Off-Topic...Any Gardening Happening This Year?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CandidPicker, Apr 24, 2019.

1. CandidPicker

CandidPicker Feed & Seed

Most of us love to maintain our lawns and gardens, some of us more than others.

This post is for those who dabble in either decorative or functional gardening, for improving your curb appeal, or for putting food on your table.

How many PRS fans also love to garden? Plz post your pics as the growing season wears on, and let us see how your harvest is doing...

(Will post my pics once veggie/herb planting has begun, here are my daffs blooming from bulbs planted autumn 2018...)

[​IMG]

EDIT: No need for showing us your cannabis. This is purely for folks who plant flowers or veggies, or maintain a nice lawn.

#1 CandidPicker, Apr 24, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
  2. merciful-evans

merciful-evans New Member

My first ever attempt to grow anything in my garden (since a kid anyway) was last year (and in my retirement!).

I planted onions & garlic last Sept. Not really a sunny enough position, but we'll see in another month or so! Not much to look at. The stick is the dividing line.

[​IMG]

Up until now, all my gardening has been destructive! Such as the root removal here (I have extracted about 2 dozen small trees & shrubs) over 20 months.

[​IMG]

3. bodia

bodia Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved

Once it warms up a bit, the Mrs and I will plant herbs, peppers, egg plant, tomatoes, cucumbers, peas and zucchini. Flowers and the like will also get planted. Nothing until after Mothers Day, though.

T-Rex, LSchefman and Alnus Rubra like this.
  4. CandidPicker

CandidPicker Feed & Seed

Truthfully, before any rebuilding or construction occurs, there always must be site preparation, which may involve clearing of materials or waste that would normally hinder construction. Home improvement and maintenance folks, like you and me, know this.

Briefly, there is always a "tearing down" before a "rebuilding." Think how often this occurs IRL, and realize that life imitates this in a large way.

LSchefman and merciful-evans like this.
  5. CandidPicker

CandidPicker Feed & Seed

Connecticut has received the go-ahead from local weather forecasters that and danger of frost has passed and it will be safe to plant as early as May 1st; May 10th, in higher elevations.

Will be setting out a vertical herb planter later this week, and planting Sungold tomato seedlings and pickling cucumbers from seed, for salads in the next 2 weeks.

I think the cukes will be put in large ceramic planters (my variety is the small 2' spread diameter, abundant, contained growth type), and the tomatoes will be given free domain of my garden frame. Will post pics as the garden takes shape...

LSchefman and bodia like this.
  6. John Beef

John Beef Opaque

The flowers around Phoenix have been gardening their very own sinus infection in my nose.

7. Tucson Thump

Tucson Thump Mint Heavy Relic

Just finished rebuilding the two standing planter boxes. Basil and other herbs in one and a hummingbird wildflower mix in the other. Tomatoes are strictly container grown so we can move them around.

8. markd21

markd21 New Member

I rent my house, but I am talking to the Landlord about planting a bee/butterfly friendly garden. I am not a tree-hugger, but the bee issue and the rate at which they are cutting down trees in my area makes me sad.

Boogie, T-Rex, LSchefman and 4 others like this.
  9. Alnus Rubra

Alnus Rubra Loving nature’s wonders

You mean something like this. This is my upstairs bathroom, courtesy of my own DIY exploits!

A lot of destruction before the rebuilding occurred!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/B12cKz9zrvDspyWg7

10. sergiodeblanc

sergiodeblanc Get in, loser, we’re going shopping.

I do basil and chives but other than that I’m done, I just don’t wanna have any yard work to do anymore.

My wife and MIL usually spend a couple hundred bucks on supplies to murder (they call it gardening) plants each year, but I told them they’re on their own from now on.

11. bodia

bodia Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved

Dude, that's gotta be cutting into your playing time!

LSchefman likes this.
  12. toothace

toothace We've got, you know, armadillos in our trousers.

Planning to cut down the "wall" of 35 year-old arbor vitae trees and plant flowering bushes and vines to be a "fence" from the neighbors

LSchefman, bodia and sergiodeblanc like this.
  13. Alnus Rubra

Alnus Rubra Loving nature’s wonders

Yeah it was a week of 10-12 hour days, of almost forgot how to play!

Tucson Thump, LSchefman and bodia like this.
  14. Bill SAS 513

Bill SAS 513 Just another old guy in a T-shirt

Heck yes...my mowing is my "other" relaxation ( besides music)!
    Nothing fancy, just a yard, but...now we gotta start talking about beers, as I firmly believe a cold bottle of suds is reward for cutting grass!! But that's another thread altogether...

BMiller, LSchefman, bodia and 2 others like this.
  15. Lister

Lister Playing guitar badly since the 70's...

I used to put out a fairly large garden, but I was going through a rough patch personally the last couple of years so my gardening consisted of just a couple of containers with tomatoes. This year I'm planning on easing back into it with a salsa garden- several varieties of tomatoes, onions and peppers.

16. sergiodeblanc

sergiodeblanc Get in, loser, we’re going shopping.

I can’t get into that zen space mowing, even while drinking.

For awhile I was renting houses with like, a minimum of an acre of grass to mow and then had to do my dad’s house when he was in Florida.... I would sit there on the riding mower just brewing and thinking to myself how much I hate lawn work and wanted to pull a Mr. T and cement my whole yard!

Now I have a small patch I have to weed whack every few weeks and have even considered Round Up-ing it to oblivion.

17. jxe

jxe babe en der wood

my yard is postage stamp but about to buy a sad little ranch somewhere. i really want to do some date and fig trees.

T-Rex, LSchefman, bodia and 1 other person like this.
  18. Black Plaid

Black Plaid just another Alan

It's all about the domestic robots, I have this robot lawn mower, and it's glorious. Sure I have to edge every so often, but the thing is silent and runs every day. The lawn always looks as well as it can for having 2 dogs.

19. jxe

jxe babe en der wood

what brand robot and what does the robot do with a 2 dog poo?

LSchefman and Black Plaid like this.
  20. Bill SAS 513

Bill SAS 513 Just another old guy in a T-shirt

For me, I guess its kinda an ownership thing...not obnoxious...just "Aaaaaah, that's my yard!" Especially after mowing...me and the Mrs. Sit out front and play car color bingo...yup...definitely getting old...lolol

Boogie, LSchefman and bodia like this.