NGD: The Balrog’s Mane

Dang that is bloody awesome.

It’s a shame Alan is going to miss it.

Come back Alan!

Thanks for the new pics, (sound of my jaw hitting the desk)!

Now this and 11tops crotch walnut are Holy Grail guitars, cosmetically for me. I’d really love to crank them both through my little Mesa, I can only imagine the tones!

Vv0fmO8.jpg
KENcV3N.jpg
zeTs9bI.jpg
AdD5jw6.jpg
fU1HP2p.jpg
5g1NRTd.jpg
fDKBJxn.jpg
S2oLDSZ.jpg

McCarty Trem in Frostbite Glow.

Reminds me of dark fire - hence the Lord of the Ring’s reference!

I want to have its babies.

On closer inspection I realise PRS were kind enough to throw me an extra bird! Two eyes, fairly defined beak, two little dainty feet at the bottom. Ghost owl, looking right at ya.
MarECHi.jpg

Good lord almighty!! What an amazing instrument!!! When I first saw pictures of this guitar some months ago, I initially thought it was some crazy buckeye due to the stain. But either way, that’s an incredible top.

Thanks all! When I chanced upon the guitar online, my first thought was “uh-oh I’m in trouble”.....

When I was drafting the email to the dealer it was “oh sh*t, not again”...

As is customary to say, I won’t be buying any more guitars!

Last edited:
Thanks all! When I chanced upon the guitar online, my first thought was “uh-oh I’m in trouble”.....

I can relate to this!

I used to say that out loud. Now it’s being enforced! :eek: They really are listening! (Looks around room bug-eyed once again)

I love McCarty Trems and that certainly is an epic specimen - congrats! I’ve yet to seen a bad Frostbite Glow top.

Just remember Gandalf killed the Balrog in the end - after this battle he became Gandalf the White (from Grey)! :D:rolleyes:

Gandalf in his "grey" incarnation was killed as well, but, being one of the Maiar was sent back to Middle-Earth (reincarnated in some sense) by the Valar to fulfill/complete his mission. This gets rather deep into the metaphysics of Tolkien's creation, particularly given that the balrogs (and Sauron) were themselves of the same "order" of being - one of the Maiar - as the five Wizards.

Ok, I'll stop before I get too wound up! :D

Back