PRS S2 CU24 35th Anniv, remove treble bleed cap?

Dingola

Got this just recently. Really like its neck, but not digging the pickups. They break up nicely, but when i roll down volume, i just don't like the clean tone, sounds thin.

Part of the problem is i hate treble bleed caps. I get a sigh of relief when cutting them from the dgt, which I've done to teo dgts over time.

My questions:
  1. Does this model have bleed cap?
  2. If it does, can i simply clip it or will it screw up vol taper or something? In other words, do i need to have wiring, pots, etc replaced to optimize?

Lug1 has a thin long <resistor or cap>. This is what i clipped.

Lug2 has a round orange drop <resistor or cap>.

Did i clip the wrong one?

If it has a bleed cap, it will be a very small disc shape, connected across both lugs 1 and 2. From your description, you have a resistor connected to lug 1, and an orange drop cap, possibly connected to the tone pot also, connected to lug 2, leave both of these in place. A pic could help.

Here you might be able to see the brown disc shaped cap to the right of the volume pot pictured on the left, connected across lug 1 and 2, and a resistor with colored bands around it, connected to lug 1.

48111850412_02c6d58a5a_o.jpg

For me - the treble bleed cap is very much needed. I love turning down the volume and retaining the tone I love. Without it, as my SCT came, it gets to dark. I added it to the SCT and bam huge improvement.

If you don't like the sound of the pups - change the pups. I am not a fan of most of the pups and change them out.

I actually removed the treble bleed from my 35th SE. Actually....I kinda removed everything. I might show the mods layer. I did for the exact same reasons, was not digging the stock pickups.
Did removing the bleed cap make you like the pickups more?

Here you might be able to see the brown disc shaped cap to the right of the volume pot pictured on the left, connected across lug 1 and 2, and a resistor with colored bands around it, connected to lug 1.

48111850412_02c6d58a5a_o.jpg
Thanks for the pic. Yeah, i clipped the resister. I'll put it back and clip the cap. What does the resistor do?

Did removing the bleed cap make you like the pickups more?
Well...sorta. I replaced the stock tci(s) things with Bareknuckle Abraxas, which was a VAST improvement. To my ears, the tci(s) sounded anemic. They into my Agile Crack O Doom Special. They sound great in there with no treble bleed, but a .047uf orange drop cap in the harness.

Thanks for the pic. Yeah, i clipped the resister. I'll put it back and clip the cap. What does the resistor do?

It is basically across the pot, effectively reducing the value of the vol pot from 500k to around 350k. That resistor value is around 800k I believe, would have to see the color bands to be sure.

It is basically across the pot, effectively reducing the value of the vol pot from 500k to around 350k. That resistor value is around 800k I believe, would have to see the color bands to be sure.
That makes sense. Without it, the higher value pot (virtually) should make things brighter, right? I did not detect a change though. I'm not eric johnson, but seems like i should be able to hear that. One leg is still attached.

Btw, the vol pot has short that shows itself around 9 to 10. Its a new 2020 model. I had heard some say they had issues like that.

Did the new pickups make it a keeper? I may do it. My main guitars are 335 then LP, Strat, Firebird. I love the Pattern Reg neck, but all the others sound better.

I put BN pickuos in a DGT once (treble bleed clipped) and it helped, but i always wanted more low mids. I should have kept it.

...Btw, the vol pot has short that shows itself around 9 to 10....

Everyone calls every electrical problem a short, lol. Do you mean that the sounds drops out or is scratchy? You might try spraying some contact cleaner in the back of the pot and rotate back and forth vigorously.

Heres a look at a harness without the stock treble bleed circuit. The dip switches are both bypassed. The neck on the Abraxas set I have is a two conductor scheme, so no coil split for me. I wasnt using them much anyway, the tone was already so thin with the tci(s) pickups. Id like to use a switch to wire in a piezo system in there.
koXm7Cq.jpg

Last edited:
I am not sure what that resistor is for (is it stock?) but clipping one side of the cap on the volume pot will remove it from the circuit.

Back