NGD - Special SH

Headset

Guitarrista
IMG-2285.jpg

IMG-2286.jpg

I placed an order for a ten top special semi-hollow 14 months ago. A 3 month wait turned into a longer trek. I had my heart set on getting the guitar in McCarty Tobacco Sunburst (not a color you can get on this guitar now). Well as is my experience with PRS the guitar was worth the wait!

The guitar came with the new tuners even though my order was placed before they were implemented. I’m not sure if that’s how it’ll be for everyone but that’s how it worked out in this instance.

The guitar sounds amazing and every pickup position (12!) sounds distinct from each other. The clean tones are amazing and so are the breakup and overdriven ones. I have a Fiore and the Special is not prone to feedback at high gain the way that guitar is despite being semi-hollow.

I was concerned about adapting my right hand to the 3 pickup combo but it never affected me. My right hand tends to float in two areas on guitars like my silver sky and fiore. Despite the special having two humbuckers and a NF the spaces my hand gravitates to are still free. In a weird way I find the NF helps guide my picking hand better than a SSS or HSS guitar.

What actually took a minute to get used to is the Pattern neck carve. I found it comfortable for some things but irksome for others the first couple of minutes. After an hour or so I’m comfortable with it.

The guitar sounds amazing, looks beautiful and definitely fills a niche in my stable of axes for my home studio. If you haven’t played one yet, I highly suggest you do!

IMG-2295.jpg
Stunning! That's my fave finish. How's the back?
There’s a lot of figuring on the back. It’s a really rich dark brown that when the light hits right shows all the grain underneath. I can totally understand why this is your favorite finish. I saw quite a few specials come up for sale while I was waiting for this order. I’m glad I was patient and held on until this baby was ready.

Beautiful color choice! I love tobacco sunburst and tobacco colognes, but not a fan of smoking haha, that guitar is smoking though! Congrats, they definitely live up to the name Special. Also I feel you on the wait, I was pretty much 3 years deep waiting for mine.

Beautiful color choice! I love tobacco sunburst and tobacco colognes, but not a fan of smoking haha, that guitar is smoking though! Congrats, they definitely live up to the name Special. Also I feel you on the wait, I was pretty much 3 years deep waiting for mine.
Lol thanks! I’ve got some tobacco vanille upstairs myself, funny little coincidence.

3 years though…Wow. That wasn’t for a core model was it?

Back