PSA - JJ Double Mica 6L6 (and many others) back in stock at Eurotubes

andy474x

Knows the Drill
Hey all,

Since we had discussed these a while back, and since we all know how hard it is to find replacements right now, just thought I’d let y’all know, lots of JJ tubes are back in stock at Eurotubes (as of today, 7/3). If you need something, I wouldn’t wait long.

No affiliation, just a PSA for forum brothers, so you can keep those sweet, sweet PRS tube amps singing!

I’ve not yet tried the double mica 6L6. Thanks for @LSchefman for turning me on to them, I had been meaning to order them when I had a set in an amp fail and my current backup pair got used. Well, that happened… but at a terrible time! Fortunately I made it through the wait, and was able to order a small but sufficient supply of those and a few other things.

The double-mica tubes are pretty cool for solving tube rattle.

I’m looking forward to that, specifically. Eurotubes says the double mica tubes are really only useful in combos, but I’ve got tube rattle even in my amp heads that’s use 6L6’s, so they’ll probably be going in everything, eventually.

I’m looking forward to that, specifically. Eurotubes says the double mica tubes are really only useful in combos, but I’ve got tube rattle even in my amp heads that’s use 6L6’s, so they’ll probably be going in everything, eventually.
I have a spare set of Eurotubes damper rings that you can have if it's still a problem. They solved the rattle even on standard tubes in my Lone Star. I don't need them.

Thanks to the OP for the back in stock alert. I ordered a couple of EL84’s for my little Mesa and a couple 6L6’s for my Fryette PS2 for just in case. I also ordered a couple of 5751’s, which are supposed to be a lower gain 12AX7. I want to see if I can lower the gain a bit on channel 2 especially, and see if I can find a crunch on channel 2 that is closer to the crunch on channel 1. Probably an exercise in futility, but should provide a week's worth of entertainment.

I have a spare set of Eurotubes damper rings that you can have if it's still a problem. They solved the rattle even on standard tubes in my Lone Star. I don't need them.
Thanks! I'll definitely take you up on that if the double mica tubes don't do the job!
Thanks to the OP for the back in stock alert. I ordered a couple of EL84’s for my little Mesa and a couple 6L6’s for my Fryette PS2 for just in case. I also ordered a couple of 5751’s, which are supposed to be a lower gain 12AX7. I want to see if I can lower the gain a bit on channel 2 especially, and see if I can find a crunch on channel 2 that is closer to the crunch on channel 1. Probably an exercise in futility, but should provide a week's worth of entertainment.

Glad you were able to score some tubes! My order was similar... I needed 6L6's for the several 6L6 amps I have hanging around, most of them with the stock power tubes, and I have an Epiphone Valve Jr., modded to high heck, that sounds wonderful, but eats EL84's faster than it probably should.

5751's are great tubes for reducing gain, if memory serves I have on in the second tube stage of the drive channel of my PRS Custom 50, and I like the JJ version of that tube. Really, a lot of my tube rolling for preamp tubes boils down to finding the right tube at each gain stage and balancing fullness and breakup without going into over the top saturation and flub, especially considering where the EQ controls sit in the signal path and how they react to how the amp is gain staged with those certain tubes. Too much gain to early in the circuit is often what I'm trying to reel in, especially when amps come with the common JJ ecc83s in all gain stages, which are about as hot as you can get in my experience. The new production Mullard ecc83/12ax7 is another one good for bringing the gain down a little bit, but with world events being what they are, they're not something you're likely to find right now.

Thanks! I'll definitely take you up on that if the double mica tubes don't do the job!

Glad you were able to score some tubes! My order was similar... I needed 6L6's for the several 6L6 amps I have hanging around, most of them with the stock power tubes, and I have an Epiphone Valve Jr., modded to high heck, that sounds wonderful, but eats EL84's faster than it probably should.

5751's are great tubes for reducing gain, if memory serves I have on in the second tube stage of the drive channel of my PRS Custom 50, and I like the JJ version of that tube. Really, a lot of my tube rolling for preamp tubes boils down to finding the right tube at each gain stage and balancing fullness and breakup without going into over the top saturation and flub, especially considering where the EQ controls sit in the signal path and how they react to how the amp is gain staged with those certain tubes. Too much gain to early in the circuit is often what I'm trying to reel in, especially when amps come with the common JJ ecc83s in all gain stages, which are about as hot as you can get in my experience. The new production Mullard ecc83/12ax7 is another one good for bringing the gain down a little bit, but with world events being what they are, they're not something you're likely to find right now.
Probably good fodder for a tube rolling thread. The Mesa Mkv25 can pretty much go from crystal clean to blistering and oozing with gain. I just want to try giving it a bit more clean headroom, since it has more gain than I’m likely to ever need. That and looking for either a good clean (I’ve found a couple) on ch2, or a good crunch on ch2 - much more elusive.

Back