PRS SE 245 won't hold tune

While I agree that locking tuners don't really affect a stop tail guitar, they sure as hell make a world of difference if you work the trem. I prefer Hipshot open back locking tuners. They're American made, reasonably priced and have an 18:1 tuning ratio. And you don't need to drill new holes.

Agree to disagree? I've had no tuning issues with Fender guitars with non-locking tuners once the bridge is broken in and in my opinion the PRS bridge design is far superior than Fender's. With that said, +1 on those Hipshot open back tuners. They're awesome. I'd just like to add that they also feel super smooth.

I only play PRS, and sometimes I'm "not subtle" in my use of the trem. I had a Floyd rose on a guitar that worked, but I hated dealing with it. Locking tuner on Core, S2's, and SE's have made me a very happy man. Of course, we can agree to disagree, even though we're both named Paul.

Oh absolutely locking tuners are awesome. I tend to take avoid changing the strings on guitars without locking tuners and play with string that are just over it's life, whereas the ones that have locking tuners I'm a bit more on it when it's time to change the strings. Although the part that I dislike the most of changing the strings is stretching them out. It's funny because I'm super patient doing everything else, like adjusting the nut slots, getting rid of those pesky fret sprouts on cheaper guitars, oiling the fretboard... By the way, I stopped using lemon oil and started using Dr. Duck's Ax Wax, per suggestion of one of Martin's tech. It's safe on all finishes, including nitro, and according to the Martin guys, it doesn't corrosive properties of the citrus acid found in lemon oils which can reduce the life of frets, though I personally never had any issues. What I did experience was that the Dr. Duck's Ax Wax did a much better job at moisturizing the supper dried out fretboards sometimes found in newer Gibson's.

I'm the same way when it comes to Floyd Rose. I hate dealing with them so I just avoid them at all costs. And technically I'm named Paulo, but that's just the Portuguese version of Paul and I don't mind one iota being called Paul. If you allow me to digress a bit more, I actually prefer when people assume I'm named Paul relative to when people use the Italian spelling, Paolo, but I've been living in the US for so long I've gotten used to it.

Back