PRS McCarty 594 Tuning Issue when Bending

musicfan123456

Hello,

Any help would be really greatly appreciated. I bought a McCarty 594 recently used from the original owner. It sounds great, except when I bend the G and B strings more than a full step the strings go out of tune. I can hear a tweaking/clanking/skipping sound right at the tuner when I bend. I don’t hear or notice any issues at the nut.
I am going to try restringing with 10s (in case these strings weren’t properly stretched / aren’t 10s).
Are there any remedies I can do to fix the tuner issue or should I bring to a tech? Should I try tightening anything near the gears on the back of the tuners?
Thanks,

Hello,

Any help would be really greatly appreciated. I bought a McCarty 594 recently used from the original owner. It sounds great, except when I bend the G and B strings more than a full step the strings go out of tune. I can hear a tweaking/clanking/skipping sound right at the tuner when I bend. I don’t hear or notice any issues at the nut.
I am going to try restringing with 10s (in case these strings weren’t properly stretched / aren’t 10s).
Are there any remedies I can do to fix the tuner issue or should I bring to a tech? Should I try tightening anything near the gears on the back of the tuners?
Thanks,
I know it doesn’t seem like the nut, but that sort of pinging as you bend sure sounds like a nut issue. You might try just lifting the string and rubbing some pencil lead in the nut slots to see if that alleviates it. I use something called Big Bends Nut Sauce, which is a lube, for this issue. My 594 HB did that when new, but has since worn in and apparently “self-cured” with use.

Back