Private Stock tonewoods and options, what's new, what's gone

The Ratchet

Figured a post describing new PS options and woods, etc. would be cool, including colors/inlays/hardware/all.

So it seems lately ofc, the 408 pickup set is available, as are a few new bridge options.

On the outs it seems - Brazilian rosewood for necks or fingerboards is absolutely 100% done forever (or until Paul uncrates the pile he's hiding in his basement :lol: )

Anyone know what's new on the tonewood front?

Also it seems that overall, the choice/selection of inlay material has been somewhat limited. It would be great if someone could chime in with exactly what is available for inlay materials. Because from what I understand, in almost all cases, I can't supply my own?

Re: Private Stock tonewoods and options, what's new, what's

I was in the Wood Library last month.....

The choice of inlay materials was off the charts!! So many things to choose from.... more than I had seen before! So things are pretty healthy on the inlay front. :cool:

Braz is currently off the menu. I don't know if the odd piece with all the paperwork popped up that met all quality control if they would use it for a one off or a special project....... but there just isn't the supply. I also think that it probably isn't worth their risk to use what does exist out there.

408s were available..... the 2 piece Stoptail.... a new PS trem too if I remember correct..... and the P22 Piezo bridge.

You cant bring your own wood.... i don't know about inlays but I doubt it.

Whilst there is no Braz..... that is pretty much the only think that is off limits. There is so many other things. There were killer Cocoblo fretboard Blanks... They make AWESOME fretboards!! Slick and visually stunning.

They usually some 'outside of the box' exotic timbers in smaller batches than say figured maple and mahogany.... in fact I heard that my neck blank got out of the oven just yesterday!!! :D

I'm guessing pernambco is still off the menu too? I have a guitar in mind that I would order tomorrow if I could get a pernie neck....

This was there when I visited early this month.
CK_06PBrentCocoboloNeck.JPG

What!?!?! No "sinker" mahogany? :lol:

Twinfan said:
I'm guessing pernambco is still off the menu too? I have a guitar in mind that I would order tomorrow if I could get a pernie neck....

I think reserved for Collection, along with Celic Knots.

That's what I thought, which sucks :(

Tim said:

Whilst there is no Braz..... that is pretty much the only think that is off limits. There is so many other things. There were killer Cocoblo fretboard Blanks... They make AWESOME fretboards!! Slick and visually stunning.

:D

+1 as a supporter of Coco. I have it on 2 of my PS's and it looks, feels and sounds great

The choice of inlay materials was off the charts!! So many things to choose from.... more than I had seen before! So things are pretty healthy on the inlay front. :cool:

Braz is currently off the menu. I don't know if the odd piece with all the paperwork popped up that met all quality control if they would use it for a one off or a special project....... but there just isn't the supply. I also think that it probably isn't worth their risk to use what does exist out there.

408s were available..... the 2 piece Stoptail.... a new PS trem too if I remember correct..... and the P22 Piezo bridge.

You cant bring your own wood.... i don't know about inlays but I doubt it.

They usually some 'outside of the box' exotic timbers in smaller batches than say figured maple and mahogany.... in fact I heard that my neck blank got out of the oven just yesterday!!! :D

How does this work with the inlay selection? Do they have pictures of all the Inlays and materials in the PS vault?

How does this work with the inlay selection? Do they have pictures of all the Inlays and materials in the PS vault?

Samples of quite a lot of them. Some you have to imagine (like stained flame maple).

Back