PRS SE 245 won't hold tune

Nivik

Hi guys,

So I have this guitar for about 3 months now , and whenever I pick it up I have to retune it , it also gets out of tune when I play, it's killing me because the tone of it is so good but I just can't take it... what can I do?

Need more info. Have you changed string gauges and not adjusted the nut? Are these the original strings? Do you sweat like ... a lot? What's the climate where you live? etc...

That's fairly normal with a lot of guitars when you first pick them up. If they are left out in a cold environment then the string tension tightens and then loosen back into tune as you play. If there are too many winds on the pegs or they weren't wound well in the first place with the over and then under winding to lock the string in place. Other than that, I've seen a couple of people have problems with 9's slipping on the high e string peg.

My Zach myers was like that when I first got it. I keep it hung on the wall when I'm not playing it. When I take it down it's usually out of tune sharp by a few cents. A bit of stretching before I start playing usually puts it back in tune again so I guess it's the string temp and natural built in tension. With a fixed bridge it shouldn't really be going out of tune while your playing though.

like the previous guy said, the nut slots are really tight on SE's and often pinch the string. I put a new nut on my Zach myers so I forgot about that. The SE nuts are prone to pinching which puts friction on the string, especially if you change from the stock 9's to more conventional 10's for that scale. Like most SE owners I swapped out the nut straight away, it's been the weak spot with these otherwise fantastic guitars for years.

Need more detail.

Is it in tune when you stop playing and then is out of tune when you pick it up some hours later?

When it goes out of tune while playing, are you bending strings?

When you tune up do you hear any "ting" kinds of sounds as the string tightens?

Is one string worse than others at going out of tune?

Does it have a trem?

1. Properly stretch your strings. Stretch & re-tune until the string stays in tune after you stretch it. This is a slow process that can take more than 20 minutes.
  2. Make sure the nut slots are not pinching the strings, if it is you need to file it a little bit. Also add graphite in the nut slots.
  3. Temperature changes can make guitars go out of tune. There's not much that can be done other than try to keep them in a room with more stable temperature/humidity level and keeping the guitar in a case or gig-bag when you're not playing it.
This is assuming you have a fixed bridge 245.

Edit: Also, how old are your strings? Old string will go out of tune more often and will not intonate properly.

Only 'tune up' your guitar. If you overshoot pitch, don't try to get to pitch on the way back or you build slack in the system. Drop lower then 'tune up' to pitch.

+1 on nutslots (some players upsize strings 'fer tonzes' and don't adjust the nut or adjust it haphazardly), did you swap the nut? Same problem as the string changes. I see so many players swap nuts chasing tones the Internet promises and they mess the nut install up, blame it on the tuners 'because I just upgraded the nut!', and then sell the guitar to someone for cheap (who fixes the whole mess).

Use dry graphite 'lock lube' powder in all the contact points for the strings (nut, saddles, string t's).

The guitar it just as I got it , the only change I did was replace the strings a few times, I put 09s just as the ones that were on it when I got it, I tried putting 10s but they didn't fit and I didn't force them in so I settled with 09s (using ernieballs super slinkys if it matters)

The nut dose seem tight

The worst ones are the G and B strings , the high E isn't the best either

It has a solid bridge so it's not like I can put graphite in it , I could do the nut though , I will next time I change strings!

It's fairly cold ATM when I live since it's winter here

The guitar it just as I got it , the only change I did was replace the strings a few times, I put 09s just as the ones that were on it when I got it, I tried putting 10s but they didn't fit and I didn't force them in so I settled with 09s (using ernieballs super slinkys if it matters)

The nut dose seem tight

The worst ones are the G and B strings , the high E isn't the best either

It has a solid bridge so it's not like I can put graphite in it , I could do the nut though , I will next time I change strings!

It's fairly cold ATM when I live since it's winter here

The nut slots are not supposed to be tight. Generally speaking you should be able to from 9's to 10's without any issues. The fact that the 10's didn't fit suggests that there might be some pinching in the nut slots. If you're not comfortable adjusting the slots yourself, I suggest taking it to a tech. If you do end up adjusting it yourself, just remember to be patient a go slow. A little goes a long way. If the height of the strings are good on the 1st and 2nd fret, you need to be careful not the deepen the slots, but just widen them a bit. I on the nut slots of all my guitars and have had to adjust the nut on a few guitars. Fender and Gibson are notorious for having poorly cut nuts, and also PRS SEs prior to 2017 or 2018 (I can't remember the exact year). One of the reason I like PRS so much is how they seem to listen to consumer feedback, as I believe that PRS has mostly addressed the issue on newer SE models. I don't experience the infamous tuning instability of the G string on my Gibson guitars, which I conjecture is because I made sure address any nut slot issues and I always add graphite to its slots with every string change. Like @jvin248 mentioned a lot of people swap the nuts on SEs, however, in most cases all those guitars need are properly slotted nuts. While you're at it, make sure to round off the outside edges of the nut, provided it hasn't worn down already.

The easiest way is to simply use a larger old guitar string, lightly file the slot to make it right. Usually its the smaller slots that are grabbing, sometimes you can hear a plinking sound when you tune or play as the string is caught then released through.

These plastic nuts only are prone to this because if the material/manufacturing process.

I know as had exact same thing on my old se

A bigger sting won't fit though :\

It's REALLY tight , I tried fitting a 10 into the 9 slot it didn't even sit on to of it

Just look at how tight it is
mQQRT8O.jpg

That’s a poorly cut nut, my friend. I’d suggest you get a new one, and have it professionally installed. Most 20 year olds who work for chain stores won’t get it right. Either the graph tech or the PRS nut will do the trick, and they don’t cost much.

When you replace the nut, just be aware the the SE fretboard may be slightly wider than the USA nut. That left a small gap on one of my Bernies on both sides. The other one had a bone nut installed which fit perfectly. I was aware of the gap, but it does not impact playing.

Also consider getting some locking tuners. It took my Bernie (with excellent tuning stability already) to the equivalent of my USA PRSi. Depending on what you buy, the cost could be quite reasonable although I am not sure what tuners with the SE 245.

I still think this nut is workable. Either take it to a tech or get nut files and do it yourself. I’ve never tried to widen it with a larger gauge string. What I’ve done before is to use the gauge I want wrapped sandpaper. It won’t fit because of how tight those slots are. But if will work, it’ll just take some time. Or if you get the nut files it’ll take seconds.

Edit: Here’s some cheap nut files. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LQO3GGS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_qd-DCbNDTCJBN
They feel a bit flimsy and will require some more patience from you than more traditional nut files, but they do work.

Last edited:
Why not take it to a tech and get a good setup? I've found that it's invaluable. Ask around for a few recommendations.

While you're at it, if the tuners aren't locking, have them replaced with drop-in locking tuners. This will make string changes much easier and will help with tuning stability.

It’s been a few months since I’ve played my R0, partially because of my PRSi. Yesterday I picked it up to practice. To my surprise the guitar was still in tune. It has Kluson deluxe tuners, which are non-locking and a nylon nut, which is not a good nut material. However, it is slotted properly. Locking tuners do not add any tuning stability whatsoever. I like them because they make changing the strings faster and easier. Non-locking tuners do require more skill as there are several methods or techniques of stringing a guitar with non-locking tuners. If you do end up changing tuners, just know that it’s a trivial job. I also think your best bet is to take it to a tech and if possible ask the tech if he/she’s okay with you watching him/her work so you can learn. They are sometimes backed up and you might have to part with your guitar for some days, maybe a week. Your second best option is to watch a bunch of YouTube videos of techs and luthiers teaching how to set up a guitar. After I’ve learned to do these things, some friends started bringing their guitars to me for a set up. I’m payed with beer and jam sessions.

Last edited:
Here is a good video I found. Might be worth checking it out. Doesn't address how to file the nut, but let's you know how to test if the slots are pinching. I also like the locking technique used to string a non-locking tuner guitar and the technique he uses to stretch the strings.

we need pcitures of the guitar to really know what's wrong.
what color is it?

;)

pix!

It’s been a few months since I’ve played my R0, partially because of my PRSi. Yesterday I picked it up to practice. To my surprise the guitar was still in tune. It has Kluson deluxe tuners, which are non-locking and a nylon nut, which is not a good nut material. However, it is slotted properly. Locking tuners do not add any tuning stability whatsoever. I like them because they make changing the strings faster and easier. Non-locking tuners do require more skill as there are several methods or techniques of stringing a guitar with non-locking tuners. If you do end up changing tuners, just know that it’s a trivial job. I also think your best bet is to take it to a tech and if possible ask the tech if he/she’s okay with you watching him/her work so you can learn. They are sometimes backed up and you might have to part with your guitar for some days, maybe a week. Your second best option is to watch a bunch of YouTube videos of techs and luthiers teaching how to set up a guitar. After I’ve learned to do these things, some friends started bringing their guitars to me for a set up. I’m payed with beer and jam sessions.
While I agree that locking tuners don't really affect a stop tail guitar, they sure as hell make a world of difference if you work the trem. I prefer Hipshot open back locking tuners. They're American made, reasonably priced and have an 18:1 tuning ratio. And you don't need to drill new holes.

Back