PRS SE Hollowbody II Piezo - Live Use?

CandidPicker

Tone Matters. Use It Well.
Many recent owners of the SE Hollowbody II Piezo, due to social distancing and gathering restrictions, have not taken their guitars out to gigs and had a chance to play said instruments live at open-mics or jams.

After viewing several YT vids, it was noted that the video presenters suggested that the piezo was best used with a DI box before PA, instead of direct into PA.

How do you folks read this? Unless I heard Peach Guitars incorrectly, it sounded like the vid presenter said that if using the MIX output exclusively for piezo, a DI before PA was the suggested route.

Would it be wise to consider owning a DI box, if not for an acoustic guitar alone, but to be used also for the SE HBII Piezo?

Just my humble opinion, but I think you'll get the best bang for buck by using both the outputs.
Send the piezo to a DI (I use a LR Baggs Para Acoustic) and then to PA/powered speaker/acoustic amp. Buckers to your regular amp.
Mixing the two can still happen, but when you want the best acoustic sound, separating them is best.

Forgot you had Headrush 108. So yeah, one cable for buckers to the Headrush, and piezo output to the second input on the Headrush 108.
Try that and see if it sounds good enough without a DI box.

Forgot you had Headrush 108. So yeah, one cable for buckers to the Headrush, and piezo output to the second input on the Headrush 108.

Thanks, it might work without the DI box regards the FRFR108, but am thinking of live situations where plugging into a PA is required, specifically the piezo. Thanks for thinking about plugging direct to the FRFR108, though...

Just tested the SE HBII Piezo & FRFR108 using both of the guitars outputs...plugged into one of the FRFR108's inputs; the piezo is crisp and clear. Almost too crisp. No way to tame the tone unless using a DI or parametric DI. The piezo plugs straight into the powered speaker, the magnetic pickups, through the HeadRush > FRFR...

The ¼"> XLR DI might improve the piezo signal tone, but I'm only guessing based on other reviews of both the SE HBII Piezo and DI boxes...

The tone knob on the SE HBII Piezo doesn't affect the piezo tone, correct? (Didn't check that appreciably, but will do so before investing in a DI box...and am going to look darn foolish if the tone knob does affect overall tone...)

Thx. I've got a feeler out for a PRO DI, but might consider the LR Baggs if the PRO DI might be purchased by someone else before I can gather funds for the LR.

The LR Baggs is a decent price. And not far from where I live. Thanks for researching this. I may need to hook you up with a t-shirt or something...

Last edited:
Thx. I've got a feeler out for a PRO DI, but might consider the LR Baggs if the PRO DI might be purchased by someone else before I can gather funds for the LR.

The LR Baggs is a decent price. And not far from where I live. Thanks for researching this. I may need to hook you up with a t-shirt or something...
That's what this place is for, no need to hook me up.:)

I am a big supporter of the LR Baggs Para. If you compare direct through the PA vs. running through the Para, there really is no comparison!

A good direct box is always a good thing to have. I prefer the Baggs Para DI (at least until the Baggs Soundscape comes out).

I have only seen the Para DI with battery or phantom power. I Jerry-rigged an adapter with an eraser and the battery tray so I could power the Baggs with my pedalboard power supply.

Yep, I use phantom power so the only 9 volt I have to watch is in the P22.

Not to say that the Radial is inferior, but the controls on the Para are miles better. Needs a battery or PS though.

Thanks for the heads-up. My SE A60E has its own tone knob (which solves a portion of the problem) and the SE HBII Piezo just needs to have a little of the crisp "edge" taken off the piezo. According to Radial's website, a simple DI box will do that (smooth out harshness and soften tone somewhat).

Personally, I don't need to get in any digs against the LR Baggs (the required battery or phantom power adds a separate level of complication I don't want or need). It's easy to understand this when you view it from a "Do I really need more moat monsters" perspective...o_O

That's what this place is for, no need to hook me up.:)

Dave,

Thanks. It's appreciated that you took the time to research not only Radial's website, but also Reverb's. AND, found a LR Bagg's not more than 14 miles away from me. Instead of thinking how to dissuade further suggestions for considering the LR Baggs, please let me reassure you that I've located a Radial DI box from our region at a reasonable price. Such that I won't need to donate a kidney to pay for this, or pay more than necessary to accomplish what is required.

Thanks to all those who contributed to this post. Will follow-up if the Radial purchase goes through as expected soon...

I'm another supporter of the Para. I use both outputs, and run the piezo to the Para, then to the PA. Another plus is being able to use the same connecting for my acoustics. Slight tweaks, and away we go.

Good luck.

I'm another supporter of the Para. I use both outputs, and run the piezo to the Para, then to the PA. Another plus is being able to use the same connecting for my acoustics. Slight tweaks, and away we go.

Good luck.

Thanks for responding. Currently utilizing a Radial PRO DI between HBII Piezo MIX output and FRFR108 powered speaker. While the response is flat (no reverb, delay, etc), the HeadRush (that the HBII's INST output patches through to) has plenty of effects that complement the acoustic flat response. Plus, the HeadRush has several recently created rigs that are designed specially for acoustic guitar...one with no wet effects, others with stereo doubler, reverb, and delay.

Simply by slightly increasing the FRFR108 volume, it's possible to produce decent acoustic guitar volume even though effects and an IR acoustic cab are the only HeadRush components used (read: no acoustic or guitar amps).

The goal of utilizing a Radial PRO DI was tame some of the harshness caused by increased volume...the Radial removes excessive transients and smooths out the response curve slightly. Anyone can attest to the fact that either frequency or volume transients can be disturbing to one's listening, therefore the Radial suited the bill quite nicely.

Glad you found a solution that works for you. I've got a few Radial DIs, and have used them for years. The Para was my choice because I run a couple/few acoustics through the same rig, and wanted to be able keep thre gear load light and mixer setup simple.

The Headrush has been calling out, but I am trying to stay firmly in the analog(ish) world right now. I like the way you are using it, and I like that it allows you to streamline your path. Great job.

Back