Pickups used with a 5 way selector?

wardog

What the gravy and cheese!!!!
So, I have a se 24 and I wanted to mod it to a custom 24 setup on wiring and pickups. I see on the Prs site only 2 pickups are 5 way selector optioned, but I assume I can use more than the two (59/09 and \m/) pickups. Will the Vb and HFS , Drgaon II or Tremonti pickps work?

Does you guitar have a push/pull now? As long as it has 4 wires (4 plus a ground) it should work.
The custom 24 wiring on the schematics page for 2012 does not use 4 wire pickups (white/green/red/black), so I assumed I could use anyone of the (white/black/red) pickups with the 5 way selector. Not to sure on the tremonti ones for this wiring scheme.

What does your SE have in it? If you can solder you have a few choices; 1 if you SE has 3 wire like the USA pickups then you should be able to do the mod just fine, just buy a 5 selector. 2 if it has only 2 wire you can take the pickups out and take the base off and between the 2 coils will be a small wire, cut that wire and splice another wire on it (so that the now 3 wires come together at the same spot) and now you have a 3 wire pickup that you can split and use like the core cu24, there picture threads showing you how to do this. 3 if your guitar is 4 wire, just wire the 2 and 3 wires together, that's the only difference between 3 and 4.

If you can't do this yourself then take it to a good tech or send it to PTC, but to answer your first question, yes it can be done.

Ok, so I think I may have explained this wrong.

The mod: Wire my custom se 24 (with 3 way selector) to a MD custom 24 (5 way selector)
Replace pickups to any prs ones that work with a 5 way selector other than 59/09 and \m/--The question I need answered.

What I have now, prs 5 way selector, pots and cap.
Solder like a pro--being doing it for awhile.

What I have done:
The mod is done with the stock SE pickups but of course they do not sound good in 2 and 4. Mostly due to the neck pickup not being in the correct phase. I just want to know all my prs pickup options for this mod.
Currently PRS uses 57/08 uncovered which are not obtainable.

Anyone got suggestions on prs pickups from experience or not , that I can look into.

Back