Piezo free hollowbody ii

My SE HBIIP is my most played guitar. While I don't use the piezo a ton, I love having the option. It adds a different flavor when playing wiht several other guitar players, and I frequently send the mags and the P split to separate tracks when recording for a rich, double-d guitar sound, with the mags through my usual rig and the Piezo through an acoustic DI. As noted above, it isn't a substitute for a mic'd acoustic, but it is still plenty useful.

Added cost aside, from a versatility stand point, it is a no-brainer to me. When I win the lottery and order my Private Stock, it will be an HB style, and will definitely have Piezo.

Last edited:
For me, the piezo and hollow body were made to be together like peanut butter and chocolate. I have two HBs and they both have the piezo. I gigged one almost exclusively in the last band I was in. It added so much to the band to be able to have the acoustic tones along with my other electric guitar tones in one guitar. I am glad they don't make the 594 HB with a piezo. I would probably feel the need to buy one.

That is an interesting question. I have a 2012 P22 (P for piezo). I bought it so that in my band I could switch pups between piezo and mag pups in order to cover more songs without switching guitars.
It did its job, but I found myself futzing with two cables, or two wireless bugs, more batteries, an additional DI box etc.
A piezo is worthwhile in a live setting methinks, but it will never replace a well mic'd acoustic in recording.
So yes, it's versatile but your needs and desires are what's important.
What is your use case?
I do the same with my Hollow Body II SE , switch between acoustic and electric and use an Ibanez Trubador for acoustic and Sonzera 20 for electric
Neat to play Sweet Child ‘o mi e and roll from Clean acoustic stimming to full overdrive electric no switch.

I'm just now exploring the depth of the capabilities of my HBII-P and constantly discovering more of what it's made of...and me of course. I still think there's room for a dedicated acoustic amp, and I'm not a professional player by any means. However, I'm dangerously close to getting totally swamped with that unquenchable "GAS" problem...the amp would be a definite asset over my Katana. But now that I have the Blackstar, it will have to suffice. And I seriously need to upgrade my PA before another amp.
I'm just a smalltime amateur but I love performing and the HBII-P is such a brilliant instrument for my purposes. I recently spoke with another musician at a local venue he played (we do tend to gravitate to each other neh?) and we spoke at length about his gear, my gear, wanted gear, all that stuff we just love to go on about. Of course that certainly didn't help my desires/wants haha. Age old problem: how much is too much, or how much is enough?

I'm just now exploring the depth of the capabilities of my HBII-P and constantly discovering more of what it's made of...and me of course. I still think there's room for a dedicated acoustic amp, and I'm not a professional player by any means. However, I'm dangerously close to getting totally swamped with that unquenchable "GAS" problem...the amp would be a definite asset over my Katana. But now that I have the Blackstar, it will have to suffice. And I seriously need to upgrade my PA before another amp.
I'm just a smalltime amateur but I love performing and the HBII-P is such a brilliant instrument for my purposes. I recently spoke with another musician at a local venue he played (we do tend to gravitate to each other neh?) and we spoke at length about his gear, my gear, wanted gear, all that stuff we just love to go on about. Of course that certainly didn't help my desires/wants haha. Age old problem: how much is too much, or how much is enough?
I didn't acquire a dedicated acoustic amp. I got a DI and went into the PA. Sounded very good.

I have several PRS electric guitars that have piezos: Spruce HB, P24, P245SH, SCHBII. The Spruce HB has the most acoustic-sounding piezo signal, IMHO. I'd love to get a piezo-equipped Archtop. Or JA-15 (there were a few, from what I gather). My JA-15 is piezo-less.

When I wanted to have the ability to have both electric tones and acoustic while gigging, often in the same song, this is what I'd do:

I typically used these piezo-equipped guitars going through the pedal board into the PA, using a Boss Line Switcher / Loop Selector so that one "loop" was through the usual electric guitar effects and an amp sim, while the other went through whatever acoustics treatments I wanted to use, such as a Fishman Aura. I typically then took the post-loop signal through a delay/reverb and a boost, then to the PA. One output from guitar (usually wireless), using the on-board switch as desired.

If I have room on the stage and the setlist doesn't involve swapping acoustic to electric mid-song, I might use just an electric guitar and an acoustic guitar to get a fuller acoustic sound, but might still use the same rig as above.

Due to the nature of the gigs we play and the music we make, I rarely get the opportunity to lug around a "real" electric guitar amp. But when I do, the above rig also works OK, turning off the amp sim, and tweaking the acoustic loop EQ to counteract what the guitar amp does to a "clean" tone as much as possible.

I think piezos offer a way to bring some pseudo-acoustic tones to the gig while minimizing equipment. For me/my band and the tiny stages we often played, it was very useful.

Piezos also offer a different "color palette", if you will, through an electric guitar amp with dirt etc, and blending that tone with the mag pups can offer something a bit different.

Nothing can beat the sound of a real acoustic mic'd up, but you can't beat the versatility of having a piezo in an electric guitar.
Especially if you want to rock some Rush which goes electric to acoustic mid song. If a piezo is good enough for Alex Lifeson its good enough for me.

My preference is for piezo equipped models, but I wouldn't kick a non piezo model out of bed either.
The double cabling is not a problem either, and it's much easier these days with cheap wireless units. Just plug and play!!

If you don't have one installed there are piezo bridges available on the market. I installed one in a clients bass for his new grass band.
Do you know if there is one that I could install on my McCarty 594 HBII? I am thinking no need for a switch on guitar as I can happily manage the two signals via footswitches. Also, can the aftermarket ones you are aware of be routed through a stereo cable rather than two cables (yes, I know current jack would need to be replaced if that is the case)? I have zero interest in drilling any holes into my HBII but would love to have the Piezo option ;~))

I didn't acquire a dedicated acoustic amp. I got a DI and went into the PA. Sounded very good.
I'm still experimenting with hookups and features on my POD. There is as yet a lot of undiscovered tones and sounds in front of me. But yeah, a DI would be an option to look into as well. But first the PA upgrade is in order. I'm delving into that first. Fortunately I have a friend that is a professional DJ and has a couple solid options for me. Very soon I will see that come to pass.

Top and back are quite thick. Not even in the ballpark of an acoustic.
Hollowbody's "impart" some characteristics of an acoustic, but still rely on the electronics to produce their amazing tones and sound projection, Acoustics rely on the resonance of the wood (thinner to be sure) vibrating and the internal reflection to and through their sound holes for their wonderous voice. sure, various electronic amplification devices (Baggs, Fishman etc) make them louder and alter their tonal character somewhat, but not at all like a hollowbody electric. Still undeniably an acoustic instrument. I know, basic guitar 101 that we all know and have known for most of our lives.
But at the risk of bringing up a beaten/dead horse subject, you can demonstrate this with that simple finger "tap" on a hollowbody guitar body compared to an acoustic and the resonance is plainly apparent without actually playing a note. My HBII is pretty remarkable unplugged at producing music, but I sure wouldn't do it on stage in front of a crowd. It's not what they are about at all. Great for quiet practice though, and I do it a lot.

Back