PRS Cases Not What They Used To Be?

phaedrus242

I've got 4 USA PRS's. An '04 McCarty, an '06 Singlecut, a 25th 305 and now a new Custom 24. The older cases are super solid, have soft handles and feel very well built. The 305 is new but has that snazzy white case. The Custom 24 case, despite being only a few months old is in the worst condition (inside). The covered area (where you keep you strap, etc) had separated from the bottom of the case. Not the end of the world, but I can't keep picks or a loose trem arm in there any longer. Anyone else having issues with these? Did I maybe just get one built on a Friday?

I was carrying a new case through the airport a few days ago wishing it had the older-style leather handle but they all seem to do the job.

Yeah I own a bunch of new cases and I have no issues with them :\

Had a chance recently to compare a new case to an old case ( '04) that used to be mine and noticed nothing other than we both joked that they kick most any other cases rear ends.The new one seemed as well built as the older one...ymmv of course :)

I think the cases are kinda cheesy too. Especially when cheaper guitars come with better cases. I know that it probably saves a few dollars by going to the solid hard plastic handles and the 3 welfare latches instead of having a couple of the nice old sliding ones like before but...if it's 5 bucks per case, and the bean counters are freaking-out, charge us the extra fiver. I'd gladly pay it for the nice old cushy handles and sliding latches.
YMMV and I still love my PRSs

I'm totally with you. Obviously I love the guitars. I'm a gigging musician, so this represents a pretty large amout of money for me. I'm just a little bummed out that this particular case will need to be repaired/replaced so quickly. I totally understand having to make sacrifices in production. Fwiw the Custom 24 itself seems to be the best built guitar I've ever seen. Maybe I'll see if I can't have something cool built in there.

Yes, new cases are declining.

I had a 1998 case here until last summer, and have been using PRS cases with the guitars since 1991. I will respectfully disagree.

The spring latches on the older standard cases were a pain in the rear, became stuck, and often sprung open at inopportune times. The quality of the wooden cases themselves was the same. The only thing nicer about the older standard cases was the padded handle.

The new artist cases are as nice, with padded handles and the nylon covering that's more durable than the bonded leather they used for the old black artist cases. Again, I think the spring latches looked cool but were a pain in the rear.

I've never had a private stock so can't speak to those cases.

If you're really, really picky, I recall that the corners of the end wrap vinyl were more rounded. But that's not something that's functional or adds to the quality of the case, at least to me.

Last edited:
I haven't noticed any quality differences in my cases. I have even bought a few extra Paisley cases and a case for a HB. All good here.

I had a 1998 case here until last summer, and have been using PRS cases with the guitars since 1991. I will respectfully disagree.

The spring latches on the older standard cases were a pain in the rear, became stuck, and often sprung open at inopportune times. The quality of the wooden cases themselves was the same. The only thing nicer about the older standard cases was the padded handle.
I agree. My stripped 58 case seems to be holding up just fine. The spring latches on the old cases are cool until they've been used a ton...then stuck. Padded handle is nice til it's been carried around often for 10-20 years, then it starts falling apart.
The jury is still out on my SCHB II case. It doesn't seem as sturdy as I thought it would be. The padding inside seems designed well, but the thickness and rigidness of the outer part of the case worries me a bit.

Are we talking quality or actual decline / change?

My '08 case is thicker than my '10. My '10 is thicker than my '12.

My '10 and '12 have the lesser latches for all three, my '08 has two spring-loaded latches and the one clip latch thing.

And of course, the '10 and '12 do not have the nice padded handle.

Overall, the quality of the materials seems to have downgraded.

I'm sure it's just a sign of the times and the rising cost of labor and materials.

My only concern is that the thickness of the case is way less than it once was.

Still a fan...but this isn't the Emperor's New Clothes...

I have to chime in here.. The case on my newest PRS, an Artist V, fits the guitar poorly. The cutout is too large and the guitar slides around (fore-and-aft) in the opening. I took pictures and contacted my salesman who in-turn contacted PRS. They said it was normal and nothing was done.

In comparison, the case on my Artist II is a perfect fit. Snug as a bug in a rug....

895573_10151526016032412_260647833_o.jpg

Depth and latch comparison - 2012, 2010, and 2008...enjoy the stickers.

900980_10151526015807412_2038374115_o.jpg

2010 and 2008 handles - notice the hardware differences on the attachment from the case to the handle.

900864_10151526025607412_865425013_o.jpg

Hinge comparison - 2012, 2010, and 2008.

900824_10151526016157412_199536089_o.jpg

Depth comparison again...the 2008 and 2012.

Mike, is there any evidence that the depth of the cases or the hinges have caused a problem? Everything seems to be intact and functioning.

Smaller isn't necessarily worse.

The handle, well, there's that.

They are functioning okay...I just feel like the thinner cases won't hold up as well when I travel. I rely on the 2008 case for most of my travels. They're are bad, they have just declined in size in every facet.

Back