New to forum. Not new to PRS. A question about noise coming from what seems to be my tone pot...

Paul_Staats

Hey,
My name is Paul. I've been playing a Paul Reed Smith exclusively since I was 16. I'm now 37. I went back to
school about four years ago now and got an Associates of Fine Arts- Music performance degree.

My question is this:
I noticed a particular noise coming from my '93 CE 24. When I turn the Tone pot all the way down, the noise seems to disappear completely. I've already order a new PRS Tone pot to install in hopes that installing it will fix the issue.
Does anyone have any troubleshooting suggestions while I wait on this Tone pot to arrive in the mail?

It sounds like you hit the nail on the head. Pots do go bad over time. And considering the age of yours, it may be due. Some may suggest spraying the pot with an electrical deoxidizer first to see if that clears it up. If it does, Great!, now you have a spare pot for somewhere down the road.
Right on the money.

Hey,
My name is Paul. I've been playing a Paul Reed Smith exclusively since I was 16. I'm now 37. I went back to
school about four years ago now and got an Associates of Fine Arts- Music performance degree.

My question is this:
I noticed a particular noise coming from my '93 CE 24. When I turn the Tone pot all the way down, the noise seems to disappear completely. I've already order a new PRS Tone pot to install in hopes that installing it will fix the issue.
Does anyone have any troubleshooting suggestions while I wait on this Tone pot to arrive in the mail?
Welcome to the forum

Hey,

My question is this:
I agree with the others, a shot of cleaner like Deoxit might be all you need. The less pots are turned, the more likely they are to get funky on you. Welcome to the forum!

Back