Off-Topic...Any Gardening Happening This Year?

I perhaps should not have used Napalm in such a flippant manner!

Any offence caused is apologised for.

No worries. The humor was well-intended, though I've seen first-hand the effects of Agent Orange on a neighbor. He's a cantankerous old bird who isn't happy with his lot in life...all I can do is acknowledge his circumstances and try to help him feel better...

Acer platanoides is the growth in question...Norway maple...considered an invasive species in New York state, Massachusetts and New Hampshire. N. maple has several natural enemies including some species of moths and fungus...neither of which I can safely introduce into the environment and control myself. The reason for the Ortho.

Not much to lose. I first used regular white vinegar with water and dish soap and was surprised at how well it worked on dandelions.
Kicking it up to cleaning vinegar seals the deal, just don't forget the dish soap. That's what helps it stick to a broadleaf.

Thanks, Dave. I used the same on some ground cover I was trying to do away with before turning it under. Works great, just gotta apply after each rain because it will wash away when it rains.

Someone also suggested adding epsom salts and dissolving that in the vinegar/soap. Supposed to improve effectiveness.

Thanks, Dave. I used the same on some ground cover I was trying to do away with before turning it under. Works great, just gotta apply after each rain because it will wash away when it rains.

Someone also suggested adding epsom salts and dissolving that in the vinegar/soap. Supposed to improve effectiveness.
I shall look up the epsom salts addition.
Cheers,

The soap and vinegar do work pretty well.

The vinegar kills the leaves and the soap helps keep it there.

You may need to do a couple of rounds as new leaves will pop up, but eventually the plant will run out of juice and give up the ghost.

I could have the name wrong, but we have a invasive vine that looks like grape leaves (but I've never seen any actual fruit on it) with a really woody root system. It's hard to kill. Because we live very near the Chesapeake Bay and I'm trying to prevent runoff, I tread very lightly when it comes to using weed killers or chemical fertilizers.
For us, it's mint. One year the Mrs planted some so we could have it for Mint Juleps at Derby time. Now, it overtakes everything! PITA, for sure.

I shall look up the epsom salts addition.
Cheers,

Actually, Epsom Salts will help develop a good root bed. Greener and bushier plants, and better flower blooms. My wife always tosses a handful in the hole before the tomato plants go in the ground.

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ga...rove flower,important to healthy plant growth.

For us, it's mint. One year the Mrs planted some so we could have it for Mint Juleps at Derby time. Now, it overtakes everything! PITA, for sure.

That's like bamboo. I'd love to have some growing in a large pot, but I fear it will find it's way out and eventually take over everything.

Mint will grow most anywhere it can take root...when I first settled into my apartment, it was "lilies of the valley" ground cover. Beautiful tiny globed flower, smelled sweet, but was everywhere in my patio area prior to digging it up and putting down fabric weed barrier under a raised garden bed. Now, I've got regular lilies and irises amidst other weeds that border the garden. Good for attracting pollinators.

Hoping to find some lilies of the valley or bulbs to replace my ND neighbor's dead vegetation so his patio doesn't become a sandbox for local cats. (which could likely happen). Promised him end of this year I'd put something in so next spring his patio will look nicer.

I’m a much better gardener than guitar player. I just really enjoy every phase of it, even the drudge work like mixing up my own soil and weeding. Most people abhor the mere thought of manually pulling weeds but there’s really no substitute, and if you truly enjoy gardening it’s a labor of love. I also prefer growing from seed when possible because it’s a lot more interesting than buying ready made plants.

I like the extra planning and luck it takes to get everything thru weather and other hazards. I feel a much greater sense of accomplishment when it all turns out the way I envisioned. I used to grow food for the table, now I grow for beauty and bringing in wildlife and beneficial insects. I get way more enjoyment out of it and veggies are way cheaper than flowers at the farmer’s market and stores.

There is a sort of zen thing happening with weeding. I’ve used it since I was a kid stuck weeding my parent’s garden while the kids next door were out playing. While I’m pulling the physical weeds my mind is in a kind of meditation, weeding out thoughts that become invasive or don’t serve a cultivated mind. I also get fresh air and exercise while being surrounded by nature I had a hand in helping to create. We all spend too much time in front of a screen rebreathing stale air these days :)

I’ve been pruning and working in my lime tree to get more fruit. I may graft a lemon branch on it next year. I also planted a shade fern underneath the dryer vent in out Moai Rock garden

I’m a much better gardener than guitar player. I just really enjoy every phase of it, even the drudge work like mixing up my own soil and weeding. Most people abhor the mere thought of manually pulling weeds but there’s really no substitute, and if you truly enjoy gardening it’s a labor of love. I also prefer growing from seed when possible because it’s a lot more interesting than buying ready made plants.

I like the extra planning and luck it takes to get everything thru weather and other hazards. I feel a much greater sense of accomplishment when it all turns out the way I envisioned. I used to grow food for the table, now I grow for beauty and bringing in wildlife and beneficial insects. I get way more enjoyment out of it and veggies are way cheaper than flowers at the farmer’s market and stores.

There is a sort of zen thing happening with weeding. I’ve used it since I was a kid stuck weeding my parent’s garden while the kids next door were out playing. While I’m pulling the physical weeds my mind is in a kind of meditation, weeding out thoughts that become invasive or don’t serve a cultivated mind. I also get fresh air and exercise while being surrounded by nature I had a hand in helping to create. We all spend too much time in front of a screen rebreathing stale air these days :)
Yeah, I agree with all of this. Mostly the whole zen thing. Peaceful times.

There is a sort of zen thing happening with weeding. I’ve used it since I was a kid stuck weeding my parent’s garden while the kids next door were out playing. While I’m pulling the physical weeds my mind is in a kind of meditation, weeding out thoughts that become invasive or don’t serve a cultivated mind. I also get fresh air and exercise while being surrounded by nature I had a hand in helping to create. We all spend too much time in front of a screen rebreathing stale air these days.

I think I owe it to my Dad who instilled in me the love of growing a garden. And yes, gardening isn't always easy, but if conditions are good, you can almost always count on a good crop. Yet, I've not mastered the ability to grow sturdy salad tomato seedlings from seed yet (almost always prefer transplanting already established seedlings). Other vegetables like green beans or baby lettuce greens, squash and zucchini I've had good success with. Other things like bell or chili peppers, corn, sandwich tomatoes, root veggies, I've not done well with. Mebbe it's the soil or light. Dunno. Just gotta remember to keep feeding the soil with veggie peelings that the earthworms can turn into rich soil. May let the garden grow fallow a year or two off into the future and sow some type of barley or wheat grass to turn under. Not sure what the future will hold, except it makes good sense to try some type of grain.

While social distancing is still preventing me from getting to the gym for the next week or so, gardening and walking to the park and back for 40 minutes has been my exercise and fresh air choice. This spring was somewhat of a bust regards Covid, but with encouragement and overcoming the usual fears, doing my job and exercising regularly has been easier since this past mid-May and the onset of gardening this year.

Yeah, I agree with all of this. Mostly the whole zen thing. Peaceful times.

+1 :)

06/30/20 - Garden this year. Tomatoes bearing some fruit; not ready for picking yet. Basil doing well. Baby Greens, have harvested twice previously, still keeps coming back and putting out new growth.

2bJxoFJ.jpg

jYxZDD8.jpg

Back