PRS SE Nut change - glue spillage!

Chris50

Greetings,

Recently picked up a 2018 prs se custom 24 ziricote. It was sold as new at a reduced price due to it's age.
I've decided to change the nut as the guitar struggles to stay in tune for more than 5 mins.

I've ordered as tusc pt6643 XL nut to replace the old one.

However, looking at the old nut I'm a bit concerned that the factory has put a lot of glue underneath the nut to the point where you can see it around the nut and on some of the finish.

I've attached a link to the pictures which hopefully show some of the glue around the nut. You might have to zoom in a bit to see it.

If the factory used super glue will it be it be easy enough to score around the nut to remove the glue?

When using a wooden block and a hammer to knock off the nut I don't want to accidentally remove any of the finish or the wood underneath the nut.

Any thoughts?

Pictures in the link.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/193700901@N06/shares/Chnrv9

Thanks. I read that heating the nut with steam or a soldering iron is a way to soften the glue before nut removal. That does sound like a disaster waiting to happen though, especially in my hands :D.

I think I'll gently score around the nut several times and gently tap the nut. If it looks like it won't budge I'll probably saw the nut length ways and try to collapse the nut in on itself.

Thanks. I read that heating the nut with steam or a soldering iron is a way to soften the glue before nut removal....I think I'll gently score around the nut several times and gently tap the nut. If it looks like it won't budge I'll probably saw the nut length ways and try to collapse the nut in on itself.
Soldering irons sorta work, but chances are they use CA glue, and steam works better than straight heat on that stuff. When I change nuts, I tap it out. You can put a wee groove by sliding an exacto knife under the nut, but if they did it right the installers should have used a tiny amount of glue. A little tapping and it should come right off without much effort. Ive only taken a small chunk out of the nut slot once.

When you install the new nut, try not to use CA glue, but its ok if thats all you got. Use a tiny amount, the string pressure is what really holds the nut in place.

I’d make sure you cover the guitar with something to protect it in case you slip or drop something while working on it. When I’m working on a nut I’ll cut out a piece of thin cardboard, then punch out the six holes for the tuners to fit through and mask it to the peghead with blue low tack tape. I also mask off the first few frets and fingerboard. Some nuts come right out and others can be pretty hard to remove. On an easy one l use an exacto knife with a thin brand new blade to score through the finish around the nut and tap it out with a piece of wood. I use water base Elmers white glue or Titebound wood glue to reinstall the nut. It doesn’t take much to hold the nut in place and these glues make it easy to clean up, won’t hurt the finish and is easy to remove the nut again in the future. I reinstall the two outside strings to align the new nut and hold it in place while it dries.

Thanks. I read that heating the nut with steam or a soldering iron is a way to soften the glue before nut removal. That does sound like a disaster waiting to happen though, especially in my hands :D.

I think I'll gently score around the nut several times and gently tap the nut. If it looks like it won't budge I'll probably saw the nut length ways and try to collapse the nut in on itself.

If you have to saw the nut be really careful when you start the saw that’s when it will want to slip. After you have it slotted I’ve used a pair of vise grips to collapse the nut. Hopefully it will be easy and you won’t have to do this. Good luck.

Back