NGW (New Guitar Week?)...re-titled!

BradM

Ok, I'm figuring why not post here? :O If anyone has owned this PRS, my chances of finding it are better here, right?

So, I just swapped for a 2004 Singlecut Trem, 10-top, green quilted. SN is 87197. The eagle tag was not included. :( If anyone happens to find that in a drawer, vault, in a sunken treasure chest, please drop me a line. Or, email me at [email protected]. I've love to find it and complete this. If not? It's still a very cool singlecut!!! But, I do really like chasing a story. Geez, even if you had this one at one point, message me or comment about it's journey. I'll pool any info together and pop that into the case compartment. :)

EDIT: No success on the tag hunt, so I've decided to changeup the post to NGW! Here's the original pics, plus the end result after adding black trim, a nickel covered #6 and changed up the bridge to a TV Jones PowerTron. LOVE the PowerTron in that position. I only did coil split on the #6 pickup. When I split that, it blends in really well with the PowerTron.

IMG-2984.jpg

After....
IMG-3063.jpg

Next to her big brother (2009 Sunburst 22)
IMG-3061.jpg

Sorry for the sideways pics (camera position?...it's vertical on the computer). All the bling courtesy of PRS Store except the PowerTron and it's mount ring. Speaking of...I did have to take a small grind stone in a drill press to the PowerTron mounting clip edges. Needed to shave a 1/16" or so off to get the PowerTron to slide down into the cavity. The tone, best I can describe it, is a luscious mid-upper punch when dialing it to 10. Wish I would have tried this long ago. Reason I did it? I have everything I need in a humbucker with the Sunburst's 57/08's...I wanted a bit of surf attitude and then some in the Singlecut. :)

Cheers!
Brad

Last edited:
Ok, I'm figuring why not post here? :O If anyone has owned this PRS, my chances of finding it are better here, right?

So, I just swapped for a 2004 Singlecut Trem, 10-top, green quilted. SN is 87197. The eagle tag was not included. :( If anyone happens to find that in a drawer, vault, in a sunken treasure chest, please drop me a line. Or, email me at [email protected]. I've love to find it and complete this. If not? It's still a very cool singlecut!!! But, I do really like chasing a story. Geez, even if you had this one at one point, message me or comment about it's journey. I'll pool any info together and pop that into the case compartment. :)

Cheers!
Brad

Love and Honor!

By the way, interesting in that I got minimal info after emailing PTC. The advice was to pull the bridge pickup and look for goodies! Well, interesting that this one had 'NO MOD' (I'll take that to mean No Modcat). In the neck cavity was 'J' and 'X' and the date was stamped...May 7 2004. Curious what the stickers (L/18 and R/22) are referring to...some measured offset? I can likely assume the 'Q 10' is Quilted 10-Top, which it is. SX7 (or SX1?) has me curious. As well as the left & right cavity 'signatures'. Then...there's the whole other tag underneath that top one...wish I could decipher that! If anyone might shed some light on markings they know about that would be MUCH appreciated!

Also, does anyone know if the SCT's were included in the 'Singlecut' production stoppage during litigation? I can't seem to find a definitive answer. I would think not given the thinner body and trem...which totally offsets any LP resemblance...? Thanks!

EDIT: Well, now that I just read the entire MODCAT thread, could 'NO MOD' represent an employee guitar? Or, one that slid out the door during litigation? So far...this one is a mystery! Anyone else have 'NO MOD' inside their bridge cavity?

IMG-3047.jpg

Last edited:
could 'NO MOD' represent an employee guitar? Or, one that slid out the door during litigation?

Funny how our imagination can get the best of us.

Last edited:
'NO MOD' (I'll take that to mean No Modcat)

This
Now, that actually raises more questions. :) As in...Since the pickup cavities were open and the sticker & notes obviously there and active during production...could not someone have created a MODCAT for it? And, what would be the reasons it wasn't? Maybe an experimental day in the shop? Point being, there was ample opportunity to create one...but, it never happened. I suppose, at best, it comes back to there being something impromptu about this one's creation. I'm one that's always curious about the history of an instrument. Eh, at least as much as I can glean anyways. :)

I guess the intriguing part of this one's history relates to it being..."A 10 top...with plain pearl dot markers"...in 2004, I expect that to be maybe a custom order? Oh well, who knows. Still LOVE the guitar!

Ok...so, I emailed the PTC and got a reply back regarding the bridge cavity sticker showing 'NO MOD'. The response was this...

"It's difficult to decipher the information in the pickups cavity. I've spoken with several colleagues who all confer we are not able to provide any insight and we do not have any further information about this serial number."

Well, ok, not knowing does give the guitar a bit of mystery about it which, in and of itself, is cool, too! However, if there happens to be a longtime employee (or previous employee) lurking or posting up in here...share anything you might know regarding an entry of NO MOD. One not being there...I understand. The daily routine there I'm sure is hectic and fast-paced. So, just on a whim...if others have a 'NO MOD' version, let me know. Thanks!

Well, and one more thing I just noticed on the bridge pickup cavity shot. Not only does this have a second large sticker on top another (and a little searching showed this as common), but if you zoom in it seems as if a new serial number was laid on top the original one since both stickers are topmost. ? To me...re-serializing would mean a guitar got repurposed. I.E. Maybe an order was changed up (whether the finish changed, etc.). This would also make sense as to why an earlier MODCAT may have been pulled and now none exists. Just maybe...also a reason I have no eagle tag for it...? Oh well. At least some of the digging raises plausible solutions. Would love to see the original owner respond to this post. That's always the hope anyways. :)

Back