PRS ME II keeps going out of tune

mattseed

Hi guys I have had my modern eagle II for over 2 years now and it's been great all that time. Recently I had new tuners fitted, I actually had the new phase III ones out on they look great. I also had some repair work done to the finish so of course the guitar was stripped back of all hardware. Since then it keeps slipping out of tune all the time....I'm not saying there us anything wrong with the tuners, but of course the process it's been through meant the whole guitar was stripped and put back together again, by a pro I might add. I wonder what it might be that has changed but it's really bad for it now. Any help guys ? Matthew.

If the nut was changed, I would start here. The strings may be binding and catching in the nut grooves. Try putting some pencil graphite in the slots over the strings to see if this helps out.

If the nut was changed, I would start here. The strings may be binding and catching in the nut grooves. Try putting some pencil graphite in the slots over the strings to see if this helps out.

Thanks for that, it's not a new nut.....but I guess I could still try and add some graphite and see. Anything else it could be ?

When is it going out of tune? After normal playing? After trem use? After bending? Is it going sharp or flat? Any particular strings?

Thanks, well that's the odd bit it does seem to be all the strings but if I had to pick the worst offenders I would say G and D. And as for flat or sharp it really is a mixture which I also find odd. I have been playing guitar for over 20 years and never had it so bad.....I'm genuinely confused. Thanks guys, Matt.

also it's even with 2 mins of light playing and forget big bends or trem work.

If you had a bunch of work done it may take a bit for the guitar to "settle" back in, my usual suggestion it to be sure to tune UP to pitch and use the trem VERY aggressively retune as needed and keep it up, ALL my PRSi get better the more they are played

Thanks Rider1260, ya know that's what I thought when I first got it back but it's been a few months now and with a lot of playing too.....I kinda hoped that by now it would settle down but no such luck.

I'd check that the bridge pivot screws are absolutely level.

If you do not get any satisfaction from the guitar....then I would return it to the guy that did the work on it in the first place and let HIM find out what is going on!

You paid for a functional guitar when he got through....not a guitar with tuning problems. So let him find out what it is.

If he really is a pro, then it should take no time to find and correct the problem with your guitar!

Feel sorry for ya man, I love my Modern Eagle 1 Private Stock and would hate for it to start having tuning problems.

Last edited:
i bet the neck is out of whack. what was the humidity like while it was worked on compared to your place. I once had a neck shift when the temp dropped here in Michigan. It was a rosewood neck on an musiciman. I now check it and the ME I have when the seasons change. I have an ME Quattro and it has phase III tuners --hybrid for the ME model)

Back