PRS SE Torero - fret buzz

WoknRoll

Newbie here..

So I recently picked up form Craigslist an SE Torero Black Cherry ,Floyd Rose (2010) in excellent condition. The guitar looks great and feels great (not sure why I cannot attached a picture?)

Problem, the low E buzzes open and fretted. So I took it to Guitar Center to have it setup (Floyd Rose I didn't want to deal with it for now..) and restring with extra light .09-.42.

After the setup the low E was still buzzing.. fretboard is straight an arrow. He adjusted the truss rod,..stil buzzes. He tightened the truss rod to a bow and still buzzes. Adjusted the bridge and same thing. He measured the frets and they were all normal height. The only thing he did not mention was the nut. Of course this being Floyd Rose, it has 3 locking nuts. I have seen videos where super glue/baking soda mix will do the trick..and also to shim the nut.

I have googled all day and it appears SEs have a common problem with fret buzz and nut.

It is a really nice guitar... and I want to fix and keep. Just wonder how much it will cost to fix?

Any suggestions?
Thanks

Last edited:
I wouldn't say SEs have a common problem with fretbuzz and nut issues, but of the issues reported, that would be the highest percentage.

Anyway, I have no experience with a Floyd Rose, so I can't offer up any specific help. But there should be a few members here who have a Floyd-equipped PRS, and maybe you can search other forums where Floyds are installed on other brands to see if there is some other trick? Superglue and baking soda sounds rather, um, "permanent".

Also, are you sure it is the string buzzing on a fret, and not some other buzz, like a loose tuning peg or something? Sometimes one sounds like the other...

Oh, and for pictures you insert a link to the picture on a third-party site like photobucket or flickr. This forum doesn't support direct uploads (except for Mods, I think). See this thread:

http://forums.prsguitars.com/threads/how-to-post-pics.932/

Yeah.. I'll have to redo attaching the pictures tonight.

What about adding metal shims under the nut? Obviously raising it and string... this should do the trick.

Has anyone tried this with success.. if so which company/product did you use?

I have found many Floyd Rose style nuts to be set overly low.
There area bunch of videos on youtube its a pretty easy job
Here is a quick search :)

First make sure buzz isn't coming from elsewhere

If it where me, I would pace something under low E string at the first fret just to raise it higher to be certian it isn't buzzing on frets. See if buzzing goes away before shimming nut.

Here are a couple pictures from my SE.

So I shimmed the nut with two shims and still buzzes. Open string is fine.. G fret is fine.. everything fret buzzes.

Could this be the fret heights? According to the repair guy at GC.. fret heights were fine. Again, fretboard is straight. I use .09-.42 string. I even replaced the low E with .45 and still buzzes.

I may take it to a pro repair shop... It's a really nice guitar and still in excellent condiation..hate to part with it..

https://www.dropbox.com/home?preview=20161021_180744.jpg 20161021_180744
https://www.dropbox.com/home?preview=20161017_212155.jpg

Last edited:
Can't see the pictures without Dropbox account. I would suggest taking it to a different tech besides Guitar Center. Haven't had the best track record with them besides basic setups.

Can't see the pictures without Dropbox account. I would suggest taking it to a different tech besides Guitar Center. Haven't had the best track record with them besides basic setups.

Agree that GC guys are for basic setup! Looking for luthiers around Charlotte.

The problem is only on the low E. I shimmed it with 2 pieces and still buzzes... but F#, G & Ab frets are fine... all else buzzes. Action is a lot higher than usual.

Could be the frets...buy I remember GC guy said fret heights are fine...as should be.

Yes.. strings are new Elixir Superlight. .09-.42. I even changed the low E to .45... and still buzzes.

Agree that GC guys are for basic setup! Looking for luthiers around Charlotte.

The problem is only on the low E. I shimmed it with 2 pieces and still buzzes... but F#, G & Ab frets are fine... all else buzzes. Action is a lot higher than usual.

Could be the frets...buy I remember GC guy said fret heights are fine...as should be.
Can't help you with luthiers in Charlotte but there's a guy here in Winston-Salem that a lot of people like. Let me know if you want his name and #.

Lay the thing on your lap and while playing the low E string open, touch every component till buzz stops.

Back