NGD: The Balrog’s Mane

Gandalf in his "grey" incarnation was killed as well, but, being one of the Maiar was sent back to Middle-Earth (reincarnated in some sense) by the Valar to fulfill/complete his mission. This gets rather deep into the metaphysics of Tolkien's creation, particularly given that the balrogs (and Sauron) were themselves of the same "order" of being - one of the Maiar - as the five Wizards.

Ok, I'll stop before I get too wound up! :D
I think it was Mordoch the Enemy that created the Balrogs if I remember the Silmarillion. Does that give me Middle Earth cred again? ;)

I think it was Mordoch the Enemy that created the Balrogs if I remember the Silmarillion. Does that give me Middle Earth cred again? ;)

Well, only if we credit you for a misspelling of Morgoth or Melkor. ;) And, to be technical, Eru created them: Melkor (named 'Morgoth' subsequently by the Elves) seduced/corrupted them and as their spirits "fell," so too did their material forms. o_O I'll give you a cookie, though, for having read the Silmarillion! :p

I should probably confess here that I'm one of those geeks that has read - several times - the entire "History of Middle-Earth" series edited by Christopher Tolkien.

Btw, there was a character named Kordoch (aka "Brill") in the Belgariad series by David Eddings - he was a so-called Dagashi assassin. Morlocks were a creation of H.G. Wells. In any case, it would be easy enough to conflate those names.

Well, only if we credit you for a misspelling of Morgoth or Melkor. ;) And, to be technical, Eru created them: Melkor (named 'Morgoth' subsequently by the Elves) seduced/corrupted them and as their spirits "fell," so too did their material forms. o_O I'll give you a cookie, though, for having read the Silmarillion! :p

I should probably confess here that I'm one of those geeks that has read - several times - the entire "History of Middle-Earth" series edited by Christopher Tolkien.

Btw, there was a character named Kordoch (aka "Brill") in the Belgariad series by David Eddings - he was a so-called Dagashi assassin. Morlocks were a creation of H.G. Wells. In any case, it would be easy enough to conflate those names.
OMG you’re a real Tolkien Scholar! I’ve always found LOTR and Silmarillion to be fascinating because they seem to be lessons or advice disguised as stories. Like how the egoistic power hungry (Morgoth et al) ultimately suffer, and how the humble and contented (Hobbits, Galadriel post-test) are the real winners.

When I look closely I can see Santana album covers in that top.

tVkoUcb.jpg

Ha! That’s what I get for trying to remember a book I read only once back in....1987! :D

EDIT - never read the follow up book about the history in greater detail by his son Christopher - is that the basis for the upcoming Amazon series?

Back