Pickup selector switch on HBII 594 not working

Jo-

f-hole lover
Hey everyone, my new to me HBII 594 is having problems with the pickup selector switch. When I switch to mid or bridge there is no sound but it seems to work fine on the neck position.

A couple of days ago the switch was a bit iffy but after fiddling/flicking it, it it started working fine now it's stopped again. It's ironic because I just sent my old HB Spruce to the PTC to fix a similar problem.

Obviously with the 594 HBII the pickup selector switch is up at the top and there is no access to it from behind or thru an f-hole.

Is this something I may be able to fix myself? As I am kinda loathing the option of having to mail another guitar for something that should be a minor fix. I purchased this from Reverb (used) exactly a month ago.

It’s possible that you could fish the switch through the pickup cavity, then try cleaning it to see if that helps. Might also touch up the solder joints while it’s out. Considering what it takes to get to it, a new switch couldn’t hurt, though!

You will definitely have to fish it out through one of the pickup cavities. If you go through that amount of work, I would replace it. I wouldn't want to clean it and get it working then fish it back up to where it belongs and get it mounted to have it stop working again within a month.

Well the seller has recommended that I take it in to my local guitar center and get it fixed there for probably $20. I don't think I would really trust a guitar center tech to fix it without doing some damage. Are guitar center techs supposed to be good?

Well the seller has recommended that I take it in to my local guitar center and get it fixed there for probably $20. I don't think I would really trust a guitar center tech to fix it without doing some damage. Are guitar center techs supposed to be good?
It is really a gamble with them IMHO. I have seen some that were good and they didn't stay there long. They moved on to where they could make more money. Then I have seen some that were not very good and they stayed there for a long time. I would let them know that they are touching an expensive guitar and will be held responsible for any damage done to it. I would also guess that it will cost more than $20 since they have to remove a pickup and fish the switch down then back up.

I would avoid Guitar Center. Too hit and miss, for me. Could just be the contacts being bent, too. May not even need the soldering iron.

I would certainly not feel comfortable bringing any mid-high price guitar to GC for repair. You *might* luck out and get someone competent, but much more likely not.
If it were me, I'd bring it to a PRS dealer. Yes, it might be more expensive but you want it done right, the first time. And as you mentioned since there's no easy access like on a solidbody, it makes it that much trickier

Last edited:

Yep, find a luthier that you trust and get it fixed right.

Well the seller has offered me to either return the guitar back to him for a refund or see about getting PRS to fix it and bear the cost myself.

Hmmmm decisions, decisions?
Anyone has any opinion?

Back