Ordered a Silver Sky (Vox AC15?)

Atticus808

Hello,

I ordered a Silver Sky and can’t wait to get it. But I’m also shopping for a new amp.

has anyone played one through a Vox AC15? What are your opinions on it? I really liked the Vox but i haven’t played a single coil through one before and I can’t go try one out right now.

or how about a blues jr?

thanks!

I haven't but SS + AC15 is probably going to sound amazing. Do you plan to use a clean boost? Klon? Xotic EP Boost?

It’s been a while since I’ve had a AC15 but I think it would be a proper match, sounded great with a Strat.

My Silver Sky sounds amazing through my Deluxe Reverb with a Creamback (beautiful cleans and light drive, excellent with pedals for more grit) and pretty stellar through my Marshall SV20 and a 2x12, though that one is quite loud when you hit it’s sweet spot. I haven’t tried the latest Blues Jr but in the past they just never worked for me personally, but they’re immensely popular for a reason. Another one worth considering is the Princeton 68 Custom Deluxe, I miss having that amp - I prefer it’s drive sound to the Deluxe Reverb, and you get there much quicker on the volume dial.

Oh - and congrats, I love my Silver Sky. Be sure to post some pics when it arrives!

Don't have a SS but do have a few strats and an AC15. It's a really bright amp but it's good in a band because it'll cut through a mix.

The few complaints I've had with that amp are: not enough low end, not loud enough for a few gigs I did, and the reverb tank died (but it happened to my Princeton too so I don't think it's amp specific.)

Thank you for all the responses.

I think I have watched most of the YouTube videos of strats going through an AC15, but of course hearing it in person would be different.

Would the sound be too bright and lose the Silver Sky sound or no?

Last edited:
Would the sound be too bright and lose the Silver Sky sound or no?
I don't think it would be overly bright, but the most transparent sounding amps to me are Fender types and their variants with 6v6 or 6L6 power tubes. A Deluxe Reverb reissue sounds great with a Strat, but if you want something better at lower volumes, I prefer a Princeton to a Blues Jr.

I don't think it would be overly bright, but the most transparent sounding amps to me are Fender types and their variants with 6v6 or 6L6 power tubes. A Deluxe Reverb reissue sounds great with a Strat, but if you want something better at lower volumes, I prefer a Princeton to a Blues Jr.

I bought a Princeton because I personally thought the vox was too bright for some guitars. I still have it and use it on occasion but it's not the Swiss army knife a fender is.

You won't lose the Strat sound but it won't have a big bottom end on it. And for that matter, you don't really get that until you're up to or past 50 watts. Then again, that gets loud pretty fast.

I had a Vox AC 15 TBX with the Alnico Blue...amazing cleans, 3D chime, great tremolo....but it lacked bass (is it "blizzard of nails" that describes the Vox sound). Great for the tele country (read Paisley) stuff I was into at the time.
Sold it for a big gain and went to Fenders....I like the 6L6 bottom end with strats and teles. Now I play a Mesa Express with my PRS guitars.

Hello,

I ordered a Silver Sky and can’t wait to get it. But I’m also shopping for a new amp.

has anyone played one through a Vox AC15? What are your opinions on it? I really liked the Vox but i haven’t played a single coil through one before and I can’t go try one out right now.

or how about a blues jr?

thanks!

Not sure if you’re just after cleans but you could also check out the Roland Jazz Chorus. They have different sizes now. Unless you wanna go tube only which I understand but it is an option.

Alright so I think I’ve changed my mind to either a 65’ Princeton Reverb Reissue or a 68’ Custom Princeton Reverb.

any take on which one?

As much as I want the Vox, I feel that i won’t like the brightness of it.

Alright so I think I’ve changed my mind to either a 65’ Princeton Reverb Reissue or a 68’ Custom Princeton Reverb.

any take on which one?

As much as I want the Vox, I feel that i won’t like the brightness of it.

I was briefly looking into those little Fenders. Princeton fans seem to hate on the 68 because it doesn't sound like a princeton, but it seemed to really nail the breakup Fender tone I was after at the time which wasn't particularly a silverface one. Just a "fendery" breakup and that did it.

I was turned off by the price. For less money there are a few amp builders here who will handwire you a small 1x10 combo. For a tiny bit more I can even have a lacquered tweed princeton clone made. For a mass produced 1x10 pcb amp I think they're pretty overpriced.

65 is made in the US, 68 is made in Mexico. I’ve had both, and thought they both sounded great. I preferred the 68, as mentioned it’s not really Princeton-y but very much Fender-y. Has a fuller, deeper overall sound that was excellent with single coils. 68 breaks up sooner, and it’s an excellent drive sound. The 68 does have one inherent problem though - tube rattle will rear its ugly head. Better tubes and routinely tightening every chassis screw helps.

For not much more, a 68 Custom Deluxe Reverb has a 12”, and two excellent and usable channels that you can jump for even more versatility.

I also have a 68 Princeton reissue. Much better with strats for that fender sound but I find it has too much bass at times. When I bought it, the 65 PRRI, and a 68 Deluxe were all the same price and I chose the the Princeton because it sounded the best.

The only issue I've ever had was the reverb tank died just like the one in the vox did.

If size/weight is not a concern, I'd recommend looking at an actual silver face twin, baseman, bandmaster, etc. I bought a twin cheaper than the Princeton reissue.

I have a vintage 1966 Princeton Reverb (65 is based on) and I find it perfect for home use, band practice, and playing out without a drummer. It’s not light, but not super heavy, and doesn’t rake up much space.

There’s Fender clean and everything else. Put your favorite pedal or pedalboard in front of it and you have the best of most worlds. If you play rock with a drummer, look elsewhere, but for most things, it’s hard to beat a Princeton Reverb or Deluxe Reverb.

tube rattle will rear its ugly head. Better tubes and routinely tightening every chassis screw helps.

FWIW I haven't played a combo in my life where tube rattle didn't occur... a lot of tubes, including old NOS makes that people froth over have mechanical rattles and there's not much you can do aside from trying to find individual valves that don't do it. EL84s seem to do it a lot, I have two 5ar4 recs that rattle like nails in a coke can new out of the box

Back