PRS SE Hollowbody II Piezo - Live Use?

Glad you found a solution that works for you. I've got a few Radial DIs, and have used them for years. The Para was my choice because I run a couple/few acoustics through the same rig, and wanted to be able keep thre gear load light and mixer setup simple.

The Headrush has been calling out, but I am trying to stay firmly in the analog(ish) world right now. I like the way you are using it, and I like that it allows you to streamline your path. Great job.

Thanks for your response. I, too, would have liked to retain my analog effects and nice amp, but too many factors were at play...the need to strengthen existing thought processes...the weight consideration of carrying both amp and effects to gigs or jams...the need to downsize more expensive gear for less expensive (read: cost-effective devices; based on budget and financial need)...

If perhaps you can check it out, the NeuralDSP Engine is the top of the line that would compare to Axe-Fx, or beyond both HeadRush or Helix. My reason for not choosing this route was primarily budget, and the HeadRush GigBoard, FRFR108 and Expression pedal were far less damaging cost-wise than alternate choices.

Yet, the issue was not short-sighted...it was designed to help me see and focus more clearly on the the future...what I'd need to improve my sales and shipping of same...without the typical "shipwreck" one might experience with an errant sale not reaching its destination. As schools and shoppers are still reluctant to meet in large crowds because of Covid, more will be turning to online sales and shipping carriers for their purchases.

Online retailers will be working hard to insure that their products reach consumers once they've been ordered online. There may be some delays and feelings of futility as the season wears on, but it's more than obvious that many folk's material needs will be satisfied (albeit, temporarily) with online sales.

Thankfully, I'm currently satisfied with my material goods and do not "want" or "need" anything. Am content for the time being and am only hoping to save some cash for seasonal tire installations, likely the first 2 weeks of October...

What is the purpose of the DI box here? Is it for amplification or effects? I just got the Piezo. I don’t have direct box but I have a tube pre, a cab sim, and a PA.

What is the purpose of the DI box here? Is it for amplification or effects? I just got the Piezo. I don’t have direct box but I have a tube pre, a cab sim, and a PA.

The direct box is used for "supposedly" taming treble harshness and for creating a smoother frequency response curve prior to powered speaker. The DI is essentially an effect for changing an unbalanced TS instrument cable to a balanced XLR signal.

From the Sweetwater website: "The Radial ProDI and ProD2 (stereo version) are full-range passive direct boxes. Active direct boxes employ electronic circuits to change the impedance from hi-Z to lo-Z and balance the signal. Passive DIs instead employ a simple passive transformer to do the work. Active DIs require batteries, 48V phantom-power or external power supplies to power their circuits, while passive transformer-equipped direct boxes do not require any power to perform their task. The advantage of a transformer over typical active circuits can be summarized as "a great device to reduce system noise" in a sound system. To accomplish the task of noise elimination, the Radial ProDI and ProD2 features first-class transformers and require no batteries or power supply.

The best feature of the ProDI is "plug and play" ease of use. All you do is connect the instrument to the 1/4" inputs, the 1/4" through jack to the stage amplifier(s) or mixer and the XLR output to the mixing console and you are done. Any distortion? Hit the -15dB pad. Any noise? Just depress the ground lift switch. You will find that with acoustic guitars and basses, the natural tone of the instrument will shine through with a smooth and musical rendering. For electrically powered devices, such as keyboards, the ProDI will immediately eliminate troublesome ground loops while delivering solid dynamics, with a full rich sound."

My ears can't discern frequencies that well, and can only make an approximation. I "guess" that some of the treble frequencies are mitigated and the curve is smoother. The Radial website purports that their products will help provide smoother frequency response. There is a noticeable reduction of ambient noise. Seems like an improvement, but as was said, my ears aren't tuned enough to know frequency response accurately.

Perhaps someone else can chime in and support my thought process or not. The Radial was purchased used in great condition, so no major expense there.

The tube pre will do the job of the DI box. I use the DI box in conjunction with my HeadRush....SE HBII Piezo >> MIX > DI > FRFR108 & SE HBII INST > HeadRush Gigboard > FRFR108.

You'll likely want to use yours thus: SE HBII Piezo >> MIX > Tube Pre > Cab Sim > PA / INST > Amp

Last edited:
I have used the FX input on my Fractal AX8 for the piezo side and mixed it with the amp side in the Fractal signal chain anywhere down the line before the final output.
(This was done on another piezo bridge + humbucker guitar)
You can apply separate EQ and FX to the Piezo versus the humbuckers.
Since the Ax8 output goes to a PA, the piezo is also full range.
The volume on the piezo sets the mix.

I have used the FX input on my Fractal AX8 for the piezo side and mixed it with the amp side in the Fractal signal chain anywhere down the line before the final output.
(This was done on another piezo bridge + humbucker guitar)
You can apply separate EQ and FX to the Piezo versus the humbuckers.
Since the Ax8 output goes to a PA, the piezo is also full range.
The volume on the piezo sets the mix.

Thanks, this is helpful. How did you use your cables (from what outputs to what inputs) so the the Fractal read the incoming piezo signal?

Theoretically, I could use my HeadRush FX send/return in a similar manner, but am at a loss to know just how cable-connection-wise...the HeadRush has 1 instrument input and an FX send/return. The stereo (L/R) main outputs feed 2 FRFR108s.

The piezo guitar output went to the FX return.
The mag output went to the normal input.
I don't know about the Headrush, but in the AX8 you can apply different EQ and FX to the Piezo (FX Return) channel.
A little scooping of the mids, some reverb and possibly chorus is nice. Then it's routed to the output and summed with the magnetic Amp chain.

Seriously thinking about a SE Hollowbody ii piezo, but they are hard to come by.

The piezo guitar output went to the FX return.
The mag output went to the normal input.
I don't know about the Headrush, but in the AX8 you can apply different EQ and FX to the Piezo (FX Return) channel.
A little scooping of the mids, some reverb and possibly chorus is nice. Then it's routed to the output and summed with the magnetic Amp chain.

Seriously thinking about a SE Hollowbody ii piezo, but they are hard to come by.

I'll need to re-read my HR's owner's manual to know how to use the FX channel. IIRC, an FX block is added within the signal path, but I've not tried working with this yet myself. Perhaps some YT videos might be the ticket...will be back after some research...

FTR...

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/gui...tric /guitars/&utm_content=Guitars - Electric

Last edited:
Yes. I saw that. But I prefer the Black and Gold color scheme.
I would like to try one out at a local dealer before committing.

Yes. I saw that. But I prefer the Black and Gold color scheme.
I would like to try one out at a local dealer before committing.

Same here (black gold has that vibe). eBay/Reverb would be my next stop. In case you can't play one hands-on, here's a nice example of what inspired me to buy w/o holding one. (Sounds great in stereo...) Has a WF neck, lightweight, crisp piezo can be dialed back, warm magnetics, comfortable body shape.

Back