NGD Zach Myers SE just arrived

Ivancy

NGD! This Zach Myers SE just arrived.

Ordered it for my birthday to have a complementary guitar to my USA 2005 20th anniversary McCarty equiped with \m/ bridge pickup. Never had a semi hollow before and I’m impressed at its resonance when playing unplugged.

It came well setup, action a tad too high but anyway I’ll replace the strings with 10-52 as my other guitars and will have to set up myself to my liking. Other than that I’m really impressed overall. The perfect fret work, the amazing wide fat neck finish, etc is on pair to my USA PRS.

As a negative I’d say that the veneer top looks a bit fake when looked in close vs the real top 10 maple cap from my McCarty, but we are comparing two very different priced guitars. On the other hand, the back looks like a 2 piece mahoany when probably it's 3 pieces.

I’m so happy and really looking forward to come back home from holidays so I can plug it into my rehearsal equipment and play it loud with my band. My plan is to use it for the cleans and softer rock songs while the McCarty will keep taking care of the heavier ones, but let’s see.

As mods I might swap the pick rings to cream ones and maybe at some point try the original McCarty pickups on it as I have them sitting around. I see some people talking bad about the Kluson style tunners feeling to stiff but honestly I don't find them very different from the McCarty ones and after some playing it keeps in tune perfectly, don't see myself replacing them anytime soon. What I'll search to replace soon is the truss rod cover, I don't like to have somebody's else name on my guitar, despite liking Shinedown myself.

Last edited:
Excellent natural back on that example. And I hear you about the veneer looking a tad too fake. But if you’re a few feet away nobody can tell. Only up close. But saving thousands compared to siblings is a thing of beauty!

NGD! This Zach Myers SE just arrived.

Ordered it for my birthday to have a complementary guitar to my USA 2005 20th anniversary McCarty equiped with \m/ bridge pickup. Never had a semi hollow before and I’m impressed at its resonance when playing unplugged.

It came well setup, action a tad too high but anyway I’ll replace the strings with 10-52 as my other guitars and will have to set up myself to my liking. Other than that I’m really impressed overall. The perfect fret work, the amazing wide fat neck finish, etc is on pair to my USA PRS.

As a negative I’d say that the veneer top looks a bit fake when looked in close vs the real top 10 maple cap from my McCarty, but we are comparing two very different priced guitars. On the other hand, the back looks like a 2 piece mahoany when probably it's 3 pieces.

I’m so happy and really looking forward to come back home from holidays so I can plug it into my rehearsal equipment and play it loud with my band. My plan is to use it for the cleans and softer rock songs while the McCarty will keep taking care of the heavier ones, but let’s see.

As mods I might swap the pick rings to cream ones and maybe at some point try the original McCarty pickups on it as I have them sitting around. I see some people talking bad about the Kluson style tunners feeling to stiff but honestly I don't find them very different from the McCarty ones and after some playing it keeps in tune perfectly, don't see myself replacing them anytime soon. What I'll search to replace soon is the truss rod cover, I don't like to have somebody's else name on my guitar, despite liking Shinedown myself.

The tuners are a weak spot, imho. Those on my former SE Paul's and SE Zach slipped a lot...D and G mostly. I should have left my ZM stock as those pickups do have a great growl to them...but foolish me, had to mod it with Seth Lovers and new pots...tamed it too much. Enjoy your new axe !

The tuners are a weak spot, imho. Those on my former SE Paul's and SE Zach slipped a lot...D and G mostly. I should have left my ZM stock as those pickups do have a great growl to them...but foolish me, had to mod it with Seth Lovers and new pots...tamed it too much. Enjoy your new axe !
That's the only change I've made to my Zach - Kluson lockers.

Well, I also added a Screaming Chicken (Firebird) truss rod cover...

As far as the veneers, mine is the quilted Charcoal Cherry Fade run from @Brian G and it hangs next to my quilted Wood Library like a proud lil brother.

Tightening the tensioning screws didn’t work?

Tightening the tensioning screws didn’t work?
My experience with this ping tuners: they worked but I kept breaking the high E string when tuning up to pitch. When it sliced me I told myself I was done and upgraded. Kluson locking and the PRS vintage locking tuners work great. Heck even the non locking vintage style from the S2 McCarty is superb. I would have been ok those too.

My experience with this ping tuners: they worked but I kept breaking the high E string when tuning up to pitch. When it sliced me I told myself I was done and upgraded. Kluson locking and the PRS vintage locking tuners work great. Heck even the non locking vintage style from the S2 McCarty is superb. I would have been ok those too.
Wow. Sounds like you had a sharp corner on the peg. I’ve never been cut by a string, except when I used to bend the ends straight up and raked across it once.

I just got mine, beautiful guitar, sounds amazing and I can go from clean jazz to rock, blues, very versatile but I agree, the tuners are surprisingly a weak spot, far from being as good as the ones in my Starla. Anyway, I ordered a set of Graph Tech Ratio tuners.

One thing I forgot to note: the Kluson tuners mean I can't hang the ZM on my StringSwing 5-spot hanger b/c it hits the thumbwheel in a way that can cause the high-E to loosen. Gotta keep that guitar on a Hercules...

Back