P22 pickup's ??

JeremyMitchellBand

Hi everyone, just wanted to get some clarification on the pickups on P22's.
When the P22 first came on the line they were listed with 53/10, but recent models I have been looking at now list the pickup's as simply just P22.

Are they different than 53/10's? or really just 53/10's re named?

Appreciate any info

Cheers
Jeremy

They can't get the wire for the 53/10s any more, so they're no longer being made. Great pickups, though.

They are likely 5708's. I think when they started calling them p-22 pickups, the 5310's were all gone by then? To me, they should either call them 5708's or make a different pickup for the p-22 and call those p-22 pickups too...you know, just to confuse everyone even more! :evil:

I think the PRS product page lists them as 57/08's, but I also heard someone say that they were 53/10's with different wire, since the fancy stuff is hard to get. Would be interested to know which it is also.

Hi everyone, just wanted to get some clarification on the pickups on P22's.
When the P22 first came on the line they were listed with 53/10, but recent models I have been looking at now list the pickup's as simply just P22.

Are they different than 53/10's? or really just 53/10's re named?

Appreciate any info

Cheers
Jeremy

From what I've read 2012 models are P22s (53/10s). Early in 2013 they switched to P22 (57/08s). I think they were always called P22s but some dealers were more specific.

Never played the 53/10's. One day I make this happen. I know a number of people were big, big fans of them.

Never played the 53/10's. One day I make this happen. I know a number of people were big, big fans of them.

I just nabbed two loose sets for future guitars. :evil: I ended up with an extra, covered, treble.

As already stated the originals in 2012 were 53/10's wired for the 5-way blade switch (so they were 4 conductor, I've grabbed a few sets and singles of the brushed covered 53/10's and they were mostly non-4 conductor wiring so they were likely yanked from one of the 3-way + volume push/pull setups that had 53/10's). They switched over to 57/08's in 2013 when they could no longer reliably source the wire (per Shawn @ PRS), so the current models regardless of what they're calling them (P22 TM or 57/08) come with 57/08's. The original models that were P22-labeled 53/10's are fantastic pickups, I have them in my 2012 P22 hardtail and that thing is clarity city! 53/10's are choice pickups, I'm pretty bummed they can't really get them out on a production model like they used to.

It seems like they still have some sets kicking around at PRS but they're reserved for special stuff like the P24 Experience LTD run they just did (or the P22 Trem I just received, since the original one had the 53/10 P22's in it they hooked me up, and I'm VERY thankful as that guitar sounds incredible too!). If you can find a 2012 P22, chances are pretty good you can get those original pickups in there, but anything beyond that has 57/08's that are wired for the P22 switching setup. Would have loved to grab one of the P24 trems that popped up at the Experience (the top on the one I wanted was beautiful!) as I bet they sound great too!

Back