PRS has changed my opinion on single coils!

EspressoPatronum

I’ve always been a player at the heavier end of the spectrum and humbuckers have been a constant on my guitars as long as I can remember.

I never really liked the tone that any single coils gave me, and even an HSS strat I owned didn’t do it for me.

Now, maybe it’s me mellowing in my old age, but the split tones that my SE 24-08 give are fantastic! They’re certainly single coil but there’s still a depth to them that I’ve not found on any strat or tele ( or could tapped guitar ) I’ve played.

This is proving to be such a versatile guitar!

*edit* I should also add that it’s got the most playable and useable clean bridge humbucker tone I’ve ever heard too!

Last edited:
There's no doubt PRS has come up with some cool PU splitting techniques ... many others have, too...but PRS' have a minimum of volume drop, and are really damned close to S and T singles...
Not exact, mind you, but damned close, great for a working man's axe.

There's no doubt PRS has come up with some cool PU splitting techniques ... many others have, too...but PRS' have a minimum of volume drop, and are really damned close to S and T singles...
Not exact, mind you, but damned close, great for a working man's axe.

Just like David Grissom said during a DGT demo at Experience PRS one year. He split the bridge pickup to single coil and said they were going for a Strat single coil sound. He said, "Is it exactly right? No, but it's close enough to do the job."

I’ve always been a player at the heavier end of the spectrum and humbuckers have been a constant on my guitars as long as I can remember.

I never really liked the tone that any single coils gave me, and even an HSS strat I owned didn’t do it for me.

Now, maybe it’s me mellowing in my old age, but the split tones that my SE 24-08 give are fantastic! They’re certainly single coil but there’s still a depth to them that I’ve not found on any strat or tele ( or could tapped guitar ) I’ve played.

The 24-08 switching system is fantastic. Its one of those things that I never knew I needed till I had it, now I can't live without it. I really want to copy the circuit and stick it on a few other guitars in time.

This is proving to be such a versatile guitar!

*edit* I should also add that it’s got the most playable and useable clean bridge humbucker tone I’ve ever heard too!

Your posting echoes the way I'm feeling about my two most recent PRS acquisitions precisely!

When I picked up the CU24 35th Anniversary and first experienced the single coil sound of the split neck pickup, I was just blown away. Just the pickup by itself is amazing in either mode, but being able to combine it with the bridge pickup in any configuration is just genius. It's now difficult to switch away to other guitars in my collection that lack this independent full/split flexibility on each pickup.

There's no doubt: Paul's a genius.

Gary

My Modern Eagle V cured my gas, for sure. The single coil sounds are exquisite. Now that I have spent more time (a year) with the TCI Paul's/narrow 408 pickups I am fully loving the humbucker tones as well. Initially I preferred the original Paul's/narrow 408s. What PRSh and his team develop for the working musician is astounding.

Did you ever play a P90? Should share a lot of traits with the split sound you discovered.

The splitting options are why my Custom 24 35th Anni and S2 594 SC have become my primary go-to guitars when I'm not in need of super low tuning.

My 35th anniversary (a sort of 24-08) floored me with its splits, best I heard in double HB guitar. I still have na itch for decent full sized single coil guitar. Even stronger since I have sold my list strat. This is why my hopes are so high with Fiore

Last edited:
Back