Ox vs. Helix or ?

Modelers have gone a long way since it started. All the mid and high end ones will give you joy! Not just for you, but for the wife too for saving space. I am happy with my Headrush Gigboard and FRFR cab. The key is, FRFR cab when using modelers.

It's interesting because that's all I've ever used, but many swear by a modeler>power amp> real guitar cab as THE setup for using a modeler. It HAS TO sound more like a real amp because the guitar cab/speakers are so much a part of the sound of a traditional rig. I played the Archon for 30 minutes last night. Switched cabs every 10 minutes. Each of the three cabs sounds significantly different and while I left the tone controls on the amp static just for reference, each would have required some dailing in to even come close to the previous tone.

Cabs: Mesa Thiele with EM12, PRS 2x12 pine with V30/Warehouse ET90, Dr. Z Zbest with V30 and Warehouse ET65.

It's interesting because that's all I've ever used, but many swear by a modeler>power amp> real guitar cab as THE setup for using a modeler. It HAS TO sound more like a real amp because the guitar cab/speakers are so much a part of the sound of a traditional rig. I played the Archon for 30 minutes last night. Switched cabs every 10 minutes. Each of the three cabs sounds significantly different and while I left the tone controls on the amp static just for reference, each would have required some dailing in to even come close to the previous tone.

Cabs: Mesa Thiele with EM12, PRS 2x12 pine with V30/Warehouse ET90, Dr. Z Zbest with V30 and Warehouse ET65.
The Kemper Kabinet takes the Kemper to the next level. Especially the ability to dial in "speaker imprints". Meaning, you can make the Kemper Kone (speaker) sounds like different speakers. Want another CP8?

Powered kemper through a 4x12 sounds great with the right profile.
I sometimes run a helix floor through the fx of my 5153. I can use the amp sims into the fx return and they sound convincing. I mainly just use the helix for fx though.

Helix into the FX loop return of the Marshall stack.

Use the Helix for the amp models; disable the cab sims.

Cranked Marshall sound at bedroom or any level you want.
Plus, then you also can play with headphones, and Helix works great as a soundcard.

And bonus, when you have the house to yourself; turn off all the Helix amp and cab sims; use it as an FX pedalboard with the Marshall stack in 4CM and let it RIP!

Back