PRS SE

SRP67

Going out of tune very easily,not sure if its my aggressive play that's doing it or if I need to upgrade my tuners,if so which one would you recommend?

Since this post is in Acoustics section, I'll assume it's an SE Angelus. If it's an electric, may want to repost in other section.

If it's an acoustic, then first question I'd have is are you using a heavier string gauge than originally equipped? You can test binding at the nut by pressing each string lightly between the tuner post and the nut and see if string jumps sharp by a good amount. If so, then you may be binding a bit at nut and have to either widen slots or change strings to lighter gauge. The nut slots should be snug, but still allow for smooth tuning from tuner to bridge without stressing the string between tuner and nut.

If you're set on replacing tuners, even though it's an acoustic - I have a set of Grover 406c locking mini-rotomatics on my SE Angelus because 1) I happened to have them from another guitar I sold, 2) they're direct fit replacements (no drilling), and 3) string changes are SO much easier/quicker. If this is an electric SE and just mis-posted, the Grover's are still a great option for most PRS SE guitars (I think the new Zach Myers have different tuners than the standard SE models).

Acoustic or electric?

I would start at the nut, the SE electrics are especially notorious for having tuning problems that stem from the nut. If you've increased string gauge, the nut probably isn't slotted for that size of strings and they're binding.

Edit... what he said^^^^

OK, the guitar in question is an SE Santana ELECTRIC. I'm guessing it has a trem.

Please tell us if you have made any of the following changes.
new strings?
current guage?
change string guage from9s?
adjustments to bridge?
adjustments to truss rod?
adjustments to nut?

OK, the guitar in question is an SE Santana ELECTRIC. I'm guessing it has a trem.

Please tell us if you have made any of the following changes.
new strings?
current guage?
change string guage from9s?
adjustments to bridge?
adjustments to truss rod?
adjustments to nut?

Fully stretched?

Back