PRS Amps with the KOT V4

Discussion in 'Amplifiers' started by Adam O., Jan 7, 2019.

1. Adam O.

Adam O. New Member

Hi everyone.... I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with the King of tone when it comes to PRS amps. Mainly the Dallas and the DG30. If so, how did it seem to work out? I’m thinking about picking up a KOT but I’d like some insight on how it gets along with PRs amps. Thanks!

2. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

I haven’t found a dirt pedal my DG30 didn’t love. I don’t have a Dallas.

I haven’t got a KOT, but I’ve used pedals that do KOT-ish things, and they worked well.

Dirt and boost pedals I’ve used with it, all happy combinations as far as I’m concerned:

Klon
    Bogner Wessex
    Bogner Burnley
    OCD
    Xotic BB
    Xotic SP
    Xotic EP
    Suhr Kokoboost
    JHS Morning Glory
    Pettyjohn Pettydrive 2 (has six different types of distortion, all analog, stackable)
    Pettyjohn Lift
    Fulltone 69
    Fulltone Plimsoul
    Fulltone Secret Freq
    Fulltone Catalyst
    Fulldrive 2

3. DreamTheaterRules

DreamTheaterRules Former Lyricist for Calhoun Tubbs

Our resident Dallas guru says it takes pedals like a champ. The KOT is, per TGP legend, one of the best pedals ever. I can't imagine it being anything less than great.

But to answer your question directly, I have not tried a KOT or a Dallas, so this match made in heaven is only in my mind at this point. (As is mine with Julie Bowen, unfortunately).

Lister and bodia like this.
  4. Boogie

Boogie SuperD

It’s been several years since I played a KOT thru my Super Dallas, but it sounded great! Also tried a POT at the same time, as well as a Timmy, and they all did unique things. Hall of fame winners that remain my favs with the Dallas family include:
    • Klon KTR
    • BB Preamp
    • Kalamazoo Gold
    • Keeley TS-9 Mod Plus
    • EP Booster
    • OCD
    Stacking ODs also yielded great results.

toothace, bodia and DreamTheaterRules like this.
  5. DreamTheaterRules

DreamTheaterRules Former Lyricist for Calhoun Tubbs

So there you have it from our Dallas guru. Next question is, will you even remember this thread by the time you get it??? :eek::eek: Seriously, what is the current wait time for a new one? I saw recently at TGP and think it was... maybe almost a year! That's painful. And really, for a pedal, unacceptable. When those guys get that backed up, but then stay that way for years, they're doing it on purpose to keep the market where they want it. Pedals are too easy to build, to not get some help and catch up. They ONLY do that to drive the market and "mystique" for the pedal.

6. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

Not that I know for one moment what the guy who runs Analogman is thinking, but it’s just a really small shop, and pedals aren’t all that profitable to make, unless you achieve economies of scale, like the Boss and Strymons of the world.

You can’t really achieve economy of scale handmaking pedals as Analogman certainly does (his shop’s been on YouTube).

They don’t have the ability to crank out multiple pedals by the thousands in a short period of time.

My guess is they build pedals In small batches and move on to the next pedal model when they’ve assembled all the pedals in a run. That’d be a very simple and logical explanation for the wait times, requiring no complicated speculation about the dude’s inner motivation, the state of the pedal market, or the desirability of having few pedals for sale at any given time.

Using the principle of Occam’s razor, the simplest explanation is usually true.

Some folks are in business to build a big, efficient, and highly profitable business, and some folks are in business to make a living and have something to do that they like, and some are in-between. It’s hard to guess at someone’s inner thoughts.

#6 LSchefman, Jan 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  7. Boogie

Boogie SuperD

Ask Mike/Rider about his experiences in this department. The man makes amazing pedals and has lived to tell the tale.

8. Tone-y

Tone-y New Member

As of 7th Jan 2019, the King of Tone is shipping out to people on the wait list on or before October 2016. That's over a two year wait for the pedal. I'm not aware of any of their other pedals having a wait list. It really does look like they could afford to hire some more staff.