PRS CUSTOM 24 - STRANGE HARMONIC ON 10 FRET - B STRING

Rhandy

Hi!

I check and double check my guitar intonation, and everything is right.
The frets are level.
I always have one harmonic note like one octave up on B string 10 fret. Is high picth note, in the beginnig I think is was something like feedback.
I know more Customs 24 have same issue.
Any way to fix it?

I think you are talking about a "wolf tone". When you pick the note it sounds and then it quickly turns into a more hollow sound. It is a common occurrence on many guitars and very often on 24 fretters. Some people like the sound. I love it when I end a riff on a wolf tone and it becomes prominent in the sustain.

To prove it is a wolf tone, put a weight on the headstock (like a little C-clamp with a rag in between to protect the finish) and if the note changes to a different fret, it is a wolf tone.

Sometimes you can reduce them by adding a spring to the trem or changing string sizes but it is hard to eliminate them.

After I put this post, I search on google and finnaly I found the correct Term.
I think it was a wolf tone, I never try put any clamp, but today I will try that. When I play with overdrive, the note plays and go some harmonic sound. For example if I play carlos santana europa lick I start on 8 fret B string and I finish on 10 fret B string, I always go to one harmonic note. Sometimes its very cool, but other times is very bad to dial with it.

So, there´s no way to elimate then ? :mad:

Last edited:
If you have a clip on tuner that is heavy enough to move the note to the next fret that can help. If not you can also move the riff to another string when you don't want the wolf tone. A little awkward but life's not perfect.

I believe another member also had a problem ( issue ) with a wolf tone that he did not care for his solution was to dampen the Trem springs and he was all good.
I have found that the lively response and sustain on a PRS make it easy to get them to kinda feed back ( or just a kind ringing sound ) especially it you run delay/reverb with your gain settings.

Last edited:
Ok! I test with my Peterson clip tuner and it move only one fret.

I believe another member also had a problem ( issue ) with a wolf tone that he did not care for his solution was to dampen the Trem springs and he was all good.
I have found that the lively response and sustain on a PRS make it easy to get them to kinda feed back ( or just a kind ringing sound ) especially it you run delay/reverb with your gain settings.

I see people put some rubber tubes inside springs, but I dont is you mean with damoen trem sprins?

Ok! I test with my Peterson clip tuner and it move only one fret.
I see people put some rubber tubes inside springs, but I dont is you mean with damoen trem sprins?
Yes that is what you should try. You can also use foam padding under them as a test but tubing is better IMO.

I have a old yamaha pacifica that is nice and lively and has always had that trem-spring-wolf-tone thing. its an odd noise but sometimes it just works.

I was just thinking, the most wolf tones I get come from my McSoapy with a stoptail. No trem springs to use for damping if I wanted too, which I don't. I use those tones a lot. If you use that fret as a passing tone you don't hear it. When you land on it and hold for sustain you get what I like to hear. People are different I guess.

I was just thinking, the most wolf tones I get come from my McSoapy with a stoptail. No trem springs to use for damping if I wanted too, which I don't. I use those tones a lot. If you use that fret as a passing tone you don't hear it. When you land on it and hold for sustain you get what I like to hear. People are different I guess.

this sounds like influence from the pickup poles. have you tried lowering your pickups?

I try To put some sponge on trem but not make any result.
I have other custom 24 . But is SE. Paul allender Model with Emg pickups and don't have any Wolf Tone.
I don't try lower The pickups YET on my american Cu 24.
But one thing I know, with The Peterson Clip tuner on it . The Wolf Tone moves To other fret.
One tech suggest To try one Fender Fat Fingers.

Hi!:):):):):):):):):)
I cannot total fix it. But I have 85% better.
I normally use d'addario exl 10-46 strings. I have at home one elixir 10-46 set, and I decide change the D'addario EXL to Elixir. And WOW! I lose crispy high I don't like too much, because this guitar have lots of high, and with EXL strings I thins is too much. And I have much more bluesy tone.
The wolf tone don´t disapear but is much less pronounced .

Back