly for some reason, and with the Techflex they lay flat.

Here’s a shot of the small nook in my studio where I keep the amps. There are two Techflex covered Van Damme cables and a Techflex covered power cord connecting pedalboard to amplifier power box and amp/cab switcher.

The run is about 20 feet total, and I have some cable curled behind the switcher rack to bring the pedalboard closer to my workstation which is about 20 feet from the amps, though it's pretty easy to just walk to the pedalboard, it's harder while operating the workstation.

For some crazy reason (maybe the Techflex?) I’m able to run the power cable right next to the audio cable with no hum or noise, which is great because it reduces the tripping hazard.

GBwLC5Z.jpg

Last edited:
Back to modern gig bags for a moment...

I'm not going to throw my guitar off my roof just to see what happens, but I wouldn't be surprised if my Gig Blade bag (or the comparable Mono, Reunion Blues Continental, etc.), is more protective against shock and falls than a wooden hard case. This includes my French-fit PS cases.

The Calton fiberglass and Hoffee carbon fiber cases are on another level, of course.

I have no idea what the new or previous PRS bags are like, so if they're the usual gig bag fare, all bets are off.

"You can't even climb onto your roof without falling, you old bastid."

"Maybe I should be in the gig bag, then?"

Me too. I have one if anyone wants it. Hard cases only.
I LOVE the one that came with my Silver Sky and would love to have another one or two, but it's the model higher than this one and they never seem to put those on sale or I'd snag another one. I use the bag every time I take one out to play, because it weighs about 1/10 what the HSC's do.

Back to modern gig bags for a moment...

I'm not going to throw my guitar off my roof just to see what happens, but I wouldn't be surprised if my Gig Blade bag (or the comparable Mono, Reunion Blues Continental, etc.), is more protective against shock and falls than a wooden hard case. This includes my French-fit PS cases.

The Calton fiberglass and Hoffee carbon fiber cases are on another level, of course.

I have no idea what the new or previous PRS bags are like, so if they're the usual gig bag fare, all bets are off.

"You can't even climb onto your roof without falling, you old bastid."

"Maybe I should be in the gig bag, then?"

Gig(g)Les bag

Back