PRS SE Singlecut Pickup Rings Replacements

Gibby

Hello, I am looking for replacement pickup rings for my SE Singlecut '07. I opened a ticket with PRS last week, still no response. I purchased the PRS branded SE stoptail pickup rings, the bridge is fine, although shallower than the original, but the neck ring has a bow due to the end of the neck. The neck has a slight curve at the end and the rings are pressing against it, bowing into where the pickup lays. This then bumps into my pickup and gives it a somewhat aggressive tilt. There is a thread similar to this from a few years ago, but not specific to the singlecut, and all that was said was to get generic pup rings, which didn't work for me the first time. If anyone who has done this could help me find the right rings, that would be amazing, ivory/cream preferred. This is my first post so I cannot post any picture links, but hopefully my description was enough.

Edit: Added photos

Last edited:
I'll also add, it's playable like this, and the tilt can be somewhat managed but it is definitely nowhere near stock fitment. I would like to add pickup covers. The first time I tried doing this with these rings, it was almost impossible to get them installed. With the covers, the pickups tilt towards the bridge so aggressively that it's borderline impressive.

I had that same issue with one of mine. When I sent it in to get refinished I mentioned that same issue to them. I asked them if they could fix that for me. When I got the guitar back the issue was corrected. The only thing I figured they could have done was sand down the end of the fretboard a tad bit.

I had that same issue with one of mine. When I sent it in to get refinished I mentioned that same issue to them. I asked them if they could fix that for me. When I got the guitar back the issue was corrected. The only thing I figured they could have done was sand down the end of the fretboard a tad bit.
Hmm, seems like a viable fix. I don't think its worth sending in my relatively cheap SE for such a trivial reason. Nonetheless, I appreciate the response, that's about the most informational answer I've gotten. Maybe I'll look into sanding down the ring. It may look a little off up close, but it would look far better than it does with the bow it has at the moment.

Yep, seems spot on. It's livable but I would really like to install covers, and its not possible like this.
Well, it's kind of ugly tho.

I could move the pickup ring 1/16" away, or sand just the end of the fingerboard (but not the neck) a little bit, or just live with it.

Well, it's kind of ugly tho.

I could move the pickup ring 1/16" away, or sand the fingerboard end a little bit, or just live with it.
I agree, once you notice it, it's pretty ugly. I'm thinking through similar options and also considering sanding down the pickup ring. They were relatively cheap if something goes wrong or it looks bad. I've posted in a luthier forum to see what they have to say.

I agree, once you notice it, it's pretty ugly. I'm thinking through similar options and also considering sanding down the pickup ring. They were relatively cheap if something goes wrong or it looks bad. I've posted in a luthier forum to see what they have to say.

If you sand down the ring you'll see it. You might see a "witness line" if you move the ring 1/16".

If you sand down the end of the fingerboard and do it right, you probably won't see anything.

This is what I would do. If you make a mistake, a $5 pick up ring is an easy replacement compared to messing with the neck (unless your comfortable filing the end of the neck). I have "notched" one of my pick up rings before and it did the trick. Just take your time and file a little at a time and keep checking until you get it fitting perfect.

This is what I would do. If you make a mistake, a $5 pick up ring is an easy replacement compared to messing with the neck (unless your comfortable filing the end of the neck). I have "notched" one of my pick up rings before and it did the trick. Just take your time and file a little at a time and keep checking until you get it fitting perfect.
Yeah I agree and will probably start here. I'm going to grab these rings as they look a little thinner around the sides and some sandpaper, and go from there.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ACC4261I--prs-humbucker-pickup-rings-ivory-universal-angle

Yeah, min
Hmm, seems like a viable fix. I don't think its worth sending in my relatively cheap SE for such a trivial reason. Nonetheless, I appreciate the response, that's about the most informational answer I've gotten. Maybe I'll look into sanding down the ring. It may look a little off up close, but it would look far better than it does with the bow it has at the moment.
Yeah mine was a 95’ core model that I bought. It looked like someone had used the back of it for drum practice so I had them refinish it. You could always sand down the mounting ring a little and sand the fingerboard down a little as well. Maybe that might keep either one from looking like it was altered since you would only be doing a little to each??

Back