Off-Topic...Any Gardening Happening This Year?

Gardening is always a great topic! This year, I'm planning to revamp my garden with raised metal garden beds. They're fantastic for keeping things organized and manageable. Have you ever tried them?

Last edited:
I don't really have the space for a garden. I have been considering buying some larger pots and putting some peppers and herbs in them and putting them on my patio. I will need to figure out where the best place for them is to get the right amount of sun on them. As strong as the sun gets here, in the shade may be best...

I don't really have the space for a garden. I have been considering buying some larger pots and putting some peppers and herbs in them and putting them on my patio. I will need to figure out where the best place for them is to get the right amount of sun on them. As strong as the sun gets here, in the shade may be best...
We're in a townhouse and do a lot of pots on our deck. It gets direct sun from sun up to around 2:00. Always get good results with peppers and tomatoes, as well as a ton of herbs.

Hey, guys,

Thanks for bringing this thread back...

It's still the middle of winter locally, but before winter set in, my garden received a load of raked maple leaves, turned under, with a bag of earthworms purchased online. The little critters mulch whatever compost I'd toss in and turn under. Just need to remember, no bones or citrus. All else, veggie or fruit peelings, eggshells, clean paper waste (white napkins) can be added as compost.

About the 2nd or 3rd week of April, the ground has warmed up enough to till. That's when I begin banging in my vertical posts if the garden is vertical one that year. It might very well be again, with Sungold tomatoes and cucumbers, maybe some jalapeños in my ceramic pots.

My scallions didn't do well as I'd hoped, being thin and stringy the last 2 years. Something tells me the scallions needed to be thinned so they could grow wider bulb bases. Had moderate success with poblano peppers the previous year; may skip poblanos and stick with jalapeños as an experiment...Sungold or cherry tomatoes and cucumbers always seem to do well...may need to mix things up to avoid too much of one type crop without some form of rotation.

Your pre-winter garden prep sounds fantastic. The addition of maple leaves and earthworms is a solid plan for nutrient-rich soil. I totally get the struggle with scallions; thinning them might indeed give you those robust bases you're aiming for. Mixing things up with Sungold tomatoes and cucumbers sounds exciting – maybe consider adding a thyme lawn around for a touch of green charm?

Last edited:
Your pre-winter garden prep sounds fantastic. The addition of maple leaves and earthworms is a solid plan for nutrient-rich soil. I totally get the struggle with scallions; thinning them might indeed give you those robust bases you're aiming for.
Hmmm…first post in a guitar forum…

Back