PRS S2 Custom 24 on a Marshall Solid State amp?

Daniel Dante

Hey guys, okay so I've decided to buy a new electric guitar after getting slightly bored of my Fender Stratocaster-(its still a very magnificent guitar to me, but 20 years of playing it & I want something different). Which brings me to PRS guitars. After literally a full year of extensive electric guitar research, I am now very drawn to acquiring a PRS electric guitar. Believe me, in this last year I've tried all of the different elite brands out there & virtually all of the different models within these brands & have yet to play one that felt as special as the PRS guitars I played along the way. I was blown away! I'm sure I don't need to inflate anybody's ego who works for PRS by saying they are absolutely phenomenal guitars...but hey I said it anyway! :) Because they are phenomenal!
So my decision is made; I want one & I'm buying one! Now my budget at this time is £1400.00 which means I am able to afford the S2 series for now, -the S2s I recently played were just superb. So my question to you (finally my question came!) is: Will a PRS S2 Custom 22 (or 24) pair well with a Marshall solid state amp?

When in song learning mode, I use my USA Core PRS with a Fender Mustang solid state amp and it sound good - nothing compared to my 100 watt Marshall 1/2 stack though....

When I got my first PRS all I had was a Peavey Bandit 1x12. It's a pretty good SS amp but I've since gotten some good tube amps and the tubes are better (of course). I would not hesitate to get started on the SS Marshall, but you should budget for a good tube amp after.

Yeah A Tube amp will definitely be a future purchase (when my budget allows!) But for now its either a Marshall SS or I've also got the opportunity to by a Line 6 spider jam 75 modelling amp quite cheap, so I'm also wondering if this amp is any good? Has any one around here put a PRS guitar through a modelling amp & had good experiences with it? Thank you for your feedback so far people, appreciated! :)

To be honest, whichever amp you are considering should sound good no matter what "quality" guitar you use, regardless of brand. If an amp sounds good with a PRS but lousy with a Les Paul, Something Is Wrong with the amp.

It will be far more likely that the amp will sound lousy with all guitars, or good with all guitars.

So any good modeling amp will sound good with the CU24.

Yes, there is the caveat of certain guitars like Telecasters creating a very unique sound when run through certain amps like Fender Twin Reverbs, etc, but a PRS will also sound good, just different. (Google "best amp for telecaster" for amusing variations of what is best for telecaster!)

This quote from dughaze on TGP pretty well sums it up for all good guitars:

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=1036696

There is no worst amp. A good Tele will play well with any good amp, doesn't matter if it's a clean amp or a hi gain amp.

Replace "Tele" with "CU24" and the statement remains the same. It is more a case of whether you like the sound of any particular amp.

Yes, your PRS, regardless of model, will sound great thru a modeling amp. My son has a smaller Spyder amp and I found good sounds on every mode...seriously! And remember: a great feeling and playing guitar will inspire you to play better, which will sound better. So yes, the guitar is the most important part of the chain, IMO, and PRS makes that an easy choice.

Daniel, I have three Blackstar modeling amps and a Yamaha THR 10X and a Roland Cube modeling amps, it will sound fine.
I also have three very nice tube amps which sound great.

The new modeling amps out now sound very good.

I think Corey's Blackstar is one of the better sounding modeling amps, and that's what I'd go for if I needed a modeler.

But instead of spending more money on modelers, why not sell the one you have and put the funds you'd have invested in two modelers into one good tube amp? Hell, you can find Fender tube amps at rock bottom prices just about everywhere if you're willing to buy used. Get yourself a nice Twin or a Deluxe, etc., add a pedal or two, and you'll be in business.

you should be able to find a used blackstar 1 watt or 5 watt combo at a pretty reasonable price. The 1 watt combos are under £200 brand new from the looks of the dealers in the UK. Marshall DSL series are pretty reasonable over there too it looks like.

Hey guys, okay so I've decided to buy a new electric guitar after getting slightly bored of my Fender Stratocaster-(its still a very magnificent guitar to me, but 20 years of playing it & I want something different). Which brings me to PRS guitars. After literally a full year of extensive electric guitar research, I am now very drawn to acquiring a PRS electric guitar. Believe me, in this last year I've tried all of the different elite brands out there & virtually all of the different models within these brands & have yet to play one that felt as special as the PRS guitars I played along the way. I was blown away! I'm sure I don't need to inflate anybody's ego who works for PRS by saying they are absolutely phenomenal guitars...but hey I said it anyway! :) Because they are phenomenal!
So my decision is made; I want one & I'm buying one! Now my budget at this time is £1400.00 which means I am able to afford the S2 series for now, -the S2s I recently played were just superb. So my question to you (finally my question came!) is: Will a PRS S2 Custom 22 (or 24) pair well with a Marshall solid state amp?
Hi, Why don't you buy a used core custom 22/24 instead of a S2 model, they are better guitars. I have just sold a custom 24 around a month ago and bought a DGT to go with my stripped 58. PRS guitars are absolutely superb. I have had numerous Gibson and many other makes, but nothing comes near the build quality and tone of a PRS. By the way I also live in the N west of England. Mark.

Hi, Why don't you buy a used core custom 22/24 instead of a S2 model, they are better guitars. I have just sold a custom 24 around a month ago and bought a DGT to go with my stripped 58. PRS guitars are absolutely superb. I have had numerous Gibson and many other makes, but nothing comes near the build quality and tone of a PRS. By the way I also live in the N west of England. Mark.

Hey Markj thanks for your reply. I've definitely played around with the idea of buying a used Core but think I've go an OCD thing going on cos I want something new, like pristine new. Maybe I'm too fussy or maybe people can relate to that 'needing it to be new' thing. Let me know people, enquiring minds wanna know! :)

Last edited:
Hey Markj thanks for your reply. I've definitely played around with the idea of buying a used Core but think I've go an OCD thing going on cos I want something new, like pristine new. Maybe I'm too fussy or maybe people can relate to that 'needing it to be new' thing. Let me know people, enquiring minds wanna know! :)

I like new, too. Plus you get a warranty.

A Hughes and kettner grand meister 36 is a hell of an amp . Used market for one of them might be an option .

Back