PRS SE Custom 24 35th Anniversary Edition Review

singularity6

I preordered the PRS SE Custom 24 35th Anniversary Edition guitar on April 22, and it took over a month to come in. The anxious wait was quite worth it! I’m beyond impressed with how the instrument sounds and plays, and it looks great, too!

Playability and Feel:
The 25” scale wide-thin neck plays quite well. It’s a little snappier than a Les Paul or SG, and the strings are just slightly bendier than you’d expect from an Ibanez or Fender. It fits really well in my average-sized hands. The frets are impeccable, and the abalone inlays really stand out. I really like the feel of the 10” radius. Chords and single note runs are executed with equal ease. As expected, it weighs about the same as an SG or a strat, but it’s infinitely more balanced than an SG. I also really enjoy the overall feel of the carve. It fits against my body very well, and the lower horn is scooped out in a way that allows you to reach the highest notes with no issues at all. Out of the box, I had to tune it up multiple times as the strings needed to settle in. The strings were binding at the nut, but a quick file job took care of that. I also had to adjust the bridge saddle of the third string, as the intonation was off. I’m still trying to get it to where I can use the trem and not worry about the tuning going out of whack (I’d rather take my time with this… it’s easier to file the nut a little at a time!)

Sound:
This guitar really resonates! I did not expect it, to be honest. I’ve played a few SE’s, S2’s and even a custom shop PRS in stores, so I thought I knew what I could expect. Well, this guy really surprised me! This is my best sounding guitar when played unplugged. I got some nice jazzy cleans and some pretty convincing metal tones out of this guitar with no effort what-so-ever. The humbuckers are full sounding and quite articulate. Normally, I don’t like the way humbuckers split, but these sounded pretty solid. When doing my research, I was wondering how I’d feel about the 85/15 S pickups. The biggest complaint about SE guitars that I hear would be with the pickups being “harsh,” “icepicky,” or “sterile.” I can’t say that I dislike these. In fact, I would go so far as to think that I might like them! The bridge pickup is a bit on the bright side… but that’s what the treble knob on my amp is for! (There’s also a knob on the guitar, as well as on any of my drive/distortion pedals…) Expecting to swap instruments and not adjusting amp settings has always seemed to be a bit much for me. Yep! It’s a keeper!

Features and Construction:
I settled on this guitar because of the features. I liked all the switching options for the pickups, and the abalone inlays were a nice touch. Also, the Black-Gold finish wasn’t available to other SE’s. The finish really is beautiful, and the inlays really pop. Unfortunately, the half of the bookmatched flame fades out significantly when looking at it from certain angles, which is a real bummer. Swapping out the speed knobs for the PRS lampshade knobs finishes it off nicely. I also had Sweetwater swap out the tuners for the PRS SE Locking Tuners. I’m sure the other tuners were fine, but having locking tuners with the trem system made good sense (PRS should make this a standard feature, at least on their SE Customs) for tuning stability and for easier string changes.

Overall:
Just wow… This is totally worth the asking price! I can’t imagine anyone not being happy with this instrument. It plays great, looks great and sounds great!

Thanks, all!
I'm pretty sure they're 85/15 S's with a treble bleed on the tone cap.

https://www.prsguitars.com/index.php/electrics/model/35th_anniversary_se_custom_24_2020

The PRS 35th Anniversary SE Custom 24 is here to celebrate 35 years of guitar making and innovation. Designed around the one that started it all, the Custom 24, this limited-edition model captures the foundational elements of an iconic model and adds the musical functionality of the Paul’s Guitar, creating a new, versatile platform. The 35th Anniversary SE Custom 24 features TCI “S” treble and bass pickups with two mini-toggle switches that allow players to put either or both pickups in humbucking or true single-coil mode. The clarity and unique tones of these vintage-inspired pickups are both big and nuanced, so players can easily find their sweet spot.

As I stated in the other thread about 85/15 S hate:

I'm pretty sure that's just a branding thing. It's really no different than buying a "matched" set of Seymour Duncan's, if you think about it.

As I stated in the other thread about 85/15 S hate:

I'm pretty sure that's just a branding thing. It's really no different than buying a "matched" set of Seymour Duncan's, if you think about it.

As I said in the other thread, its about presenting an accurate review, not misleading people - not just those looking to buy a 35th Anniversary but any guitar that is equipped with 85/15 'S' pick ups too and to stop arguing back and forth about 'which' pick-ups a guitar has been equipped with.

Both sets of Pick-ups are great but its important to get the facts right and not mislead people. If you were running a set of Seymour Duncans in your Guitar, then it would make sense to state what actual pick-ups were in the guitar at the time of review as that is a fundamental part of the overall guitars 'sound'. Its not just the 35th Anniversary purchasers either that may be mislead but anyone looking to buy a guitar with 85/15 'S' pick-ups who read this review and think that they will get 'similar' from their purchase. You do talk about the Pick-ups, how full sounding and articulate they are, how you actually like the Split humbucker sounds and that they are pretty solid so its important to actually get the facts right.

Even when others suggested that the 35th Anniversary had TCI 'S' pick-ups, you were arguing that 'yours' had the 85/15 'S' in them - so therefore, I linked the official PRS website and copied out the description of the guitar, highlighting the part about what pick-ups are used in the 35th anniversary to provide the definitive answer and to stop any further arguments...

As I said in the other thread, its about presenting an accurate review, not misleading people - not just those looking to buy a 35th Anniversary but any guitar that is equipped with 85/15 'S' pick ups too and to stop arguing back and forth about 'which' pick-ups a guitar has been equipped with.

Both sets of Pick-ups are great but its important to get the facts right and not mislead people. If you were running a set of Seymour Duncans in your Guitar, then it would make sense to state what actual pick-ups were in the guitar at the time of review as that is a fundamental part of the overall guitars 'sound'. Its not just the 35th Anniversary purchasers either that may be mislead but anyone looking to buy a guitar with 85/15 'S' pick-ups who read this review and think that they will get 'similar' from their purchase. You do talk about the Pick-ups, how full sounding and articulate they are, how you actually like the Split humbucker sounds and that they are pretty solid so its important to actually get the facts right.

Even when others suggested that the 35th Anniversary had TCI 'S' pick-ups, you were arguing that 'yours' had the 85/15 'S' in them - so therefore, I linked the official PRS website and copied out the description of the guitar, highlighting the part about what pick-ups are used in the 35th anniversary to provide the definitive answer and to stop any further arguments...

Yeah, I saw that. No intent to mislead here. I'm simply stating what I think is under the hood.

Yeah, I saw that. No intent to mislead here. I'm simply stating what I think is under the hood.

Rather than respond in both places, I am not trying to be 'mean' or upset anyone, I am merely trying to help and let you know that, according to PRS, the 35th Anniversary has the TCI 'S' pickups and so that you don't have to think or presume what you may have. It was meant to help, so that you can 'correct' your review, stop arguing about what pickups are in the 35th anniversary and instead move forward with a better understanding of your guitar. It helps too in the other thread - if you have not got 85/15 'S' pickups, then you can't really discuss them and how great they are based on your experience of owning a 35th Anniversary Custom 24.

I personally believe a lot of the 'hate', maybe not here on a PRS forum, for the 'S' pickups is because of the fact they are not made in the US and not the ones you find on a Core or CE model. Therefore, they must be 'bad'. I think they are equally as good as many after-market brands - but whether or not you like their voicing is a different matter. Its not just the pick-ups that are different from a core but the electronics are too - all of which combined make a difference. I much prefer the vast majority of the 85/15 'S' tones in that video you linked and the few others were too similar to really care.

Anyway, as I said, the purpose of my post was to provide the information from PRS themselves and thus eliminate any 'guess' work from yourself and any ensuing arguments over this so that you could 'amend' your review - as its still relevant and useful - to accurately state the pickups you have at the time of this review. If and when I have reviewed my guitars, if I make a mistake and someone corrects me, I tend to be thankful as it helps me provide a more accurate appraisal and can use that knowledge in the future to help others who may need assistance/guidance. I don't take offence that someone has pointed out an error as the forum is full of incredibly knowledgeable, very helpful people and its a great resource for me too. I know that many here have much greater depth of knowledge than I do and I appreciate the fact that they are willing to share that, to help out and provide advice/assistance.

Rather than respond in both places, I am not trying to be 'mean' or upset anyone, I am merely trying to help and let you know that, according to PRS, the 35th Anniversary has the TCI 'S' pickups and so that you don't have to think or presume what you may have. It was meant to help, so that you can 'correct' your review, stop arguing about what pickups are in the 35th anniversary and instead move forward with a better understanding of your guitar. It helps too in the other thread - if you have not got 85/15 'S' pickups, then you can't really discuss them and how great they are based on your experience of owning a 35th Anniversary Custom 24.

I personally believe a lot of the 'hate', maybe not here on a PRS forum, for the 'S' pickups is because of the fact they are not made in the US and not the ones you find on a Core or CE model. Therefore, they must be 'bad'. I think they are equally as good as many after-market brands - but whether or not you like their voicing is a different matter. Its not just the pick-ups that are different from a core but the electronics are too - all of which combined make a difference. I much prefer the vast majority of the 85/15 'S' tones in that video you linked and the few others were too similar to really care.

Anyway, as I said, the purpose of my post was to provide the information from PRS themselves and thus eliminate any 'guess' work from yourself and any ensuing arguments over this so that you could 'amend' your review - as its still relevant and useful - to accurately state the pickups you have at the time of this review. If and when I have reviewed my guitars, if I make a mistake and someone corrects me, I tend to be thankful as it helps me provide a more accurate appraisal and can use that knowledge in the future to help others who may need assistance/guidance. I don't take offence that someone has pointed out an error as the forum is full of incredibly knowledgeable, very helpful people and its a great resource for me too. I know that many here have much greater depth of knowledge than I do and I appreciate the fact that they are willing to share that, to help out and provide advice/assistance.

Well, if I find out I'm wrong, I will correct it. As of now, I don't think I am.

Well, if I find out I'm wrong, I will correct it. As of now, I don't think I am.

Well to be right, that would mean that the factory put the wrong pickups in by mistake or that someone else swapped the pickups before you bought it. The 35th Anniversary Custom 24 does NOT come with 85/15 'S's. To me it seems you are being stubborn because someone has called you out for making a mistake...

Also states the Pick-ups are the TCI 'S' pickups - watch from 2:15 where Bryan Ewald clearly states that the 35th Anniversary SE model differs from the regular SE Custom 24 (which does have 85/15 'S' Pickups) is the TCI pickups as used in the Pauls guitar and Santana SE Singlecut.

I really don't know why you 'believe' that yours and yours alone is 'different' from the 3499 other 35th Anniversary models will have. However, ALL evidence points to the fact that you are WRONG!!!

Last edited:
Glad you guys got good ones. I preordered back in the fall. After waiting about 4 months they started coming out but you were hearing about quality problems, some of them serious. There were even a couple of threads on here about the quality problems. So I chickened out and cancelled my order. I decided to buy used.

so like I said, glad to hear you guys got good ones. I hope you enjoy them for a good long time!

The trem will be broken in with use, it takes about 25 hours of playing time. Make sure the base of the bridge is parallel to the top of the guitar. Before playing, press the bar several times up and down, then tune and play. After breaking it in, you’ll have what I believe is the best bridge design available.

Back