PRS Amps with the KOT V4

Adam O.

Hi everyone.... I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with the King of tone when it comes to PRS amps. Mainly the Dallas and the DG30. If so, how did it seem to work out? I’m thinking about picking up a KOT but I’d like some insight on how it gets along with PRs amps. Thanks!

I haven’t found a dirt pedal my DG30 didn’t love. I don’t have a Dallas.

I haven’t got a KOT, but I’ve used pedals that do KOT-ish things, and they worked well.

Dirt and boost pedals I’ve used with it, all happy combinations as far as I’m concerned:

Klon
Bogner Wessex
Bogner Burnley
OCD
Xotic BB
Xotic SP
Xotic EP
Suhr Kokoboost
JHS Morning Glory
Pettyjohn Pettydrive 2 (has six different types of distortion, all analog, stackable)
Pettyjohn Lift
Fulltone 69
Fulltone Plimsoul
Fulltone Secret Freq
Fulltone Catalyst
Fulldrive 2

Our resident Dallas guru says it takes pedals like a champ. The KOT is, per TGP legend, one of the best pedals ever. I can't imagine it being anything less than great.

But to answer your question directly, I have not tried a KOT or a Dallas, so this match made in heaven is only in my mind at this point. (As is mine with Julie Bowen, unfortunately).

It’s been several years since I played a KOT thru my Super Dallas, but it sounded great! Also tried a POT at the same time, as well as a Timmy, and they all did unique things. Hall of fame winners that remain my favs with the Dallas family include:
  • Klon KTR
  • BB Preamp
  • Kalamazoo Gold
  • Keeley TS-9 Mod Plus
  • EP Booster
  • OCD
Stacking ODs also yielded great results.

So there you have it from our Dallas guru. Next question is, will you even remember this thread by the time you get it??? :eek::eek: Seriously, what is the current wait time for a new one? I saw recently at TGP and think it was... maybe almost a year! That's painful. And really, for a pedal, unacceptable. When those guys get that backed up, but then stay that way for years, they're doing it on purpose to keep the market where they want it. Pedals are too easy to build, to not get some help and catch up. They ONLY do that to drive the market and "mystique" for the pedal.

So there you have it from our Dallas guru. Next question is, will you even remember this thread by the time you get it??? :eek::eek: Seriously, what is the current wait time for a new one? I saw recently at TGP and think it was... maybe almost a year! That's painful. And really, for a pedal, unacceptable. When those guys get that backed up, but then stay that way for years, they're doing it on purpose to keep the market where they want it. Pedals are too easy to build, to not get some help and catch up. They ONLY do that to drive the market and "mystique" for the pedal.

Not that I know for one moment what the guy who runs Analogman is thinking, but it’s just a really small shop, and pedals aren’t all that profitable to make, unless you achieve economies of scale, like the Boss and Strymons of the world.

You can’t really achieve economy of scale handmaking pedals as Analogman certainly does (his shop’s been on YouTube).

They don’t have the ability to crank out multiple pedals by the thousands in a short period of time.

My guess is they build pedals In small batches and move on to the next pedal model when they’ve assembled all the pedals in a run. That’d be a very simple and logical explanation for the wait times, requiring no complicated speculation about the dude’s inner motivation, the state of the pedal market, or the desirability of having few pedals for sale at any given time.

Using the principle of Occam’s razor, the simplest explanation is usually true.

Some folks are in business to build a big, efficient, and highly profitable business, and some folks are in business to make a living and have something to do that they like, and some are in-between. It’s hard to guess at someone’s inner thoughts.

Last edited:
Not that I know for one moment what the guy who runs Analogman is thinking, but it’s just a really small shop, and pedals aren’t all that profitable to make, unless you achieve economies of scale, like the Boss and Strymons of the world.

You can’t really achieve economy of scale handmaking pedals as Analogman certainly does (his shop’s been on YouTube).

They don’t have the ability to crank out multiple pedals by the thousands in a short period of time.

My guess is they build pedals In small batches and move on to the next pedal model when they’ve assembled all the pedals in a run. That’d be a very simple and logical explanation for the wait times, requiring no complicated speculation about the dude’s inner motivation, the state of the pedal market, or the desirability of having few pedals for sale at any given time.

Using the principle of Occam’s razor, the simplest explanation is usually true.

Some folks are in business to build a big, efficient, and highly profitable business, and some folks are in business to make a living and have something to do that they like, and some are in-between. It’s hard to guess at someone’s inner thoughts.
Ask Mike/Rider about his experiences in this department. The man makes amazing pedals and has lived to tell the tale.

As of 7th Jan 2019, the King of Tone is shipping out to people on the wait list on or before October 2016. That's over a two year wait for the pedal. I'm not aware of any of their other pedals having a wait list. It really does look like they could afford to hire some more staff.

As of 7th Jan 2019, the King of Tone is shipping out to people on the wait list on or before October 2016. That's over a two year wait for the pedal. I'm not aware of any of their other pedals having a wait list. It really does look like they could afford to hire some more staff.
----
I have a KOT and I haven't found an amp it won't work with. It's dynamic and allows more high and low through than a TS. That said, for my rig I like more of a prominent mid boost pedal.

I'd love a king of tone, but a two year wait is a bit of a deal breaker, and the second hand prices are ridiculous. I'm thinking of making myself a clone

I've played a few KOT clones and so far I don't think any can replace it. I paid $400 for mine. I could sell it for that much anytime. It's not on my board because I like more of a mid boost, but if you like a dynamic drive that just gives you a mild mid boost, It's the best on the market.

I've played a few KOT clones and so far I don't think any can replace it. I paid $400 for mine. I could sell it for that much anytime. It's not on my board because I like more of a mid boost, but if you like a dynamic drive that just gives you a mild mid boost, It's the best on the market.
I'm sure it is but I don't have anything like $400 to spare. At the moment I can hardly justify the cost of a kit of parts either. So a clone will have to do for a few years until we're a two income family again. I will likely get a true KoT at some point in the future when I can afford it

I sold my KoT (worst mistake) shortly before I bought the JMOD, but the JMOD takes pedals so beautifully that I have no doubt it would work. I'm 18 months odd into the waiting list, so hopefully I'll get the email soon.

I sold my KoT (worst mistake) shortly before I bought the JMOD, but the JMOD takes pedals so beautifully that I have no doubt it would work. I'm 18 months odd into the waiting list, so hopefully I'll get the email soon.
Another 7 or 8 months I reckon

So, as this is a KoT thread, here's my go at one. I'd love a genuine one, but I just can't afford it, even this clone is a stretch at the moment. But it was really quite enjoyable to do, so I think a few more home built pedals are in my future.

FUvdMvV.jpg

H9p4wKk.jpg

tAgeOHv.jpg

TsoMTwH.jpg

CSmwmm7.jpg

gnAhRmY.jpg

dSJrrwf.jpg

aSwRkBT.jpg

WzII87Z.jpg

anvkECF.jpg

It's basically a straight up clone, but with the trim pots moved to the outside. It also has a charge pump to run at 18v and each side can be selected between 9 and 18v. I think it's best with the boost run at 18v.

One day I may even get around to comparing it with the real deal

The weird thing is that I thought I was making a joke. I didn’t realize that there was actually a pedal kit by that name!
Ha ha, the kit is just called Emperor, but king of clones naturally gets used a lot for the clone pedals. Just like Klone gets used for Klon

Back