NGD x2

CardMeHD

Well, it's finally here. My first (and second) PRS.

First, the pictures.

uYnsLwT.jpg

aK9NfN6.jpg

MoehdAM.jpg

1X8z8Hw.jpg

A01MjtU.jpg

8F3CKuH.jpg

dDsNHDV.jpg

hFEheHQ.jpg

You can see the full gallery here: http://imgur.com/a/dtEta

Now, the backstory. I've had tremendous GAS lately, and even bought a couple of guitars within the last 6 months, but they were lower end guitars (mainly Epiphone and LTD). I was in search of a new "flagship" guitar, and I've always admired PRS. I saw the 30th Anniversary models and decided that it was time to pull the trigger, so I went searching for the perfect one, and the only thing I knew was that I wanted a Pattern Thin Custom 24. I almost pulled the trigger on a Black Gold Burst with a Korina back and neck, when I stumbled across this non-30th Anniversary model at Music Store Live. It wasn't what I was expecting, but the beautiful quilted Charcoal Blue Burst finish immediately caught my eye. Then, there were the other unique features - a 57/08 and 59/09 pickup combination, a Wood Library Korina neck and a Mun Ebony fretboard (it looks light enough to be rosewood, but it's definitely got the feel of ebony). I got into contact with Max at MSL and he got me set up with a great deal, so I had to take it. In fact, the deal was so great, and I saved so much money compared to what I was initially planning on spending, that when I saw a Sapphire PRS SE 7 on clearance at Prymaxe, I went ahead an pulled the trigger on it, too.

I love both of them. The PRS feels amazing and plays incredibly well. The neck feels great, and the ebony fretboard is smooth as butter. I was initially concerned about the pickup selection, because I tend to play a lot of heavy stuff (though not exclusively), and it seemed like the 85/15 combo was going to perfect. But I have to say that the 57/08 is tremendous, and has really nice clarity. It's not as high output as some of my other guitars, but it's not far behind, nothing a little boost from my Tubescreamer or DOD 250 can't fix. I need to spend a little more time playing, especially with the 59/09, but so far everything is great.

The SE is taking some getting used to as it's my first 7 string (though I have a 5 string bass), but the neck feels and plays really well and the pickups sound pretty good, too. Not as clear as the PRS proper, but that's to be expected. The only issue is that the 3-way toggle switch has some sort of issue, and the neck position cuts out. I opened up the control cavity and couldn't find any wiring issues, so I think it's a PCB or switch issue, because I can get the neck pickup to cut in and out by flexing the switch side to side. I'll probably just order a new switch to replace it. Can anybody make any recommendations? It seems like you can't order a straight up replacement from PRS (they only have the toggle style 3 way switch for the SE). Would the PRS 3 way blade switch work? Or can I just get an aftermarket replacement (I'm assuming it's an Alpha part like the pots)?

Happy happy new new guitar guitar day day! The quilt on the 24 looks stunning! Nice find!

The SE is taking some getting used to as it's my first 7 string (though I have a 5 string bass), but the neck feels and plays really well and the pickups sound pretty good, too. Not as clear as the PRS proper, but that's to be expected. The only issue is that the 3-way toggle switch has some sort of issue, and the neck position cuts out. I opened up the control cavity and couldn't find any wiring issues, so I think it's a PCB or switch issue, because I can get the neck pickup to cut in and out by flexing the switch side to side. I'll probably just order a new switch to replace it. Can anybody make any recommendations? It seems like you can't order a straight up replacement from PRS (they only have the toggle style 3 way switch for the SE). Would the PRS 3 way blade switch work? Or can I just get an aftermarket replacement (I'm assuming it's an Alpha part like the pots)?

Congrats. Very nice looking pair.

I can't remember if I saw it on here or TGP recently but people we're talking about SE switch issues and a simple fix. I believe. it had to do with spreading some little metal pins on the stock SE switch that are prone to bending and causing the switch to fail.

Thread is on here and is titled "and while I have my guitar on the bench". Check it out, hopefully your problem is also just a simple fix.

Well, enjoy and Happy New Year Sir !

Last edited:
Happy happy new new guitar guitar day day! The quilt on the 24 looks stunning! Nice find!
Thanks. MSL had it listed as a "downgraded private stock," saying that it was a piece of private stock wood that wasn't used, so they released it to be used on Wood Library models. When I chatted with Max at MSL, he indicated that it was "better than a 10 top," but it wasn't technically considered a 10 top. I loved it so much, I figured WTH, why not. But low and behold, I receive the guitar, and there's a little 10 on the top of the headstock. I haven't been able to find much about "downgraded private stock," but it's beautiful and there's a little 10 there, so I'm not worried about it. And besides, I paid less than most 10 top Wood Library models I could find.

Congrats. Very nice looking pair.

I can't remember if I saw it on here or TGP recently but people we're talking about SE switch issues and a simple fix. I believe. it had to do with spreading some little metal pins on the stock SE switch that are prone to bending and causing the switch to fail.

Thread is on here and is titled "and while I have my guitar on the bench". Check it out, hopefully your problem is also just a simple fix.

Well, enjoy and Happy New Year Sir !
Thanks for the tip. Happy New Year to you as well.

That PRS is GORGEOUS! The head stock and fretboard are themselves jaw-dropping and that Charcoal Blue Burst is out of this world.

I recently picked up a used SE 7 and noticed a similar problem regarding pickup switching. The problem seemed to correct itself after I moved the switch back and forth numerous times. I figured that it could be some dust/dirt causing problems, honestly I have no idea if dust was the culprit or not, but so far so good.

Congrats on the double hitter the top is off the charts...

Great guys at MSL I already bought 4 PRSi from them 2 for me a CU22 with old school birds a 513 AP (avatar)
and one Santana SE ( for my nephew) and a SE 7 (purple) for a friend with zero issues

Enjoy rocking

Hey you got a "right on" from Serg on a double-blue NGD...that's an accomplishment ;)

I have heard many folks feel the combo of a 57/08 neck and 59/09 bridge is the perfect one. Congrats - those ate beautiful, love the color and figure of the CU24 especially. Play the snot outta them!

Wow man! Your guitar looks so much like my custom 24. The burst on that guitar looks like the fading transition that my guitar went through. My 24 was a royal blue, just like the out side of your burst and now it looks like the middle of your guitar. And the wood top looks so similar.
Wow that's blowing my mind. I actually had pickup covers on the pickups too.
Great looking guitar, congratulations man!

Back